Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, first off, I am a new member as I just initiated "PHASE 1" of my Stingray purchase. I'm thrilled beyond belief. Went down to Jeff Gordon Chevrolet on Saturday and pulled the trigger and they'll be ordering my C7 on Tuesday (tomorrow). I asked the Dealer about the NCM delivery. He said it was a great experience and asked if I had plans of trailering it or driving it back (I live in Eastern NC). I told him driving of course! He said that it may not be a wise choice since the weather in that part of Kentucky is not like the weather out here in Eastern NC. Hence, the summer tires rolling around Kentucky and the Smokey Mountains and the variables.

Anyway, is this typically an issue in Bowling Green around that time of the year? Should I reconsider doing this? I really want the experience but if it's going to be a hassle to bring my baby back to the stable... bag it. I don't have a trailer big enough to put her on.... I have the truck to haul it.... just not the trailer, and plus, i'd like to drive it home. Nice leisurely 12 hour drive back to the house with the wife and I.

Any thoughts? Recommendations? I have until tomorrow to do this.

Thanks all! And this is my first post. New member!

S/F
Mark

·
Registered
209 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Did they give you any idea when you might get it? That could be the deciding factor.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Late March / Early April shouldn't be a problem if you plan on taking the super slab (I-40).
Back roads might be a different story. Who knows with this crazy weather.
Just keep this guy in mind .....

Reactions: usmcstinger

·
Registered
209 Posts
Guess I totally missed the title to this. Lol.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Hey usmcstinger, you might want to reconsider, especially with the current weather, if they are only talking like 4 - 6 weeks, but any longer than that and I bet you would be fine. I was planning to order very late this year in order to get a January 2015 delivery, since my current vehicle lease is up the first week of February 2015. I want to do museum delivery too, but decided it wouldn't work for the exact same reason (unknown weather factor). I decided to order it in August in hopes of getting delivery in say October or early November, just so I can do the museum delivery. I'll just do two payments for a few months. This will be my first Corvette and I want the whole experience. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Placed my order Dec 26 for a z51 hoping for late April, early May museum delivery. I40 in western NC can be bad in the winter.
Did not want to deal with weather with a new Corvette. If you just ordered , winter will probably be over by the time your car is produced. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
why would April in Kentucky be a problem? Frankly I think far too many people overthink this museum thing, I'd have no problem picking up a car at the museum about 10 out of the 12 months in a year and if I was going south, the full 12 months would be no problem. Going slow. these tires don't self detruct like you read about on the forums.

I'd be very interested if the museum could tell you about a car picked up and had tire destruction....I'll bet they can't....if these tires are that bad in the winter, why is the museum still delivering cars in January?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Weather in Bowling Green can be very unpredictable. Today we were 15 and on Saturday we will be 55 degrees. In March it has been known to have a light amount of snow EARLY in the month - we got 4" in early March 2008 but not again in March since then. April is better but can be cold and rainy. Now heading East toward NC through the mountains is another story. I agree - you would need to stay on I-65 & I-40 to avoid any problems. Basically, that time of year is a crap shoot. LOL Congratulations on your new Corvette though!~

Museum delivery is top notch. However, please be sure to come by the plant for a regular tour if you did not opt to get the Buyer's Tour. We love having guests visit and see where their "dream" was born!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Love the responses. I really appreciate it. When we moved out here/got stationed here.... It was summer and we moved from recruiting duty in Nebraska. Being an Oregon native... I'm not too afraid of crappy weather. I was just curious about the weather to get out of Kentucky. You all are amazing and great. I appreciate it.

Totally taking the factory tour. Wife and I have friends in Nashville as well as Asheville.... So we may take the very long way home. No sweat.

Now I just have to find a good contact on how to track my order. Ordered my C7 on 1/4/14. Supposedly at 1000 status. Ugh....

If I have to drive through Alabama to Florida to NC..... I will.

I can hardly contain myself. First Vette. Crazy excited.
MB.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

1 - 10 of 10 Posts