Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard of Jack Pucks for the first time on the forum. What are their purpose, and where do you get them? Are they vehicle specific?

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
Let me add another question: what happens of you don't use them? Do you get scratches on the car's under frame?

·
Registered
147 Posts
The jacking pucks are used to allow a safe method of jacking the car up. There are several different type available, a hard plastic version and aluminum. I bought a set of four of the plastic ones from RPI Designs. They are designed to fit into openings on the frame and remain in place. They won't fall out and prevent damage to the underside of the car by providing a place for a jack to lift the car. Someone not familiar with jacking up a Corvette can easily damage the rocker panel areas. They are a good thing to have if you plan on doing any work on the car yourself. Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't they show when left in? Can't you just put them in when you want to jack up the car?

Sent from my iPad

·
Registered
993 Posts
Don't they show when left in? Can't you just put them in when you want to jack up the car?

Sent from my iPad
Not really unless you are flat on the ground looking under the car. I'm leaving the snap in ones in place as they much less likely to be put away and forgotten somewhere.

Reactions: phantom

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Can these be purchased at Chevrolet Parts? I will be changing my C7's oil myself.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Since I've not yet taken delivery I'm a bit confused here on something. If you jack up the car at the jack points near the tires how do you get the car onto jack stands? Is there a center jack point in the middle at the front and rear of the car?

That's how I do it on my S2000 lift at the front center jack point, lift up the front put on jack stands then place the jack in the back at the differential raise the car and put the car on the jack stands.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Good points all around… Yes if you put the jack over the puck, then you don't really have a place for you to put the jackstand I usually put it right behind us the puck on the frame and if you don't insulate the jackstand you will scratch the frame. Yes you can jack in the front and the rear, there's a picture of it somewhere here....you basically catch a crossmember in front and back , they work fine , they assume that you're going to leave the car on the Jack while you do work which in itself is dangerous. Nevertheless I use them because I do like the fact that they cover the hole that is left for a specific type of Jack and I do jack from time to time and leave it on the Jack itself for a wheel cleaning, etc....

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought some from southerncarparts.com and the first time IO jacked car up the puck shattered. I have to but a small polishing pad between puck and jack plate to keep jot from breaking. CHeap plastic I guess.

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
I bought some from southerncarparts.com and the first time IO jacked car up the puck shattered. I have to but a small polishing pad between puck and jack plate to keep jot from breaking. CHeap plastic I guess.
I just removed my link to southerncarparts.com which I was going to use. If they send you free replacements, post back and let us know how it goes so I will again consider them. Thanks!

·
Registered
993 Posts
Got mine from Corvette Mods. So far been up on the lift a dozen times with no issues. I also the plastic snap in ones and I would suspect both vendors are selling the same parts.
photo-13.JPG

·
Registered
810 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. Never liked using ramps. Always afraid something horrible will happen, ie, give it too much gas and shoot over top of ramp. When you guys figure out the jack stand/jacking configuration, let us know.

·
Registered
810 Posts
BTW Dasyatis, very jealous of your lift.

·
18,670 Posts
I heard of Jack Pucks for the first time on the forum. What are their purpose, and where do you get them? Are they vehicle specific?
Yes, they are specific to the vehicle, that is the C7 pucks are smaller in diameter than those for the C6. When every StingRay is built, the very first body panel that is put onto the car is the rocker panel, and then the adjoining panels are placed/spaced from the rocker. It is a key panel. If one doesn't use jacking pucks, or the alternative method outlined in the owner manual, and instead uses a regular jack without a puck under the rocker panels, you will, almost all of the time, crack the rocker panels. Much, much safer to use jacking pucks, either the pop-in "pop-in permanent ones" or "the place in only when using them" kind. However, using the latter ones, even with a low rise floor jack, it gets tricky, as you are both trying to get the puck "oval nipple" to exactly fit into the hole in the bottom of the rocker, while insuring you simultaneously place the bottom of that puck exactly in the middle of your "jack cradle." After fumbling around with the latter kind for my C6, the permanent pop-in ones are what I will be buying for my C7.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got mine from Corvette Mods. So far been up on the lift a dozen times with no issues. I also the plastic snap in ones and I would suspect both vendors are selling the same parts.
View attachment 5663
Dasyatis,
What kind of lift is that? Will it fit in an avg. 2 car garage?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Dasyatis,
What kind of lift is that? Will it fit in an avg. 2 car garage?
Max jax. It should fit since you can pick the mounting points and have multiple locations if you like. It'll lift about 48" which works well for sitting on a rollerized stool. You'll just need to be wary of clearance above the car depending on the garage and door openers

1 - 20 of 45 Posts