Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
16,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following very informative article was written by jagamajajaran aka Jeremy Welborn:

Is the Mid-Engine Corvette Practical for the Long Haul Road Trip?

By Jeremy Welborn — Apr 28, 2021

It was August of 2017 when my wife and I took a road trip from Oklahoma to Oregon and back in our 2017 Grand Sport Coupe. There was plenty of room for our luggage and detailing supplies as we headed out to see our good friends, John and Annie Elegant, and to be their guests at a local Corvette show. There is no question that the 7th Generation Corvette Coupe can handle whatever you need to bring along for an extended road trip.

Fast forward to April, 2021, for the trip we just returned home from in our 2020 Corvette Coupe. This adventure would span 7 days and 2800 miles and would take us to the National Corvette Museum for the annual NCM Bash followed by an extended trip hosted by the Lone Star Corvette Club that would take us to the Ark Encounter in Williamstown, Kentucky, and on to the Cumberland Gap National Park, and finally to North Carolina for a visit to Rick Hendrick Performance. We would be showing the Corvette at the NCM’s Celebrity Choice Corvette Show, so detailing supplies would also be a necessity on the packing list.

One of the first things I did after I took delivery of my 2020 Corvette was to find a rolling duffle bag with a hard sided lower section that would fit in the rear cargo area and still leave plenty of room for other items. This bag would be the key to maximizing cargo space and providing any hope of taking the car on a trip that would require detailing the car as well.

So, is the Mid-Engine Corvette practical for the long haul road trip? After personally driving 2800 miles over a 7 day period with luggage, detailing supplies, tools, and souvenirs, I can without reservation answer that question with a resounding “Yes!” It is truly remarkable how much you can store inside the 8th Generation Corvette. And not only that, but the ride over those 2800 miles wasn’t wearisome at all. My wife even found it easier to sleep in this Corvette than any other she’s been in and took advantage of the opportunity to nap on many occasions along the way. So, if you’re considering a lengthy road trip in your Mid-Engine Corvette, the only advice left to give is this…get out there and enjoy the drive!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Great to read! I have taken three such trips in our C7 and have always assumed it has more room than the C8, but Jeremy's story makes it pretty clear that there is plenty of room in the new one.So that checks off one more excuse not to own one. (I still have to figure a way to trade in my current wife on a more car-centric one). --Bob

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Great to read! I have taken three such trips in our C7 and have always assumed it has more room than the C8, but Jeremy's story makes it pretty clear that there is plenty of room in the new one.So that checks off one more excuse not to own one. (I still have to figure a way to trade in my current wife on a more car-centric one). --Bob
My thoughts exactly Bob. I could buy a C8 with the same colors as my C7 and it would be several weeks before my wife would notice. Now the deficit in our bank account would be difficult to explain. 🤔

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
My thoughts exactly Bob. I could buy a C8 with the same colors as my C7 and it would be several weeks before my wife would notice. Now the deficit in our bank account would be difficult to explain. 🤔
Ha Ha Paul--my wife is the same. I did buy a 2019 BMW 540xi to replace a 2010 BMW 535xi in late 2019, both were the exact same colors, dark blue with a tan interior. I considered just "taking my 2010 in for service" one day and coming back with the new one, and I am certain it could have taken her a year or two to notice, but I knew than when she did I would be toast. So I told her about it after I had ordered it. My other car was nine years old anyway. Turns out she was OK with it, but it is always a risk. I figure the best way to slip in a C8 would be to win one in an NCM raffle and just shrug my shoulders. So far, however, I have only made donations to the NCM. Of course when I win I will need somewhere to put it as my wife will not agree to park under a lift. --Bob

Reactions: Henry427

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
When I owned a '98 torch red Corvette, several times my wife would see a red Trans Am and say, "Look, there's a Corvette just like ours." 😕

Reactions: warp ten
1 - 5 of 5 Posts