Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm waiting for my financial situation to fall perfectly in place before I get my C7 (translation=saving money for a while longer). To make my wait easier and the ultimate realization of the goal more satisfying, I'd like to increase my excitement about the car to a level higher than it already is. Believe me, I never shut up about the thing, my wife and son roll their eyes at this point. I've never driven a C7 but read plenty about it's performance. My only Vette driving experience was a 2010 C6 that I briefly test drove a few months ago before deciding to go for the C7. Frankly I didn't push it hard at all but was amazed at the acceleration during one brief highway on ramp and the subsequent few miles I drove on the highway.

It's hard to grasp just how powerful and exciting to drive the C7 is from the things I have read. In your own words please try to make me understand what it's like. Amp my excitement up to ridiculous levels!

Also I've driven plenty of 5 and 6 speed vehicles but I have to admit I'm a bit intimidated by the C7's 7 speed manual. How difficult is it to get the hang of the 7 speed?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Doc it is the most powerful vehicle that I have ever driven in over 40 years of driving. Rolling at 15 to 20 mph if you stomp on it in first, you will "Light" the tires up very easily. I don't mean chirp them either, I mean light them up. Zero to 100 mph comes very quickly usually before I hit 4th gear if I am winding it up. Merging onto a highway on a ramp is the way I usually have a bit of fun, but again it is so easy to quickly go well over the speed limit you have to rein yourself in. As far as the 7 speed, piece of cake, I never use 7th gear, I did on my highway trip briefly, but I saw no mileage benefit from it. To me it would be more for if we had an autobahn, as it seems like it would be great for cruising at over 100 mph. You are going to love it!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
docprego
I echo the above statement, it is more car than you will ever need. At 460 hp it's not get up and go, it's get up and gone.

When entering the highway I was taught to pick your hole and adjust your speed to merge in with the flow of traffic. It is very easy to over shoot your merge spot.

You can hit 90 mph without realizing it. The car drives like a dream and is as smooth as silk.

It will be well worth the wait for this car. My wife was against the car, she rolled eyes, thought it was too much money for a car etc. She drives it more than I do and it has now almost become her DD.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Power to spare but the stock shifter is sloppy. Installed a Seven Shooter shifter...smooth, accurate shifts...absolutely awesome. It transformed the shifting experience...I never stop smiling!

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
How powerful? Well, the legendary 1967 L88* was commonly rated at around 560HP (gross), while the new Stingray is rated at 460HP (net).

A common rule of thumb conversion between the two is net = 0.8 * gross.

You do the math.

*20 originally built, 14 remain.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ditto on all of the above. Doc the 7 speed in very nice. I use 7th gear 75-80 mph and above. Your going to really like your C7 when you finally get it.:cool:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am an average driver and had no prior experience with any "muscle" or other high-performance cars. I have the base model with the manual transmission, and I find it more than sufficient for my needs. When I want quick acceleration, it is there, whatever the driving situation. 7th gear I find useful only in rare situations, but I hope to take the car to a track some day and see what it can do. I think the best indication of the magnificence of the C7 is to look at comments and reviews by expert drivers, and from what I have seen everyone has been very highly impressed. It is hard to imagine that you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I am an average driver and had no prior experience with any "muscle" or other high-performance cars. I have the base model with the manual transmission, and I find it more than sufficient for my needs. When I want quick acceleration, it is there, whatever the driving situation. 7th gear I find useful only in rare situations, but I hope to take the car to a track some day and see what it can do. I think the best indication of the magnificence of the C7 is to look at comments and reviews by expert drivers, and from what I have seen everyone has been very highly impressed. It is hard to imagine that you will be disappointed.
If you can do it, take advantage of the Spring Mountain school discount. You will really be impressed with the capability of this car.

·
18,669 Posts
When the world's most "Corvette critical folks," England's TOP GEAR, rave about the new StingRay, you know this is one special car.

As to the question, "how powerful???," it has within 1% of the torque of the 505HP, C6 Z06. The StingRay is a beautiful beast!

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you can do it, take advantage of the Spring Mountain school discount. You will really be impressed with the capability of this car.
THIS. This this this a million times this. When you buy a C7 you get a discounted 2 day school at Spring Mountain, the price goes down to $1,000 (from $2500). DO IT. Don't even think about it just DO IT. There is nothing in the world that will teach you how to really drive and control your Corvette than a driving school, and Spring Mountain has all Z51 C7s for you to drive. You will come out of it a MUCH better driver, if you've never done a driving school before. And you in particular (docprego) have no excuse because you're in Henderson. Spring Mountain is like a half hour away from you, it's over in Pahrump. :)

My gf ordered her C7 a few weeks ago, and we're BOTH going to do the Corvette school at Spring Mountain, even though we've both already done it before. In fact here's me at Spring Mountain in a Z06, from a couple years back:

As far as how powerful the C7 is, it's really relative to your own experiences. If you're used to slower cars it's going to feel insanely fast. If you're used to a Lamborghini Aventador, it probably won't feel that fast. I daily drive a 720 HP Cadillac CTS-V, so to me the C7 isn't that fast but that doesn't mean I love it any less - the C7 is one of my favorite cars. It's not just about speed, it's everything. Chassis, handling, braking, the way it makes you feel when you drive it. Power is great, but it's not everything. I've never been a fan of traditional muscle cars that can only do one thing - go fast in a straight line. I like my sports cars to be more balanced, and that's what the C7 is. And that's why I have a CTS-V, too. GM puts a lot more emphasis on the total package than Ford or Dodge do.

So to answer your question, it's very powerful. You get on the gas and you're gone. But it's also balanced, it does everything well, not just speed. As far as the 7 speed transmission, it's exactly like any other manual, all the gears are in the same place, there's just an extra one for 7th. And in case I wasn't clear enough before, DO THE SPRING MOUNTAIN SCHOOL. :D

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Wow appreciate all the responses. I'll add this: to this point the most powerful car I have ever owned or driven (with the exception of the C6 test drive) was a Hyundai Genesis 2.0 turbo. Don't laugh that car felt like it had a lot of power to me, but I guess it all comes down to your frame of reference.

I completely plan to take the Ron Fellows driving school course. As a matter of fact I visited the school last week, take a look at my thread with pictures and videos: http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...t-ron-fellows-performance-driving-school.html

·
Administrator
16,283 Posts
docprego, why don't you drop by one of the local dealers and ask to take a test drive in a C7 with the manual trans? Then you will get a true feel for how fantastic this car is. The C7 manual is very easy to use, I did all of my Ron Fellows driving in the Z51 manual except one run in an automatic. My Stingray is an automatic. My Porsche (just prior to my Stingray) was a 6 speed. No issues going from one to the other. And the rev match is perfect especially if you are a bit hesitant in your double clutching and/or heel-toe (or as you will learn at Ron Fellows, heel roll for the closely spaced clutch and accelerator pedals) on downshifts. If you have further questions, feel free to drop by Cars and Coffee any Saturday and talk with me or some of the other Vette owners there. :cool:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
docprego, why don't you drop by one of the local dealers and ask to take a test drive in a C7 with the manual trans? Then you will get a true feel for how fantastic this car is. The C7 manual is very easy to use, I did all of my Ron Fellows driving in the Z51 manual except one run in an automatic. My Stingray is an automatic. My Porsche (just prior to my Stingray) was a 6 speed. No issues going from one to the other. And the rev match is perfect especially if you are a bit hesitant in your double clutching and/or heel-toe (or as you will learn at Ron Fellows, heel roll for the closely spaced clutch and accelerator pedals) on downshifts. If you have further questions, feel free to drop by Cars and Coffee any Saturday and talk with me or some of the other Vette owners there. :cool:
As scarce as these cars have been at local dealers I didn't even fathom that a test drive was a possibility. Plus I know I'm not 100% ready to buy yet so I would hate to get myself in that uncomfortable situation.

·
Registered
307 Posts
My test drive is what convinced me to make the purchase. Call ahead - not all dealerships offer test drives.

·
Administrator
16,283 Posts
As scarce as these cars have been at local dealers I didn't even fathom that a test drive was a possibility. Plus I know I'm not 100% ready to buy yet so I would hate to get myself in that uncomfortable situation.
When you are ready let me know, I think I can arrange a test drive for you where I purchased mine.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When you are ready let me know, I think I can arrange a test drive for you where I purchased mine.
I appreciate that very much. Can you say which dealer it was or PM it to me please?

·
Administrator
16,283 Posts
Henderson Chevrolet. More details when you are closer to deciding. :cool:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I live in Henderson. Perfect.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts