Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this question to satisfy my own curiosity as much as to see if this issue is wide spread. I was going to specify Z-51's only, but thought it would be useful to have all owners reply. Please make sure if you respond to this thread that you have your mileage and whether your car is a base car or Z-51 listed somewhere in your response. Also, if you do see oil around your air filter check your oil level (on a warm engine) and report what that is using the upper and lower hash marks on the dip stick as a reference. Thanks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Me! Z51, manual 2028mi and dealer says oil is measuring normal. Referenced a TSB from March.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
186 Posts
Had small amount when changing air filter at 5,000 miles. had it cleaned out by service department at 6500 mile oil change. Was told it could be caused by too much oil in the system or driving it hard. will check the area again at 8500 miles.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, at 2600 miles; I found a half a teaspoon amount at the intake. Z51 model. Oil filled to proper level (ie. not overfilled).
I broke the car in easy for the first 1500 miles and then did some skid pad testing and spirited mountain driving.
Dealer told me not to be concerned.
Did a track day and checked it again after that. Again a small amount, but still present.
Dealer keeps telling me that small amount is normal and not to be concerned.

I'm not overly concerned, but am very interested......

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply's. Do me the favor of citing exact oil levels in your reply's. Like top of cross hatch area, middle, lower range. It might also be useful to know if you have done any track runs and if you added (extra for Z-51) oil for those track runs. I understand you are supposed to drain off this added oil after track work.

·
Banned
631 Posts
Anyone following Chip's suggestion? I would like to see how all are checking oil levels, and where they are running them on the dry sump of course..

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a Z51 with 4000 miles. I recently replaced the stock filter with a Green Filter and did not notice any oil around the filter or throttle body. My oil level is within 1/16" below the full mark. I also recently installed a oil catch can from Elite Engineering. I checked it after a 500 mile trip to a car show and I had about 1/16" accumulation of oil in the can.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I've seen this, but I want to gather more info. along with more detail about the cars involved and mileage when the issue was noticed.
Chip, Tracy's thread on The C7 and oil ingestion issues with Direct Injection appears to have considerable merit from an oil control stand point. I'll be very interested to follow this thread as well as this is a serious issue, though hidden to most owners of the C7. It's definitely got my attention.......

·
Registered
163 Posts
Chip, Tracy's thread on The C7 and oil ingestion issues with Direct Injection appears to have considerable merit from an oil control stand point. I'll be very interested to follow this thread as well as this is a serious issue, though hidden to most owners of the C7. It's definitely got my attention.......
This is by far my biggest concern with the C7. I think Tracy really knows what he's talking about.

booie

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree 100% and that's why I created this thread so that owners can keep the forum informed as to what you are seeing in this area, but we need more people to check their cars and report back.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There are a few threads that I can post this into, but I will put it in this one to start with. These two posts seem to fit this topic, and perhaps will go towards contributing to our knowledge of this problem, and possibly a GM fix as they see more reports of the issue.

1)Problem -"Oil Splatter - PCV System
Took mine into dealer for oil leak. Told me it was coming from the PCV system. Oil was in the airbox and all over the front crossmember. Dealer said this is the second one they've seen and it is discussed in Tech Bulletin PIP5165A which I have not seen. My car has 1800 miles and the leak started just a few days ago. Anyone know where I can get a copy of this bulletin or have seen this issue before?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2) Problem - "C7 Vert major oil leak, the oil is leaking form the front passenger side only 2900 miles. My car has been in the shop for six days now.

Work done -"SERVICE INVOICE
"THE PCV VALVES WERE STUCK CAUSING OIL TO GET INTO AIR FILTER BOX. REPLACED BOTH PCV VALVE PIPES . REPLACED AIR FILTER AND CLEANED OIL OUT OF BREATHER BOX.

23107355 ELEMENT 1
12659195 TUBE 1
12658088 TUBE 1
**MEMO W3"

·
Registered
504 Posts
Ok guys here is what I found after a 3000 mile trip. I popped off the air cleaner inlet tube today to see if I could see any oil in the air filter. Well I never got to the filter because I felt oil in the air inlet where I disconnected it from the air box. I stuck a rag in there and this is what I found.
Oil ingestion 2.jpg
It appears to be at least a teaspoon of oil that was laying in the air inlet between the air cleaner housing and the flexible air pipe that leads into the throttle body assembly. I have correctly checked the oil level as per the manual and it is 1/8" below the top of the hash marks. I have never added or removed oil and it has never been changed. The car was not tracked or driven really hard or cornered any harder than normal up to about .68 gs is the highest I had ever seen the g meter. It is a Z51.
I believe this is pcv oil ingestion as there is no other explanation for it unless GM has really screwed up the dipstick markings, or something is causing oil to be burped up out of the tank.
I have an appointment with Abel Chevrolet next Wednesday for them to change the air filter, change the oil and give me a reason for this to have happened. I already have the RX Catch can ready to go depending on what GM tells me.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 274 Posts