Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my nephew asked if I'd let him drive my C7 once its broken in. After I stopped laughing it got me thinking. I saw the thread here where some forum members said they were blocked from shifting to 2nd when the 1-4 kicked in. Does the MT block people from doing stupid things (like mistakenly downshifting from 7 to 2?)

·
Registered
211 Posts
But to answer your question, You can shift from any gear to any gear like a traditional manual, but under some very strict circumstances, you can be forced from 1st to 4th.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am going to guess your nephew will never accelerate slowly enough for the 1-4 issue to be in play here.
Please take video so we can all see the 7th to 2nd shift. That should be fun. Bet it goes viral.
But seriously, if he has a license and you are in the car with him, then what the heck, let the kid have some fun.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If he's going 80 mph in 7th gear and drops it into 1st, the car would accept the shift into 1st, however, the engine would be way over redline. I'm sure the corvette in 1st gear redlines at around 45-50 mph. Basically, catastrophic engine failure would occur. It would probably handle 2nd gear though, but would be pretty close to redline.

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
If he's going 80 mph in 7th gear and drops it into 1st, the car would accept the shift into 1st, however, the engine would be way over redline. I'm sure the corvette in 1st gear redlines at around 45-50 mph. Basically, catastrophic engine failure would occur. It would probably handle 2nd gear though, but would be pretty close to redline.
Yeah, those are my thoughts as well. I think it could probably handle a 7-2 shift mistake if you are not going over the speed limit.

·
Registered
242 Posts
If it makes you feel better I ground reverse in the first 100 miles :) The HUD said (R), but it was apparently just north of actually being in gear, I slowly started to move and KCHH! World's tiniest grind. Not worried in the slightest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts