Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a person in the GM infotainment division researching when/if they will make the iOS integration available in the C7 like the sonic and spark. I'm waiting to hear back, but does anyone else have info on this topic?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Good luck with the wait, I hope you get a real response vs. a canned form letter. It's universally accepted (if you consider Internet forums universal) that the target market of a vehicle dictates how much external integration is enabled. The Spark market is entry level, one where buyers would never consider spending $795 for nav integration. It's also a demographic that's completely immersed in connected technology, they would be more inclined to walk around in public naked than not have their smartphone in their hand. The corvette, impala, Silverado to SRX owner, OTOH is more inclined to want everything on one tidy package and the extra $795 is a small line item on the order sheet.

Technically there is no reason every MyLink system couldn't be fully enabled but GM is playing the numbers and the numbers say they can eek out another few hundred dollars profit from the higher end by disabling app integration and forcing you to buy their version of apps like Nav.

I agree it's BS and maybe if enough people complain they will make it available, at a cost I'm sure ;)

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with you completely. Maybe we should start a petition? Her is a link which references the Chevy SS, Chevy Impala, and a bunch of other models that will be getting iOS integration in 2014. I hope they plan to include the C7 as well.

Blog posting on gmauthority.com talking about iOS integration - http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/10...eyes-free-integration-for-select-2014-models/

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I don't know enough about what this conversation is about to add anything more than a question which may be totally irrelevant to this conversation. My question is this; Why can't the On-Star system be used to update / re-flash a Corvettes ECU, so that owners don't need to take the vehicle in to his / her dealer for that purpose?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I don't know enough about what this conversation is about to add anything more than a question which may be totally irrelevant to this conversation. My question is this; Why can't the On-Star system be used to update / re-flash a Corvettes ECU, so that owners don't need to take the vehicle in to his / her dealer for that purpose?
Chip,

You are spot on with that. With the advent of LTE the network bandwidth now exists to push multi megabyte files into memory on the vehicle and command the system to update itself whenever a new module file exists BUT, the downside ramifications are that if your back-out systems aren't flawless one bad download could disable millions of vehicles overnight.

Personally, I would rather them make the downloads available via the Internet through your My GM account so I could drop them onto a flash drive and do the update with a command on the screen. Chrysler went this route with nav system updates on the 2012 systems except they took it one step further and mailed everyone a DVD that when put into the radio initiated the update. It saved them millions vs. asking everyone to go back to the dealership.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Maybe so they can recommend a shit ton of random services once they have you and your car at the dealership?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Maybe so they can recommend a shit ton of random services once they have you and your car at the dealership?
That too :)

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
124 Posts
The iOS integration in the link above looks to refer to the Siri features and other various tid bits. The second poster was talking about nav via the BrinGo ap as far as I can tell. Those are two separate issues.

I see the iOS upgrades coming to all the systems for voice control/Siri type access. But, I highly doubt that we will see BrinGo as an option on any of the higher end model vehicles. The Spark and Sonic lines do not offer a factory Navigation system and BrinGo is the solution. All other lines do offer factory nav.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts