Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I am pumped to say that I will soon be replacing my 2011 BMW 335i M-Sport coupe as I recently placed an order for a new 2015 Z51 2LT C7 Stingray in white with black wheels, red competition racing seats, carbon fiber interior, automatic transmission and sport exhaust. (I opted out of getting the magnetic ride control as I probably will only ever track-day the car maybe once every year or two along with the fact that it will only be driven once or twice a week (I

Being that I have never ordered a car before that takes 4-6 months to arrive - I have a few questions:

About two weeks ago the dealer took the required $1,000 deposit to place the order. So far that is it. As to getting that tracking number where I can follow along online - the salesman said we first have to wait now on the inventory manager to receive an approval from GM. He said waiting for this approval from GM is the longest process of the purchase.

I just wanted to double check and see if this is true and the standard procedure? I would think that they would accept all orders right away? So do I just now wait a few months till GM accepts it and then I get the tracking number?

Thanks!

-Greg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yep that's how it was for me on my 2014. Ordered nov 1 and did not get tracking number until February 15 or so, car was built an ready mar 18

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Administrator
16,497 Posts
Welcome to our forum Greg! As Glen indicated we have a couple of threads specifically designed to answer most if not all of your initial questions. Enjoy! :cool:

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
Welcome taxman Greg!

I see you are a neighbor here in the S.F. Bay Area/Silicon Valley. With which dealership did you visit and place your deposit?

You do not have to wait on GM to grant approval to receive an order number. You do have to wait on GM before the order is accepted for production. Different dealerships will have different numbers of allocated production slots depending on their past sales history. Again, with which dealership did you place your deposit?

So, what he told you isn't quite true, but it isn't completely misleading either.

-Rodney

About two weeks ago the dealer took the required $1,000 deposit to place the order. So far that is it. As to getting that tracking number where I can follow along online - the salesman said we first have to wait now on the inventory manager to receive an approval from GM. He said waiting for this approval from GM is the longest process of the purchase.

I just wanted to double check and see if this is true and the standard procedure? I would think that they would accept all orders right away? So do I just now wait a few months till GM accepts it and then I get the tracking number?

Reactions: thrilled

·
Registered
582 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Greg, welcome aboard and congrats on your C7 order. Search the forum and make yourself a checklist.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome taxman Greg!

I see you are a neighbor here in the S.F. Bay Area/Silicon Valley. With which dealership did you visit and place your deposit?
Hey Rodney! Thanks for the welcome - I actually ordered it through a dealership in TX. Long story but I will be doing a fun canonball run like drive back up the coast once it arrives from the factory in TX :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep that's how it was for me on my 2014. Ordered nov 1 and did not get tracking number until February 15 or so, car was built an ready mar 18
So then what they say sounds right huh - So basically about 3/4 the wait is for GM to approve the order and then you'll get that coveted tracking number?

I was reading on the forums that I should inquire with the dealer as to which number I am on their allocation list - is this true I should do this? I ordered it through the largest dealer in TX whom said they have Z51 allocation.

Thanks!
-Greg

·
Administrator
16,497 Posts
So then what they say sounds right huh - So basically about 3/4 the wait is for GM to approve the order and then you'll get that coveted tracking number?

I was reading on the forums that I should inquire with the dealer as to which number I am on their allocation list - is this true I should do this? I ordered it through the largest dealer in TX whom said they have Z51 allocation.

Thanks!
-Greg
Yes Greg that would be advisable. In essence, once the dealer gets an allocation, the dealer decides who from their customers they will give it to. It helps to ensure the General Sales Manager, in addition to your sales person, is batting for you. Once they give you the allocation then it is out of their hands. :cool:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would absolutely want to know where you are on the wait list. How many allocations by GM (their approval) to accept the order are in front of you at the dealer and how many allocations they received this past model year and thus how many are expected each month going forward. That should give you a pretty good idea of the wait time until your order goes to status 2000 which means it is accepted by GM. There are a whole lot of important status points beyond that. Inform yourself using the threads on the allocation process and the meanings of those status numbers. Some dealers take the deposit and sit and sit with no allocation from GM, don't let your dealer do that to you. There are other dealers willing to take your order that can expedite it and if need be have the car ordered into a local dealer for a small fee.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I would absolutely want to know where you are on the wait list. How many allocations by GM (their approval) to accept the order are in front of you at the dealer and how many allocations they received this past model year and thus how many are expected each month going forward. That should give you a pretty good idea of the wait time until your order goes to status 1100 which means it is accepted by GM. There are a whole lot of important status points beyond that. Inform yourself using the threads on the allocation process and the meanings of those status numbers. Some dealers take the deposit and sit and sit with no allocation from GM, don't let your dealer do that to you. There are other dealers willing to take your order that can expedite it and if need be have the car ordered into a local dealer for a small fee.
correction - accepted by chev is code 2000....you'll get to know these by heart soon...LOL - as I have said before, anything less than 2000 is like you outside the stadium looking for a scalper, 2000 and above is you got a ticket, and you've got a seat to watch the game...

·
Registered
873 Posts

Thanks!
-Greg
Actually, dealers can place orders in the system for 2015s at this time. Once the dealer does this, you get an order number and are at status 1100. You should ask your dealer to enter you into the system. Your order will sit at status 1100 until GM gives your dealer an allocation that matches your order (coupe or convertible, Z51 or not, any other option that may be constrained.). Right now, the word around the internet, on several vette forums, is the first consensus (where dealers start getting allocations to match to orders,) is going to be early July. That would be the earliest your order would advance past 1100 and go to 2000 "Order accepted by GM."

·
Registered
10,545 Posts

Thanks!
-Greg
Greg, you should be able to get the order number immediately. Although some may not have gotten theirs, it does not mean that it is impossible. In fact, most people do receive their order numbers immediately.

However, once you get your order number, there will be a wait until GM accepts that order (that is, the order is matched with an available allocation at your dealership). That can be a very short time, or it may be so long that it never happens. Read the stickied posts here on the forum which cover this topic.

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
Actually, dealers can place orders in the system for 2015s at this time. Once the dealer does this, you get an order number and are at status 1100. You should ask your dealer to enter you into the system. Your order will sit at status 1100 until GM gives your dealer an allocation that matches your order (coupe or convertible, Z51 or not, any other option that may be constrained.). Right now, the word around the internet, on several vette forums, is the first consensus (where dealers start getting allocations to match to orders,) is going to be early July. That would be the earliest your order would advance past 1100 and go to 2000 "Order accepted by GM."
Bingo. The only thing is Greg's order might go to 2000 in early July, but it might not, depending on his place in line at his dealership, and how many allocations they get, and how regularly those allocations are released to them.

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
Okay, wait. I just noticed something that sent a HUGE red flag for me. Your dealer told you 3/4 of the wait time will be waiting on "GM to approve the order"? My new friend, that sounds VERY bad to me. On average, "order acceptance" to delivery is 8-12 weeks. Now, if 3/4 of the wait is waiting for acceptance, 1/4 would be the actual real wait time of, let's be optimistic, 8 weeks. So, if 1/4 is 8 weeks, then the whole wait time will be 32 weeks, where you are in limbo waiting for an allocation for 24 weeks, and then 8 weeks for the normal wait time.

If I understood your statement correctly, you seriously need to have a heart-to-heart with your dealer.

There was a list published here some months ago of how many deliveries the top dealerships were doing in a certain quarter. Look for that and see where your dealer ranks. If they are not moving a lot of StingRays, you may be in for a long, long wait.

Reactions: C7DriverOnt
1 - 18 of 18 Posts