Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone having a problem with their key fobs?
This just started today, and happens with both keyfobs:
Enter car OK, then it won't start. Display says "no keyfob recognized". I then took the fob out of my pocket pressed the lock & unlock several times and then started her up. Went to shut off and it wouldn't let me.... got same "No keyfob" message!

Tried this with the #2 fob and same results!:confused:
Getting frustrated and worried too.:(

Any help???

Thanks,
Mark D.

Reactions: cvette100

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
What did the service dept. at the dealer tell you when you called them to ask about it?

Reactions: 53Vette

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What did the service dept. at the dealer tell you when you called them to ask about it?
Service Dept??? Steve.... come on.... why would I call them when I have the Forums?
I trust the info here a lot more than some service rep on the telephone who services 50 pick-up trucks, sonics and cruzes to every one Corvette!
Service Dept. is my LAST resort!:mad:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
124 Posts
Various things can cause RF interference. Phones, tablets, etc... Make sure you don't have one real close to your FOB. After that its a small series of things to try, so you can diagnose it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Copy and pasted from another source. Format won't copy correctly. This is for a C6 but should translate over for the most part.

Fob Not Detected checklist.

There are usually 4 reasons to get this message. 1. Bad FOB Battery 2. Bad FOB 3. Bad or weak car battery or battery connection 4. Bad RCDLR This Step/Action table will guide you through testing to eliminate each of these possible problems to get your FOB and car communicating.
Step Action Result/Conclusion Next 1 Gain access to car. (Use Key) Insert undetected FOB into the slot in the Glove box.
Note: FOB buttons should face passenger door.

IF Then Car Starts Replace FOB battery Stop If car does not start Go to 2 2 Use FOB #2 (spare) Note: If FOB #2 not available, you may skip to step 3 but step 2 checks for the possible bad undetected FOB. If you don’t have a spare FOB, GET ONE! IF Then FOB #2 Detected Undetected FOB is bad Replace FOB Stop FOB #2 not Detected Go to 3 3 Disconnect any chargers or plugs that are inserted in the cigarette lighter plug or optional power plugs.
Disconnect, remove or turn off any battery operated device(s) (e.g. cell phones)

IF Then FOB 1 or 2 now Detected? Signal interference is issue
Take steps to keep signal interference off while starting/stopping car.
Stop
Still no FOBs are Detected? Go to 4 4 Check Car Battery Voltage and terminal connections IF Then <12.2 Charge Car battery or correct bad terminal connections Go to 5 >12.3 Bad RCDLR OR undetected FOB is bad. You must do Step 2 to conclude which. See Dealer Go to 2 5 FOB 1 or 2 now Detected? Voltage from car battery was the issue Stop Still no FOBs are Detected? Bad RCDLR OR undetected FOB is bad. You must do Step 2 to conclude which. See Dealer Go to 2
Eboggs_jkvl 8-19-2012

·
18,670 Posts
Various things can cause RF interference. Phones, tablets, etc... Make sure you don't have one real close to your FOB. After that its a small series of things to try, so you can diagnose it.
Learned that the hard way, that even two fobs close together can mess things up. Now, when we travel long distances, as we always want two fobs with us on such trips, we have my wife's wrapped up in one continuous piece of aluminum foil, four layers thick, in her purse, and no longer have fob to fob interference. Learned this from one of the best Corvette technicians, who has solved hundreds C5 & C6 problems for many since the C5's came out.

·
Registered
10,600 Posts
The only fob problem that my wife and I have had on her car is one time I was sitting in the driver's seat with my fob in my pocket, and she opened the passenger's door while carrying her fob in her purse. The driver's seat started moving to her position. That was SO strange! It has never happened again, however, even though the same circumstances have occurred many times since.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone....
I did eventually call the dealer. They never heard of the problem, and set me up an appointment for this week. Today I cancelled it.

I don't know what the gremlin was but it lasted two days, the fobs did work when I approached the driver door, but not if I tried them from just 5 feet away on the right side. I tried what Glen suggested, drove around with the fob in the column for a while on Saturday and then ALL WAS WELL!!:confused: Drove the car all day Saturday and yesterday with no problems at all! And as Crawler said, I kept the fob in the pocket opposite my cell phone.

Now I can operate both fobs, all the functions, from way inside the house and even a 50 plus feet across the road!:D

I don't get it but everything is A-OK now... and thank you all for the great responses!

Take care,
Mark D.

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,435 Posts
Thanks everyone....
I did eventually call the dealer. They never heard of the problem, and set me up an appointment for this week. Today I cancelled it.

I don't know what the gremlin was but it lasted two days, the fobs did work when I approached the driver door, but not if I tried them from just 5 feet away on the right side. I tried what Glen suggested, drove around with the fob in the column for a while on Saturday and then ALL WAS WELL!!:confused: Drove the car all day Saturday and yesterday with no problems at all! And as Crawler said, I kept the fob in the pocket opposite my cell phone.

Now I can operate both fobs, all the functions, from way inside the house and even a 50 plus feet across the road!:D

I don't get it but everything is A-OK now... and thank you all for the great responses!

Take care,
Mark D.
For what it's worth. With my C6 when I first got it, had a similar problem. Found if my cell phone was in the same pocket as the FOB about every 3rd time I got a "no FOB" message. The C6 manual specifically mentioned this issue, could not find the comment about cell phones in the C7 manual, but it may be there.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I had the same problem with my wife's car. The key fobs would not work well in the driveway or in the garage. I took it to the dealer and they said there was nothing wrong with it. I drove it to other places and it worked fine but did not work in our driveway or in the garage. I turned modems and Wi-Fi's off. I turned fluorescent lights and everything I can think of TVs etc off that could produce interference. After standing in the driveway looking around and trying to figure it out I saw a temperature sender from the weather Channel that was attached to the side of the garage door. I took the batteries out of the sender and the key fob worked perfectly.

I did he Internet search of associated problems and came of crossed stories that people have driven into an area that had cell tower interference and could not reenter their car after they turned it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

1 - 12 of 12 Posts