Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am a new member and this is my first post. I will create an intro later in the appropriate section. But first I wanted to mention a problem I am having.

I searched through the electronics section on this forum and could not find any other posts on this specific issue. Basically sometimes I am able to play music through bluetooth, and sometimes not. My 2016 Stingray is basically stock. It has the 2LT as well as navigation and PDR and many other extras.

I use a Samsung Galaxy S8 and Tidal to play my music (downloaded for offline playing at high res). I have tried other apps for playing music as well. I have tried unpairing and repairing many times. I have tried deleting the Chevrolet MyLink in my phones bluetooth to clear all the settings. I have tried closing all apps. I have tried clearing the memory and cache. I have tried restarting the phone. I have tried just about every reasonable thing I can think of. I have no problems playing music over bluetooth to any other bluetooth device besides my Corvette.

As I stated sometimes it works, and sometimes it does not. It seems to work whenever it feels like working. I cannot see any logic to it. I can't make any sense out of it. I had a battery issue and recently put in a new battery so that is all resolved. I suspected this triggered the issue somehow because my car was giving me the notification "Service: Low battery" everytime I would start it and the voltage was displaying in red instead of white. But after I resolved the issue the music seemed to work fine. Well as far as I know my battery is good (12.6 volts). Very nice new battery from Interstate Batteries which cost $175. A small black ground wire had broken off which was still triggering these issues but I have since soldered that back into the ring near the negative battery post and it seems to be back to normal now. No errors and the voltage is in white like it should be. I am only assuming this battery problem and music issue were related. They seemed to be. Can't find any other explanation.

So my question is why am I still having the problem? I just drove a couple miles to the store and music was working fine. Then I come back to leave to drive home and I cannot play music! I mess around with it for a good ten minutes and just give up on it driving home with no music. This issue it really driving me nuts. Now I go back down to my garage to film a video about the problem and my music is back to working again. What the hell is wrong with this thing???

Anybody else having these problems? What troubleshooting steps might one try to fix this? What could be causing this issue? I really want to get this figured out.

I will mention MOST of the time it works. However, that is not good enough. I need it to work ALL of the time, not just MOST of the time.

Thanks in advance,

Jeffrey

(hope you like the picture, and yes, those are winter tires, I drive it daily)

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
I'm sorry. I don't stream bluetooth to the car. I use USB to an iPod. Sometimes it does flake out on me, but, when it does, just disconnecting the USB and reconnecting it does the trick.

·
Administrator
16,489 Posts
Jeffrey, I have a Samsung S10 and use Bluetooth to stream Amazon music to RedHot without issue. All I can suggest is to ensure your Bluetooth is turned on, on your Samsung before you start your C7, that you have selected Bluetooth through your media options on your Infotainment panel, and if your phone is 'recognized' when you start your car, you should be good to go. In my case since I am using Amazon Prime music, I am 'online' when listening. Your post indicates you are listening 'offline.' The only way I listen to music offline in RedHot is through a mini-USB stick (and of course, then selecting the USB as the input).

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I have a 2015 and experienced similar issues while using my iPhone. Even though I would play music over Bluetooth, I would charge my iphone using the USB port under the center console. All of the music playback issues were fixed when I switched to charging the iPhone from an adapter plugged into the pop up cigarette lighter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it is interesting to hear from you guys about this. I will say I have not experienced this problem many times. I have tried most all the troubleshooting steps I can imagine. I cannot find any cause to this problem. Normally, it works fine, most of the time. Just to clarify, I have never had a problem getting bluetooth to connect. It's just music playback that seems to be affected, and only on the infotainment system. I love this car, but I think the infotainment system is a joke, a cheap piece of junk, which is sad for a car that was $70k new. And I have not seen many nice newer cars in my life but I imagine they are pretty much all using the same kind of cheap junk, and I am not just talking about GM. I am really not impressed with this thing at all.

I once plugged my phone directly into the car via USB. I did not like the results of how tracks were displayed. I have a bunch of speech files as mp3. Impossible to find anything, as expected, even though all the files have full tag info fully complete. I only tried this once so I don't remember well exactly what I saw. I have a special fast charger by Samsung for use in the car, but I rarely ever plug my phone in directly to the car's USB ports because I prefer a full charge, and most of my driving is very short trips.

I don't like the music formats the Corvette supports for USB use. I don't use mp3's. I consider those super obsolete like we are back in the 90's. While slightly better than mp3, I am not going to try and convert all my audio files over to AAC just because I have a Corvette now. I have explored audio formats very extensively and ultimately selected FLAC and OggVorbis, both of which the Corvette does not support, and so therefore I will never be playing music over USB, which I fully understood well before buying this car.

I use Tidal for high resolution music which is basically like FLAC audio. It works pretty good 99.9% of the time. I use it offline when not connected to Wi-Fi to minimize my data use since I have a limited plan. I have huge amounts of music and playlists downloaded at Hi-Fi or Master quality. I have some of my own music I own on CD's converted to Ogg format on my phone as well, and I have tried playing those tracks using Samsung Music app when I was having problems playing music over bluetooth to my stingray (sorry no name for it yet) just to satisfy any doubts about Tidal being part of the problem.

As a backup plan I plan to plug in an audio cable and use the AUX function the next time music playback doesn't work over bluetooth. Not really a solution, but at least I won't be left without music.

·
Registered
410 Posts
As a backup plan I plan to plug in an audio cable and use the AUX function the next time music playback doesn't work over bluetooth. Not really a solution, but at least I won't be left without music.
I think you are on the right track, there, jeffrey952. Let your phone do the digital to analog conversion and just input the music in a format that the car's head unit recognizes.

My previous car (not a Corvette), had an AUX port that I could plug my iPod into and listen to tunes on road trips through areas without good radio reception. Then, the iPod died and I foolishly replaced it with a new iPod Nano. That device cleverly uses the earbud/earphone cables to pick up FM stations, and created audio havoc with my car's stereo. (No USB port on that older (2009) car.) Having a USB input option on my C7 overcomes that problem, but it still gets confused sometimes, as does
rdslon01's car.

Interesting about the higher-resolution audio formats, I had never looked into those. I am afraid any upgrade to my audio input will start me wondering about how many pounds of sound-deadening material would it take to drown out the tire noise, at which point I would probably become aware of a need to upgrade the factory sound system. Except for longer road trips, I generally listen to my exhaust.

Can it be a possible solution for you to play your music through Android Auto? I think your 2016 has that capability.

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
Just as a point of reference, I purchased my iPod in 2006 (I think it was approximately September).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts