Stingray Corvette Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Got this from another contributor on this site and thought it was a pretty good idea. Place the FOB in a plastic bag while working on it so any parts trying to escape are confined to a easier search area....
After 3 years and 7 months my FOB battery starting dying today. I too, thought the plastic bag tip was a great idea. But did I use one? ... Nah, I won't lose any parts. Well somewhere in the dining room carpet is that little spring :stupid:

I decided not to replace the tab and since I always use a FOB cover it's not a big deal.

Pink Keychain Red Material property Fashion accessory

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
After 3 years and 7 months my FOB battery starting dying today. I too, thought the plastic bag tip was a great idea. But did I use one? ... Nah, I won't lose any parts. Well somewhere in the dining room carpet is that little spring :stupid:

I decided not to replace the tab and since I always use a FOB cover it's not a big deal.

View attachment 266200
I use a key fob cover also, after reading in a number of posts of broken key fobs when dropped. So I got one for each key and haven't had a problem yet, although I haven't changed my battery yet. And I even got a cover in the same color as my car! --Bob

Red Technology Electronic device Electronics Material property

·
Registered
7,930 Posts

View attachment 266200
Paul, I use the same FOB cover on both of ours, they say for protection "wrap it up"! :wink:

SF
Rick

Reactions: Henry427

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
LOL. As anal as I am about the car and associated items I completely drop the ball on the smoke and house hold battery using products. Like you it always seems to be in the middle of the night when it goes off and i am forced to get the ladder out of the garage and rip the unit off the ceiling and take it apart to make it stop...
Hey Snow-ray, make sure you are changing the batteries in your smoke detectors the first day of Spring and the first day of Fall.

October is fire prevention month, so just sending out that tip.

·
Registered
2014 Corvette Stingray
18 Posts
I was told by my dealer that the C7 would give me a dash display when the battery in the key fob was getting low. Well, no such warning and I got caught. When I went out to run an errand the fob battery was dead. I used the handy key to open the back hatch and of course the security system went nuts -- wouldn't shut up until I started the car -- by inserting the fob into the little slot under the column. Just a heads up that if your fob battery is getting older, go ahead and change it before you get caught cold. By the way, changing the battery is another butt whipping'…you just gotta love technology.
Hi Airdale 182:

No such warning on the dash display. Check the Forum instead of listening to dealers. We won't steer you wrong.

With that said, I noticed over the past few weeks that my doors would not automatically unlock as I approached the car. I had to press the unlock button on the key fog to unlock the doors. This is a hint that the battery is getting weak. Do NOT wait until the battery is completely dead.

The fix is easy. I stopped at the drug store, picked up a Duracell CR2023, watched a quick video on youtube, popped it in, and everything is fine. I also keep an extra CR2032 battery behind the "James Bond" screen... just in case. An once of preventing, right?

I've also ordered a second key fob, with a new key and programming. Just in case I lay my fob on the ground as I clean the car, forget about it, and run over it. Again, an once of prevention that costs $450 at my local dealer. But my wife and I like to take weekend trips and if I ever damage the fob, lose my keys, or the key fob gremlins attack, I will be prepared and not stranded.

Now... where is a good place to hide the second key? Any one have some thoughts on the subject?

Thanks, Gene

·
Administrator
16,831 Posts
Hi Airdale 182:

No such warning on the dash display. Check the Forum instead of listening to dealers. We won't steer you wrong.

With that said, I noticed over the past few weeks that my doors would not automatically unlock as I approached the car. I had to press the unlock button on the key fog to unlock the doors. This is a hint that the battery is getting weak. Do NOT wait until the battery is completely dead.

The fix is easy. I stopped at the drug store, picked up a Duracell CR2023, watched a quick video on youtube, popped it in, and everything is fine. I also keep an extra CR2032 battery behind the "James Bond" screen... just in case. An once of preventing, right?

I've also ordered a second key fob, with a new key and programming. Just in case I lay my fob on the ground as I clean the car, forget about it, and run over it. Again, an once of prevention that costs $450 at my local dealer. But my wife and I like to take weekend trips and if I ever damage the fob, lose my keys, or the key fob gremlins attack, I will be prepared and not stranded.

Now... where is a good place to hide the second key? Any one have some thoughts on the subject?

Thanks, Gene
If you are intending on keeping the second FOB in the C7, suggest you remove the battery and store both together in the cubby or dash. Separating the battery prevents any drain and or interference with the main FOB. Others have used things like an Altoid box.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Airdale 182:

Thanks, Gene
I bought my wife an antique Ice Box and the all metal insulation is a great place to keep the key and the wife happy of course.

·
Registered
2014 Corvette Stingray
18 Posts
If you are intending on keeping the second FOB in the C7, suggest you remove the battery and store both together in the cubby or dash. Separating the battery prevents any drain and or interference with the main FOB. Others have used things like an Altoid box.
Perfect solution. Thanks for your advise.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Perfect timing. Between posts on this thread my wife's 2014 BMW 328 gave a dash display warning that her key fob battery was getting low. So I went out and got some new batteries for both of them. Surprised some say the C7 doesn't offer such a warning. I reviewed my 2016 owner's manual and here is what I found. Is it possible this was changed in later models? --Bob

Key and Lock Messages (on page 127)

# KEYS PROGRAMMED

This message displays when programming new keys to the vehicle.

NO REMOTE DETECTED

This message displays when the transmitter battery may be weak. See “Starting the Vehicle with a Low Transmitter Battery” under Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) System Operation p. 27.

NO REMOTE KEY WAS DETECTED PLACE KEY IN TRANSMITTER POCKET THEN START YOUR VEHICLE

This message displays when trying to start the vehicle if an RKE transmitter is not detected. The transmitter battery may be weak. See “Starting the Vehicle with a Low Transmitter Battery” under Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) System Operation p. 27.

NO REMOTE PRESS BRAKE TO RESTART

This message displays if the RKE transmitter is no longer detected in the vehicle. Press the brake pedal to restart the vehicle.

REMOTE LEFT IN VEHICLE

This message displays when leaving the vehicle with the RKE transmitter still inside.

REPLACE BATTERY IN REMOTE KEY

This message displays when the battery in the RKE transmitter needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
2014 Corvette Stingray
18 Posts
Interesting. I haven't looked at my 2014 owner's manual. However, from personal experience, I didn't receive a warning of any kind. These are things that things that make people go, "Hmm..." I will have to see what the 2014 manual says.Thanks!

·
Administrator
16,831 Posts
I have only seen the NO REMOTE DETECTED message, never REPLACE BATTERY IN REMOTE KEY in over 7 years with RedHot. 2032 batteries are inexpensive enough so replacing them at first indication of any issue is a good policy.

Reactions: Racer_X

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I have to say that I have never seen the warning for REPLACE BATTERY IN REMOTE KEY either, but I replaced my key fob batteries at about the three year mark, just to be proactive. My wife is not so proactive and in fact rarely, if ever, notices warnings on her BMW's dash display for problems, service due, etc. I usually have to remind myself to drive her car every few months just to check what the car needs. And I really didn't know this warning was supposed to exist in the C7 until after reading this thread and then checking my owner's manual.--Bob

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just a tip: When replacing the battery - per the instructions in manual - be careful not to lose the little tab that is used to release the removable metal key. It can be very difficult to find. Voice of experience.

Also, I now carry spare batteries in the car.
2019 1LT. My system indicated ignition doesn't recognize fob and to insert into steering column. Scared me, took fob out of my pocket and put in drink holder and car started OK. Once home I then followed manual for changing battery for practice in future. Little key latch and tiny spring popped out. Had a difficult time reassembly since didn't see disassembly. Do this on flat surface (kitchen table) on a terry towel to keep parts from rolling away or bouncing onto floor. I now carry a spare battery 2 pack in glovebox for insurance. Instructions say not to use anything metal to remove battery. My fingernails aren long enough to remove it from holder. I whittled down a popsickle stick to remove battery. Worked OK. Keep it with the spares.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I will put spare batteries in my car. Thanks for the great idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

41 - 55 of 55 Posts