Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I just purchased a 2014 stingray today. The dealership did a pretty bad job detailing it. You could see the overpsray of whatever they used all over the vehicle, rims, tires, etc. Not a big deal but while driving it around, I noticed a burning smell from the rear wheel on the drivers side. I have driven it about 15 miles now and can still smell it. Would excess cleaning products on the rotors cause it to smell like burning and last that many miles? The rotors also had bad rust on them when I saw it delivered, as it had been on the back of the transfer truck and driven through a bunch of rain. I was also wondering if the dealership could have put new pads on it as they have a little bit of squeal towards the end of stopping the car, if I brake slowly. It will not squeal if I push the brakes hard. I do not notice anything unusual blue marks on the rotor or anything. It just smells like it is very hot but it is not excessive as I can touch the rotors after driving. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,225 Posts
Without physically inspecting first hand, it is very hard to diagnose these issues via the written word.
Might I suggest a commercial Corvette shop in your area to give the car a good going over, or take it to another dealer and have it inspected. Sorry, I'm not much help here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Without physically inspecting first hand, it is very hard to diagnose these issues via the written word.
Might I suggest a commercial Corvette shop in your area to give the car a good going over, or take it to another dealer and have it inspected. Sorry, I'm not much help here.
Not a problem. I have reached out to one but won't be able to find anything out over the weekend. Hoping someone else had experienced the same thing. Thanks for the reply though!

·
Registered
318 Posts
IMHO The rotors do build a lot of brush rust just sitting not being driven. To the point above, it is hard to say what "a lot" is without pictures. Even mine after washing and setting up a while gets a build up. I have seen some heavy buildup on vets sitting on the lot. So, that one I don’t worry about to much. Even the squeal wouldn’t concern me much as mine does that some after a bit of blush rust. I do an action similar to “seating or bedding the pads” to help clean them off. (Before people start educating me on the specific purpose for bedding the pads please see my description to note that I said “an action similar to”.)

As to the question of new pads and such; I would like to know the mileage of the vehicle. I have 22k miles and pads are fine from normal driving. I have never experienced a burning smell on other cars for which I have replaced the pads. The smell is concerning to me. I have used some cleaners which have a smells and some residual smell but they didn’t smell like anything I can think of burning. I wonder if with the kind of sitting time and rust you described if they are stuck or rubbing. A low cost laser heat gun from harbor freight would help you tell if you have a major heat differential from one rotor or other system part than another. Sorry, for your trouble. Hope you find a relief soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMHO The rotors do build a lot of brush rust just sitting not being driven. To the point above, it is hard to say what "a lot" is without pictures. Even mine after washing and setting up a while gets a build up. I have seen some heavy buildup on vets sitting on the lot. So, that one I don’t worry about to much. Even the squeal wouldn’t concern me much as mine does that some after a bit of blush rust. I do an action similar to “seating or bedding the pads” to help clean them off. (Before people start educating me on the specific purpose for bedding the pads please see my description to note that I said “an action similar to”.)

As to the question of new pads and such; I would like to know the mileage of the vehicle. I have 22k miles and pads are fine from normal driving. I have never experienced a burning smell on other cars for which I have replaced the pads. The smell is concerning to me. I have used some cleaners which have a smells and some residual smell but they didn’t smell like anything I can think of burning. I wonder if with the kind of sitting time and rust you described if they are stuck or rubbing. A low cost laser heat gun from harbor freight would help you tell if you have a major heat differential from one rotor or other system part than another. Sorry, for your trouble. Hope you find a relief soon.
Gotcha. Thanks for the reply. I have wondered about the calipers sticking. I will look into the laser heat gun as others have mentioned it as well. Thanks again.

·
Administrator
15,906 Posts
Welcome to our forum BLUEPSTU and congrats on your C7 purchase. As already noted, the rotors will easily show surface rust after washing if not driven briefly. Is yours a Z51 or non Z51 package?

I just came across the picture you posted of your C7. Very nice! However, while it is hard to tell from the image, it appears that the car has slotted front rotors and not slotted rear rotors. Also, the yellow pad units do not look OEM.

Can you provide a bit further description of the type of burning smell you had?

·
Registered
36 Posts

Welcome to our forum BLUEPSTU and congrats on your C7 purchase. As already noted, the rotors will easily show surface rust after washing if not driven briefly. Is yours a Z51 or non Z51 package?

I just came across the picture you posted of your C7. Very nice! However, while it is hard to tell from the image, it appears that the car has slotted front rotors and not slotted rear rotors. Also, the yellow pad units do not look OEM.

Looks like a non Z-51 based on the rear spoiler.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks for the reply. The rear rotors are not slotted but the front are. Also, the yellow calipers are not oem. I believe the previous owner could have painted them. The burning smell does smell like when you have put on a new set of pad but they overheated while "breaking them in." Don't know if that makes sense.
Looks like a non Z-51 based on the rear spoiler.
You are correct

·
Registered
394 Posts
My rotors always rust and make noise (squeal) after washing the car, very similar to what you are describing. And, I usually take the car out for a joy ride (usually 20-50 miles) after washing, so that rust and noise is always gone after my ride. So as said above, those two things don't worry me. As for the smell, that is too hard to assess based on your description. I wonder if they are new pads, and the smell is also associated with them, and may go away after a few more miles?

Reactions: Racer_X

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My rotors always rust and make noise (squeal) after washing the car, very similar to what you are describing. And, I usually take the car out for a joy ride (usually 20-50 miles) after washing, so that rust and noise is always gone after my ride. So as said above, those two things don't worry me. As for the smell, that is too hard to assess based on your description. I wonder if they are new pads, and the smell is also associated with them, and may go away after a few more miles?
Thanks for the reply. I had only driven it a total of 15 miles so that makes me feel better knowing that you drive it more after the wash. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
632 Posts
I had a serious rust problem on my rotors after switching my pads to powerstops whereas others had similar issue switching pads but also others did not had any problems.

That said, as recommended by Forum Member, I used this product below every time I washed my car over the last year and it helped clean my rotors to not perfect but much better acceptable 80-85% level.

Might want to try it and I bought the larger Gallon size container and poured into a spray bottle to spray on the rotors as I knew it would take some time of repeated treatment to work considering how bad mine were.

37D4D31B-1BED-4E46-8AFA-E7A4BC38296E.jpeg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gotcha. Thanks!
I had a serious rust problem on my rotors after switching my pads to powerstops whereas others have but also others have not had any problems.

That said, as recommended by Forum Member, I used this product below every time I washed my car over the last year and it helped clean my rotors to not perfect but much better acceptable 80-85% level .

Might want to try it and I bought the larger Gallon size container and poured into a spray bottle to spray on the rotors as I knew it would take some time of repeated treatment to work considering how bad mine were.

View attachment 277992

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 Grand Sport. Rotors are rusted. And looks bad. Replacing everything with Willwood. On my originals I had replaced the pads with carbotech. Was well worth it. No mor squeaking. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello. I just purchased a 2014 stingray today. The dealership did a pretty bad job detailing it. You could see the overpsray of whatever they used all over the vehicle, rims, tires, etc. Not a big deal but while driving it around, I noticed a burning smell from the rear wheel on the drivers side. I have driven it about 15 miles now and can still smell it. Would excess cleaning products on the rotors cause it to smell like burning and last that many miles? The rotors also had bad rust on them when I saw it delivered, as it had been on the back of the transfer truck and driven through a bunch of rain. I was also wondering if the dealership could have put new pads on it as they have a little bit of squeal towards the end of stopping the car, if I brake slowly. It will not squeal if I push the brakes hard. I do not notice anything unusual blue marks on the rotor or anything. It just smells like it is very hot but it is not excessive as I can touch the rotors after driving. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Thanks for any info.

Bought mine brand new (2016 stingray z51) and had to have rear calipers replaced within 6 months because they were sticking and constantly applying brake. Sounds like it may be a stuck caliper heating up the pads.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a 2011 Grand Sport. Rotors are rusted. And looks bad. Replacing everything with Willwood. On my originals I had replaced the pads with carbotech. Was well worth it. No mor squeaking. Hope this helps.
Thanks! I will look into them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am hoping the situation fixed itself. I took it to a performance shop and they didn't find any problems. I have not noticed the smell the last several times I have driven it. From the beginning, I had wondered if the dealership had gotten cleaning products all over them and just let them sit. I just didn't understand why I was still smelling it after 50 miles or so. The performance shop told me that it had nothing to do with how many miles but how many heat cycles the car would need to go through before "burning" all the residue off. Only time will tell. Thanks for the replies everyone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What? Detailers didn't leave drugs in your car? After I bought my 2015 at Lakeside Chevy in Rockwall Tx. and had it home a few days looked under passenger seat before vacuuming and found a baggie with a little pot in it wrapped in old Starbucks paper towels. Salesman was a real dick about it too for some reason. Must have been his. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What? Detailers didn't leave drugs in your car? After I bought my 2015 at Lakeside Chevy in Rockwall Tx. and had it home a few days looked under passenger seat before vacuuming and found a baggie with a little pot in it wrapped in old Starbucks paper towels. Salesman was a real dick about it too for some reason. Must have been his. ;)
Ha. Crazy stuff. You win!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts