Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks back we had cold weather hit here in DFW area and when we got back into town, our 2017 GS wouldn't start... well actually, neither key fob would unlock the car. Once we got into the car, it started no problem. We have now tested this many times but both key fobs first thing in the morning do not register with the car when walking up to it for the first time. We have to hit panic then lock or unlock to get the car to acknowledge the fob.

3 questions:
1. Does this indicate the battery in the fob is bad or going bad?
2. Is there something else going on as the car starts just fine once it registers so its not a battery issue
3. Are key fobs covered under the GM bumper to bumper extended warrant?

Thanks in advance everyone.

·
Administrator
15,882 Posts
Bryan, it possibly could be an indication that you GS battery is weak (my first bet), possibly that both FOBs batteries are going (though doubtful). Since you say you had a cold snap and presumably did not have your C7 on a maintainer, I suggest you check out the condition of your GS battery.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff, we took the battery in and GM said it had no issues with the battery. Sorry, forgot that part!!

·
Administrator
15,882 Posts
Interesting Bryan, I'm still betting on the main battery. Cold zaps the energy in the battery, and when it starts to get low, the FOBs act up (along with other things). But it wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
The first thing I would have tried was to change the battery in one of the key fobs. It isn't a big surprise for both of them to go at about the same time. This has been discussed before here on the forum. Apparently the discharge rate for a key fob battery is relatively independent of the amount of use it sees, but is mostly dependent on the initial energy in the battery when new, and the length of time that battery has been in service in the key fob.

One other thing to note is that it is no surprise at all if your car does not recognize a key fob in close proximity to the car if the car has not seen the fob in 10 days or more (deep sleep?). However, the car should recognize it after you push a button on the key fob. Then, after that, everything should go back to normal.

Reactions: jsvette and Mack

·
Registered
997 Posts
I'd start with the batteries of the FOB. If that doesn't solve it I'd move to the car battery but you mentioned that it has been checked and is okay. Much has been said on other POSTS regarding gremlins associated with low battery levels both in the car and with the FOBs.
I replace key fob batteries in all my vehicles every December. Just such a simple project and well worth the time and few bucks not to have an issue when you least expect it. Yes it's probable over kill but as i said well worth the few minutes and couple of bucks instead of having a gremlin pop up when you least want it to..

Reactions: Fireeagle

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I like snow-ray's way of thinking but I too have seen those gremlins creep up indicating it's time to change the batteries in the fob. Visits by gremlins don't scare me but I make sure I get rid of them the same day if possible. Change your fob batteries.

Reactions: Ateupjoe

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All, yes it was the batteries! New batteries put in.... everything works as it should. Thanks everyone really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Glad to hear. By the way may not be an issue for you but don't store FOBS anywhere near the vehicle. If you do they will be communicating with each other constantly wearing down your battery. Not to mention you don't want them talking behind your back and planning a take over next time your behind the wheel ..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Both of my fob batteries went very close to the same time, even though one of the fobs had hardly been used. They seem to last about 3 years. And those batteries are cheap compared to other fixes. Try that first.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Cold snap in DFW got me also... wife's GS, she was out of town, no response from fob on any button.

!. Did not want 'it' to be my fault
2. Was parked right in front of the big windows at the gym in 'her' super car white GS [anyone got jumper cables?]

·
Registered
997 Posts
Cold snap in DFW got me also... wife's GS, she was out of town, no response from fob on any button.

!. Did not want 'it' to be my fault
2. Was parked right in front of the big windows at the gym in 'her' super car white GS [anyone got jumper cables?]
Driving the wife's Corvette to the gym while she's out of town . Stuck in front of "the big window" in front....
Sure stick with that story. Good as any i suspect. .
Also why i keep a spare fob battery in all my vehicles and a set of jumper cables in my DD.
And carry one of those battery jumper packs if I'm traveling in a car or on a motorcycle.

Am i OCD about stuff? Perhaps.
Boy Scout motto, always be prepared.
My friends think I'm crazy but everytime someone breaks down on the road who do you think they turn to?? Yep, and usually i have the spare whatever they need to fix the problem.

Reactions: Racer_X

·
Registered
55 Posts
Driving the wife's Corvette to the gym while she's out of town . Stuck in front of "the big window" in front....
Sure stick with that story. Good as any i suspect. .
Also why i keep a spare fob battery in all my vehicles and a set of jumper cables in my DD.
And carry one of those battery jumper packs if I'm traveling in a car or on a motorcycle.

Am i OCD about stuff? Perhaps.
Boy Scout motto, always be prepared.
My friends think I'm crazy but everytime someone breaks down on the road who do you think they turn to?? Yep, and usually i have the spare whatever they need to fix the problem.

LOL you should see our gym class. Several walkers, lots of spouse caregivers, a few arms hanging and most of us limping. We are the Punching Out Parkinson's boxing group and we have a blast. An hour from now, I will have my four minutes round in the ring with a two-time world champion [Paulie Ayala].

We park three-deep in the handicapped slots... I could go on and on))

·
Registered
947 Posts
LOL you should see our gym class. Several walkers, lots of spouse caregivers, a few arms hanging and most of us limping. We are the Punching Out Parkinson's boxing group and we have a blast. An hour from now, I will have my four minutes round in the ring with a two-time world champion [Paulie Ayala].

Ha Ha Just had a hip replacement last week. I'll be in your class with you shortly! -- Bob

·
Registered
997 Posts

Im with ya brother.. just busting your chops . Some folks can miss my attempts at humor..
No offense meant...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts