Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by my dealer that the C7 would give me a dash display when the battery in the key fob was getting low. Well, no such warning and I got caught. When I went out to run an errand the fob battery was dead. I used the handy key to open the back hatch and of course the security system went nuts -- wouldn't shut up until I started the car -- by inserting the fob into the little slot under the column. Just a heads up that if your fob battery is getting older, go ahead and change it before you get caught cold. By the way, changing the battery is another butt whipping'…you just gotta love technology.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
The manual indicates there is a Replace Battery in Remote Key message (I haven't seen it personally), but as you discovered if your battery has a quick and merciful death you may never get to see that DIC message.

As our C7s get older, many folks will be experiencing just what you did, so proactively changing the battery makes good sense.

Text Font Diagram Paper Technology Electronic device Font Electronics accessory Games

FYI - Energizer appears to be one of the better of the major brands, with a 240 mAh nominal rating for their CR2032. CR2032 Datasheet and Information Site | CR2032.co

·
Registered
847 Posts
I'm going to put a dead battery in my RKE and see how the car behave. I expect the message to pop on the DIC. I wonder if I'll get the ding, ding, ding sound to? I'll report back. I don't think it will factory default any settings in the car. But we'll find out.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Good insurance to buy a couple of these and keep in the car.

Reactions: Mobius

·
Registered
186 Posts
when you are at the dealer they have a tool in the parts dept that can test the battery.i had a problem with my c6 and they told me the battery was good but i needed to replace the FOB's .i did that and it worked but was more costly than a battery.don't know if the FOBS wear out like the c6 with our c7s

·
Registered
847 Posts
I'm going to put a dead battery in my RKE and see how the car behave. I expect the message to pop on the DIC. I wonder if I'll get the ding, ding, ding sound to? I'll report back. I don't think it will factory default any settings in the car. But we'll find out.
OK. I put the dead battery in the RKE. Evidently it wasn't completely dead because when I got in the car it gave me the RKE low battery warning and to replace. No ding, ding, ding though. But it pays to look at your DIC every time you start the car, which I do anyway. When I start the car I always view the DIC and watch for warnings and wait until the gauges settle down before placing in gear and driving.

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,436 Posts
I was told by my dealer that the C7 would give me a dash display when the battery in the key fob was getting low. Well, no such warning and I got caught. When I went out to run an errand the fob battery was dead. I used the handy key to open the back hatch and of course the security system went nuts -- wouldn't shut up until I started the car -- by inserting the fob into the little slot under the column. Just a heads up that if your fob battery is getting older, go ahead and change it before you get caught cold. By the way, changing the battery is another butt whipping'…you just gotta love technology.
Interesting experience the other day with my FOB. I replaced my number 1 FOB battery (just the one I use as there are no numbers) about a year ago. More for a precaution as it was starting to need to be closer to the car to have the hatch open when pressing the button. Recently found I had to attempt to open the door several times before it worked. Last week was leaving for an appointment. Door would not open, pushing any FOB button did nothing. Grabbed my other 3 year old FOB, never really used, and it opened and car started fine.

Came home and opened both FOBs. Checked the batteries (I use an old Radio Shack battery tester that loads the battery, depending on size, to get an accurate reading) and both were fine and read equally well into the green, good, area.

Cleaned the battery connections and reassembled. Both work fine now. Another sign (and justification) that it is time to replace the car with a GS! :unconscious:

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Interesting experience the other day with my FOB. I replaced my number 1 FOB battery (just the one I use as there are no numbers) about a year ago. More for a precaution as it was starting to need to be closer to the car to have the hatch open when pressing the button. Recently found I had to attempt to open the door several times before it worked. Last week was leaving for an appointment. Door would not open, pushing any FOB button did nothing. Grabbed my other 3 year old FOB, never really used, and it opened and car started fine.

Came home and opened both FOBs. Checked the batteries (I use an old Radio Shack battery tester that loads the battery, depending on size, to get an accurate reading) and both were fine and read equally well into the green, good, area.

Cleaned the battery connections and reassembled. Both work fine now. Another sign (and justification) that it is time to replace the car with a GS! :unconscious:
Jerry, that is an outstanding reason to advance to a C7 Masterpiece Grand Sport, I'm having problems with my FOB. I'll have to try that one on Renee! :wink:

SF
Rick

Reactions: rdslon01 and Mobius

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had a similar incident a few weeks ago. While fueling, I kept the fob in my workout bag and closed the door. I didn't notice that the usual three warning beeps didn't happen, and when I tried to get back into the car I was locked out. Fortunately, I keep the key of Fob #2 hidden outside the car, so I entered via the hatch and pulled the lanyard to open the door, as did the OP. Thinking my cell phone, which was also in the bag, was interfering with the fob I placed the fob on the console and finished my fueling process. I found myself locked out again, but kept the spare key in my pocket.

I tried it again with the fob outside the car and it worked fine, then back at home I checked the voltage, which was 3.05V. I replaced the battery anyway but won't trust the fob inside the car again. My build date was 12/18/14, so the battery is short of 2YO. I expected it to last longer.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Good info, iclick - thanks.

I like your trick with the spare fob key - I may do the same.

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,436 Posts
Jerry, that is an outstanding reason to advance to a C7 Masterpiece Grand Sport, I'm having problems with my FOB. I'll have to try that one on Renee! :wink:

SF
Rick
Yep, and my ashtray is almost full! :peaceful:Joking stopped smoking cigarettes in 1982 and a pipe in 1987!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I like your trick with the spare fob key - I may do the same.
I learned the value of that idea with my C6, which had all kinds of blind spots inside the car. It didn't have the OnStar app to remotely lock and unlock, but that works only when the phone is not locked in the car with the fob :tickled_pink:. When I first bought the C7 I did some tests and found no blind spots, so I've been under the assumption that I was safe. That said, Murphy is always watching and waiting, so I still keep the spare key outside the car in a magnetic key holder just in case.

Be advised that unlike the C6 which had more ferrous metal under the car, the C7 is practically devoid of it. I bought a stick-on soft pouch like this one that attaches with Velcro. With it you can install almost anywhere except on hot surfaces. I put the key in a small Ziplok bag to keep it dry.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I keep my key on a lanyard cord, and hang it from a coat hook in the "mud room" on the way to the garage. I wear it around my neck while with the car. Makes losing it, or leaving it in the car while I am outside the car, almost foolproof.

Reactions: V#2

·
Registered
419 Posts
I learned the value of that idea with my C6, which had all kinds of blind spots inside the car. It didn't have the OnStar app to remotely lock and unlock, but that works only when the phone is not locked in the car with the fob :tickled_pink:. When I first bought the C7 I did some tests and found no blind spots, so I've been under the assumption that I was safe. That said, Murphy is always watching and waiting, so I still keep the spare key outside the car in a magnetic key holder just in case.

Be advised that unlike the C6 which had more ferrous metal under the car, the C7 is practically devoid of it. I bought a stick-on soft pouch like this one that attaches with Velcro. With it you can install almost anywhere except on hot surfaces. I put the key in a small Ziplok bag to keep it dry.
Where do you keep the extra fob outside the car? Also, what is your city and street address?
:tyrannosaurus:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Where do you keep the extra fob outside the car? Also, what is your city and street address?
:tyrannosaurus:
Actually, I thought about that before offering that advice, but although I wouldn't talk publicly about its location I'm not too worried about the security implications. I don't keep the second fob outside the car, just the key. The first fob would never be inside the car when I'm outside except while fueling, so if a thief located the key when I was not around he could get in but not be able to start the car. If he was to get in with the key the alarm would sound and he wouldn't be able to shut it off, which creates an unfavorable crime environment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Funny thing. My fob wasn’t working started car with phone. Drove it parked for 2 hours. Had to use my phone again

·
Administrator
16,832 Posts
Funny thing. My fob wasn’t working started car with phone. Drove it parked for 2 hours. Had to use my phone again
Suggest you replace the FOB battery.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I own a lot of devices that use the 2032 battery, as I suspect we all do. I buy them in bulk on Amazon to keep on hand. For example, you cam buy a pack of 20 Energizer batteries for about $8.00

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Just a tip: When replacing the battery - per the instructions in manual - be careful not to lose the little tab that is used to release the removable metal key. It can be very difficult to find. Voice of experience.

Also, I now carry spare batteries in the car.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts