Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those lucky few of you who have taken or are about to take delivery of your new Stingray, did you or are you planning on buying the extended warranty at delivery? Just curious if the C7 being an all-new design if that has altered anyone's thoughts on them?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just spent an hour wuth my dealer doing just that. They have about 7 different extra warranties for the C7. I went with the extened protection plan (5 yr 75ooo mile) the tire and whell and the appearance package. Thought the theft protection and lojack were not needed as corvettes are rarely "borrowed".

·
Registered
111 Posts
Can anyone getting an extended warranty post the information with a price. The warranty can be purchased from any chevy dealer so those dealers looking for that sale should be prepared to offer the best price.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Can anyone getting an extended warranty post the information with a price. The warranty can be purchased from any chevy dealer so those dealers looking for that sale should be prepared to offer the best price.
The only thing that I know is that PA law prohibits a markup of greater than 100%. No clue about other states having or not having a cap. Correct, they are negotiable.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I just spent an hour wuth my dealer doing just that. They have about 7 different extra warranties for the C7. I went with the extened protection plan (5 yr 75ooo mile) the tire and whell and the appearance package. Thought the theft protection and lojack were not needed as corvettes are rarely "borrowed".
Does the 5/75K warranty extend the Powertrain coverage only or the "bumper to bumper?" What is the "appearance" package? Thanks.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I may go for the wheels and tires warranty, but as for extended warranty coverage.... NOT necessary.... plan on trading-in every 2-3 years!:cool:

Just LOVE that new car smell!!:D

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
The only thing that I know is that PA law prohibits a markup of greater than 100%. No clue about other states having or not having a cap. Correct, they are negotiable.
In Florida these are regulated by the Insurance commission and the prices are fixed to each company and policy (plan). Dealer's can't discount or mark them up so a real GM extended warranty should cost the same regardless which dealership sells it. It also means that it's technically illegal for you to purchase the GM plan from a dealer out of state and most know they can't sell to someone with a FL address.

I know many do but technically it's not legal.

Reactions: i10fwy

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your valuable insights. After talking to the dealer's warranty/financial guy I'm just going to go with the tire and wheel warranty. The GM coverage is complete for the first three years. After that I'll just play it by ear...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Here's the price breakdown that I received from Autonation Chev in Mesa, Az.

GM Protection Plan (5 yr, 75000 miles) $2910 Lojack $ 495
Value Care (Lube, oil filter) $ 510 Appearance Package $ 529 (covers stain iside and outside appearance)
Tire and Wheel $ 819 Paintless Dent Remove $ 329
Theft Pretection $ 249

·
18,670 Posts
Wow that seems high. Admittedly several years ago, but when the dealership 5 year, 80,000 mile GMPP warranty was listing for $1,750, I shopped around and paid $1,130.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Here's the price breakdown that I received from Autonation Chev in Mesa, Az.

GM Protection Plan (5 yr, 75000 miles) $2910 Lojack $ 495
Value Care (Lube, oil filter) $ 510 Appearance Package $ 529 (covers stain iside and outside appearance)
Tire and Wheel $ 819 Paintless Dent Remove $ 329
Theft Pretection $ 249
WOW, why don't they just sell you the car at invoice, there must be $4000 in dealer profit in that mix of "packages". I have never, nor will I ever purchase any of those "packages" at a dealership. Of course the Finance guys claim they have to "pitch" all the options due to corporate policy (trying to act like they are my friend) but I've told more than one to either shut up and get directly to the papers or I'm walking.

Word of warning, you MUST be very cautious of the line items on your purchase contract, especially if you are financing. On more than one occasion I've discovered the financed amount and the purchase price don't match. 99 times out of 100 it's because they slipped in some of these "packages".

Did I say how much I despise most dealers???????

Reactions: Sinner

·
Registered
49 Posts
I got the 84 month/56000 mile ESA package for $2075, but I was assured I can cancel with no cost in 30 or 60 days. that was the only reason I went for it, as I need to check it out further. It supposedly covers everything except normal wear stuff and a special Corvette expert is the only one that does work on the car. With my papers I got a Major Guard ally auto GM Protection Plan flyer, which I guess explains it. The billing says it's 84/56000 ESA for $2075, supposedly a 20% discount. Any comments guys?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I got 7 years, 56,000
Did they quote a 20% discount for $2075 for the Major Guard? It may be also that certain options change the cost (Z51 for example). Mine's a VY Z51 with the automatic, 2LT, and magnetic ride. Like you, had I fully known about the black carbon fiber mirror/spoiler option, I would have gotten it (it was offered to me). On the warranty though, the sales staff was not clear on whether I had 30 or 60 days to cancel.

Online it says I have 60 days to cancel if I don't use it and different deductibles costs apply on each contract.
To clear that up, it's $0 if I cancel.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Not bad.... I'll need all the details on that before I buy ours. Which company and package warranty?
I can give this to you soon. I have to pull my file, but it was offered through Classic.

·
18,670 Posts
A consideration mentioned above but worth elaborating, that if you choose to go to any insurance vendor other than General Motors, you sometimes have to incur the repair, then bill your extended coverage insurance for reimbursement, as more than a few GM's dealerships will not honor payments promised at a later date. And what do you do if that non-GM insurance company says that the type of repair you just had done, or is about to be done, is not covered by your policy, but you think it is. Conversely, with GMPP, my experience has been, no questions asked at the dealership and I paid just the deductible. Yes, have lost money buying GMPP on my two Corvettes, but heck, it is insurance and you purchase it as a hedge against a potential huge and unbudgeted loss at a later date. As an example, I took the gamble on our current Z06 as a new motor would cost about $15K..., and will buy a similar GMPP extended warranty on my StingRay (knowing it probably won't pay for itself the next time).

·
Registered
8 Posts
OP, you might check with your insurance company, (I use the green lizard), to see if they offer Mechanical Breakdown Insurance. Will need to be purchased within a specific time period or mileage, like 15 months or 15,000 miles. Mine expires after 7 years or 100,000 miles. Quote for my Corvette when delivered is $79/year with a $250 deductible. Good coverage for major components. While it is redundant coverage during the time that the new car warranty is still valid, it really proves its worth in years 4 through 7, or 36,000 miles to 100,000, whichever comes first.

After 7 years, Costco offers a Vehicle Protection Plan that works well for low mileage cars.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts