Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my deposit down in May and I am #3 on my dealers list. The dealer has told me that there getting in 4-6 Z06. My issue is I see a lot of you guys have already ordered your Z06 and my guy is telling me he still has not got his allotment or any information to order. I hear the September 18 date going around, is this the date the dealers are going to know there allotment?
Are there others out there in the same boat?

This 110K is dying to make a transfer and I am dying to get behind the wheel!!!!

·
18,670 Posts
NO dealer in USA a knows their Z06 allocation yet -- not until Thursday morning, September 18th.

Please see later expansion to this statement in post # 8 below, to make it fully accurate.

However, every USA dealer can enter your Z06 order right now -- even before they have an allocation. By doing so, your dealer will generate a six digit order number, officially get you at status 1100, and if there is a mid year price increase before your dealer gets the approval/allocation to order later in the year, and if your order has your name and is marked as a "SRE" retail sold order, and if you do not change (not even drop) a single option after the date of the price increase, you would be price protected.

Also, and by your dealer entering your order right now, creating you an order number, you can go to this site and get three "exterior GM's renderings, two interior renderings" of what your car would look like -- including its wheels. However, if your dealer does not get allocation later, your car will not be built.

Chevy Order Tracking | Track Your Order | Chevrolet

Note that getting an order in to GM's WorkBench system now, as opposed to later, does not help move your car's production one day closer.

·
Registered
160 Posts
OK, so Sept 18 applies to the Z06 but how does that date apply to the other C7's? I am told that, although I do have a workbench order number, nothing can be done until Sept 18 regarding my C7 coupe.

·
Registered
30 Posts
John, why would my dealer tell me they have 4 Z-6s allocated (I'm #1 on the list)? An educated guess? They're going to take my "order"(?) Friday.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Hi John you said "NO dealer in USA a knows their Z06 allocation yet -- not until Thursday morning, September 18th" so now I'm confused because on Sept 2nd dealers were given their allocation numbers for the year? For example MacMulkin got like 175....

Do you mean the dealers don't know how many they can order that week?

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
OK, so Sept 18 applies to the Z06 but how does that date apply to the other C7's? I am told that, although I do have a workbench order number, nothing can be done until Sept 18 regarding my C7 coupe.
I believe that is true. The rumor mill has it that the factory will not offer any allocations to anyone in the US tomorrow. So, the next release of allocations to the US will be one week after that, on the 18th.

Tomorrow will will see if the rumor is true or not.

·
18,670 Posts
Thank you all for pointing out that I left out four critical words in my post # 2 above. Sorry! What I meant, and what is accurate is:

NO dealer in USA a knows their Z06 allocation yet FOR THE SEPTEMBER 18th CONSENSUS -- and will not get their consensus for that first Z06 ordering cycle until the morning of Thursday, September 18th.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I've posted about this before, but here it is. One of the big sources of confusion, hurt feelings, and heartache for prospective vette buyers is that GM uses the word "allocation" in two different contexts.

First, at the beginning of the model year, every dealer who can sell corvettes gets an estimate of his yearly number of vettes, coupe and convertible. In the case of the Z06, the dealers were just recently given this number for the delayed start of the Z06 model year. GM calls the number allocation. This is what the dealers mean when they say they are getting 4-6 Z06s, or when you tell a dealer you want a vette and they say "we have allocation." They are just telling you they don't yet have enough orders on their waiting list to cover all their expected cars, so,they think they can get you one.

Unfortunately, GM also uses the term in another way. Regularly during the model year, currently every other week, GM conducts a consensus cycle, where they tell each dealer how many of what car, and with what constrained items, the dealer can order. This info comes out on a Thursday, and the number is again called an "allocation." Confusing, huh? Say your dealer is small, and only gets 1 car for the consensus cycle. It may be in the form of " 1 coupe, may be Z51, cannot have Visible CF roof, or FAY CF dash." Therefore, the dealer checks his order list and sees if he has an order to match. Technically, he could assign the allocation to an order with out the Z51 package, but most dealers will search for the oldest order with the Z51 package and assign that. He may ask a prospective owner if they are willing to give up the CF roof and dash to get in on this consensus, or just pass and go to an order that doesn't include those items.

A big dealer may see "20 cars, 12 with Z51, 6 with standard roof, 4 with Visible CF roof, 8 with FAY," or some combination thereof. On the constrained items, the real big vette dealers tend to get a greater share of constrained items than smaller ones.

For the 18 Sep consensus cycle, as Elegant mentioned, the first Z06 orders will be allocated, and GM is already saying only M7 coupes will be available initially. And of course, regular Stingray coupes and convertibles should also get their bi-weekly consensus on Sep 18th.

Anyway, the dealer will take whatever allocations GM sends him, trying to match orders on his list to the allocations. If the first order doesn't match the constraints of his allocations, he has a few choices. He can keep going down his list until he gets to an order that does match. He can ask if the customer is willing to change his order to match the allocation ( for my Z06 order, I have already told my dealer if the standard roof is constrained when my order comes up, change it to the transparent top and turn that order in.). He can order a car for his dealer stock, if none of his customer orders match the allocation (one of the reasons so many '14 convertibles ended up on dealer lots at the end of the '14 model year. Not as many orders as Chevy expected.). In rare cases, the dealer can pass up the allocation or trade it to another dealer for something in demand (many small dealers don't want a vette in the showroom and on the books.)

So the two meanings for allocation get confused all the time, especially when a dealer says "I have allocation," and you order a car with lots of constrained options. Then, when bi-the weekly consensus comes out, and they say "we don't have an allocation for your order."

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Great explanation Fdxpilot, my small dealer got four total corvettes for 2014, but he did not get his first allocation for 9 months after they could be ordered. They know how many they are supposed to get, but not when they will get them. When I ordered mine there were only 3 months left in the MY where 2014's could be ordered, so I knew I would get my allocation picked up within 3 months of my order. As it was it was picked up 2 weeks after I placed the order. As John stated, the dealer needs to place the order into the system regardless of when GM picks it up. Depending on the dealer and how many allocations he is going to get, it could be weeks or months before the OP's order is picked up by GM.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Thank you all for pointing out that I left out four critical words in my post # 2 above. Sorry! What I meant, and what is accurate is:

NO dealer in USA a knows their Z06 allocation yet FOR THE SEPTEMBER 18th CONSENSUS -- and will not get their consensus for that first Z06 ordering cycle until the morning of Thursday, September 18th.

Appears dealers are receiving first allocations today!.............

Consensus Cycle Begins!!!!!!!!! - Corvette Forum

From: ConsensusNotification/US/GM/GMC [mailto:ConsensusNotification/US/GM/GMC] On Behalf Of ConsensusNotification/US/GM/[email protected]
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2014 7:49 AM
To: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: 260340 - September 2014 Consensus Cycle 1 Begins

Consensus Cycle 1 begins Thursday, September 11 at 7 a.m. ET.

Please submit Consensus in Order Workbench before the cycle closes on Monday at 9 p.m. ET.

·
18,670 Posts
Sorry, but not true. Just got off the phone with a top five dealer and he tried to enter his first priority Z06 into the system, only to find there is still no Z06 ordering section. (Both Mike @Criswell and Ken Fitchner have verified this.)

First Z06 consensus remains as earlier reported, next Thursday.

·
Registered
12 Posts
J,

Bob got that info from me. I did briefly talk with my dealer this morning and will have a chance to talk with him more at length tomorrow. He said that he has been told that the Z06 ordering section should be active by the time the consensus closes Monday night. I will find out more from both he and the district sales manager tomorrow and report back. Of course, as with the allocation delay, anything is possible.

J.

·
18,670 Posts
Thanks Glenn for further checking. The first Z06 consensus will not be easy for dealers and 100% of the time, DSOP is a five day process, so opening up things Monday night is completely different from the norm. Any clarification you could find would be appreciated.

Dealers need two major pieces of info for the first Z06 consensus, i.e., first if there are any constraints on Z06 options, and second their exact first allocation Z06 allowances, including if they are specifically shut out of any Z06 options that are not totally eliminated for the biggest dealers. Lots to deal with, in a reduced time frame DSOP process, especially as many dealers will want call their customers, as per this thread, see if they are willing to compromise on any options.

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/corvette-z06-purchasing/6440-september-18th-z06-fun-begins.html

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I'm beginning to wonder if there just isn't a bit of confusion on the part of some dealers between the Stingray and the Z06 consensus and DSOP. I can understand where that could possibly cloudy the waters and come into play.

·
Registered
873 Posts
J,

Bob got that info from me. I did briefly talk with my dealer this morning and will have a chance to talk with him more at length tomorrow. He said that he has been told that the Z06 ordering section should be active by the time the consensus closes Monday night. I will find out more from both he and the district sales manager tomorrow and report back. Of course, as with the allocation delay, anything is possible.

J.
Sounds like, although the Z06 section of the software will be active Monday, if no dealers get a Z allocation today (which I'm pretty sure they won't,) nothing will happen until Thursday, 18 Sep, exactly as announced previously. People keep trying to make mountains out of those molehills.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If I can... I am a bit confused and I know that most may not be able to answer to Canadian priorities at all but....

My order was initiated on the GM WorkBench for my Z06 last week. It is 1100 and complete right now. Am I reading that US ordering hasnt opened up yet to allow same?? Also, I am confused as to the allocation process. How is the vehicle allocation completed; is there a code that is attached to the order that brings it from 1100 to 2000? And then... will those codes all be provided at the same time to give GM an idea of what they will need for the complete order, or do the codes get applied (if it is codes) throughout the production season?

Thanks for the help in advance...

·
Registered
873 Posts
If I can... I am a bit confused and I know that most may not be able to answer to Canadian priorities at all but....

My order was initiated on the GM WorkBench for my Z06 last week. It is 1100 and complete right now. Am I reading that it cannot be yet done in the US? Also, I am confused as to the allocation process. How is the vehicle allocation completed; is there a code that is attached to the order that brings it from 1100 to 2000? And then... will those codes all be provided at the same time to give GM an idea of what they will need for the complete order, or do the codes get applied (if it is codes) throughout the production season?

Thanks for the help in advance...
Please read this thread

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...urgent-order-delivery-useful-information.html

As well as my post earlier in this thread (post #9.) There are hundreds of Z06 orders entered and in the system at status 1100 already. All that means is your order has been entered. Until the consensus allocation begins and your order is assigned by your dealer to an allocation, nothing else will happen. When your order is assigned to an allocation, at the end of the 5 day process (starts on Thursday morning and is finalized on Tuesday afternoon,) it will move to status 2000 "Order accepted by GM." This is the first point where your order is pretty much guaranteed to be built, as status 1100 holds no guarantee.

I don't know about Canada, but here in the US, a dealer can look up your status at any time with a few keystrokes. The good dealers know how maddening this process can be, and will keep you updated every time your status changes.

As mentioned by myself and others, Chevy has already announced that the Sep 18th consensus, starting next Thursday, will be the first time dealers can actually get an allocated order for a Z06 accepted by GM.

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
522 Posts
Sorry... I did read the thread and it wasn't that clear but thanks...it is now. I guess I was just getting confused in the wording somebody used when referring to what was to occur next (or on the 18th). And thank you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts