Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was curious if there is a recommended "service" on / for the Z-51 E-Diff hyd. system, and if so, @ what mileage? It is a sealed, self bleeding system so I wondered if it requires service.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was reading the manual last night, and I believe that neither the diff or transmission need oil changing.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I was reading the manual last night, and I believe that neither the diff or transmission need oil changing.
You sir are correct, I have never owned a car or truck that has a regular scheduled maintenance Diff or Tanny oil ever they are seal units.:cool:
Chime in if anyone can prove this other wise

·
Registered
480 Posts
Is there a service interval indicated in the owners manuel for the Z-51 E-Diff.?

I don't know what the manual says as I don't yet have my vette, but the diffs on my dodge truck are supposed to have fluid changes every 20k. All the rears I encounter are not sealed, they are vented to account for gas and fluid expansion and contraction, especially in different environmental conditions.

That said, my tri-axle dump trucks run synthetic 80w90 and the mfr suggests 100,000 mile changes. Those rears are also vented, and they see a LOT more dirt than your corvette will ever think about. My opinion, once you have a high quality synthetic in your diff, change it at 5yrs or 100,000 if you are concerned about moisture or dirt contamination. I have the same opinion of transmission fluid for manual transaxles. My Altima that I kept for 200,000 had the trans oil changed once, and it did shift a bit cleaner after the fluid change at 100,000 mi.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys; One thing you need to be aware of is that the Z-51 E-Diff utilizes two different fluids. The diff. is segregated / partitioned to keep the two fluids from mixing. One is the traditional hypoid grease the other is a hyd. fluid that is the medium that provides the pressures via a pressure pump that dictate pressures to the clutch packs in the E-Diff. I would have thought that the hyd. side of this system would require some sort of fluid flush/ change. I would also think that the grease would be changed at the same interval as in the base car. I was in hopes that there would be some service information in the manual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts