Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And the parade of dealer announcements, that 2015 orders can not be accepted by GM until July, is getting louder. We had earlier, repeatedly, heard that the first date that '15 orders could be officially accepted by GM, for those dealers with the highest levels of allocation, was June 26th. Not hearing that any more.

In the last four days, both in formal public posts by top allocation dealers, an e mail I received from a top dealer, and further verified today again by two medium sized dealers calling two of my friends on their 2015 priority lists, telling each that GM will not accept any orders prior to sometime in July, we have learned that the first consensus for the 2015's will thus be not before July 3rd. We are seeing some of our forum members, I think FCCCVP was the first, to have their dealer already enter their '15 order, and those orders becoming 1100 status right away, so dealers can definitely enter 2015 orders now into the GM WorkBench system (generate an order code). However, it looks as if the first date that GM's will accept those 1100 status orders, also transforming them to status 2000 "accepted orders," is now early July. Personally doubt that it will be any later than July 10th, as GM typically wants one month minimum between status 2000 and the start of first, August 11th start of production. Betting it will be July 3rd.

Reminder: Whether your dealer enters your 2015 order into the WorkBench program today, or, the very first date of the first consensus will not prioritize, nor hinder your order from being picked up in that consensus, for once again, it will be allocation, allocation, allocation.

And as we only have two more 2014 consensus, this Thursday and June 12th for 2014 orders to be accepted, this puts to rest all the rumors that we repeatedly heard many months ago, that GM was soon going to change its allocations system. Didn't happen. Betting 99.9% that the allocation system is not going to change for 2015 either.

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has, and will. GM will not lose an an opportunity to sell more Corvettes. They have an orderly plan to receive 2015 orders, match them with allocations, schedule specific parts needed, and start 2015's going down the assembly line at 6:12 AM, Monday, August 11th. However, GM always reserves the right to move their schedule forward or backward, though in doing that they will want to first finish all 2014 orders that they have already accepted, as well as those they accept through this Thursday's consensus and its June 12th consensus!

·
Registered
533 Posts
It has, and will. GM will not lose an an opportunity to sell more Corvettes. They have an orderly plan to receive 2015 orders, match them with allocations, schedule specific parts needed, and start 2015's going down the assembly line at 6:12 AM, Monday, August 11th. However, GM always reserves the right to move their schedule forward or backward, though in doing that they will want to first finish all 2014 orders that they have already accepted, as well as those they accept through this Thursday's consensus and its June 12th consensus!
I wish I could tell you this is good news but....No. LOL

I'm not sure why they would want to keep taking orders for 2014 unless they have Parts they need to use up thet will not carry over.. I.E. Nav. without the PDR and 6 Speed Auto. most of the other Items are addons not changes unless I'm missing something.

trying to wish the summer to fly by is strange indeed. :rolleyes:

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
FCCCVP, think you have hit it on the head, that they may have parts, such as the two you mentioned, already purchased and inbound.

However, for every announced part change, there have historically been many part upgrades on the next model year that are never mentioned. Could be that they have another ten, twenty or even more 2014 that will experience minor changes/upgrades for the 2015's -- and again believe your supposition is correct that they contractually own them and want to use them up. Here's a couple more things that were announced as 2015 upgrades that have received close to "no public comment" since you and I and 1,400 others heard about them at the Bash. Perhaps one or both not only has a software upgrade, but perhaps a hardware component, maybe just one little part, that is going to change for the 2015's, e.g. the improved rev matching system, and the additional instrument gauge options.

Another example: Base 2014 model machined wheels will not be available on the 2015's (nicer new ones coming), so perhaps they want to use the '14 base machined wheels up also.

Between 1997 and 1998 model years, GM made 95 changes to the C5, yet that was only learned years later, and to this day, outside of GM, doubt anyone could tell you of more than 20 of those 95 changes. Bet we learn, years from now that there were over 25 parts changes between the 2014's and the 2015's -- perhaps even double that amount (not bad considering that there are 5,000 parts in a Stingray).

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I wish I could tell you this is good news but....No. LOL

I'm not sure why they would want to keep taking orders for 2014 unless they have Parts they need to use up thet will not carry over.. I.E. Nav. without the PDR and 6 Speed Auto. most of the other Items are addons not changes unless I'm missing something.

trying to wish the summer to fly by is strange indeed. :rolleyes:
If you think back to when the August model year changeover was announced, you may come to the same conclusion I did back then: they delayed the model year change until the A8 transmission would be ready, which slipped to August. I would seriously doubt they are trying to use up old parts, because I assume their logistics and operations departments are very well-run, and they did not order more than they would really need. I am totally convinced a well-run manufacturer would do this for no reason other than they could not get all the new features (A8, and maybe other items as well) prepared before the August date.

They are still taking orders for 2014 because the car is in such huge demand that they just can't afford to shut the factory down waiting on August to come.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Left over parts? Wouldn't GM stock any excess parts from the outgoing model year into their inventory of replacement parts? Individual dealers are always ordering parts from GM for repairs and replacement....

·
Registered
533 Posts
Left over parts? Wouldn't GM stock any excess parts from the outgoing model year into their inventory of replacement parts? Individual dealers are always ordering parts from GM for repairs and replacement....
Agree on some of the parts that are still at the supplier production facilities. The issue is in transist parts. cost of shipping etc. Thses need to be used on orders inbound as you suggested.

I would think the A8 would have been ready long before now. So as John has said I would bet we may not know for years to come as to why GM does anything....

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Agree on some of the parts that are still at the supplier production facilities. The issue is in transist parts. cost of shipping etc. Thses need to be used on orders inbound as you suggested.

I would think the A8 would have been ready long before now. So as John has said I would bet we may not know for years to come as to why GM does anything....
If the A8 could have been ready long before now, then Tadge lied earlier this year when he said there was a lot of work remaining to do. I refuse to believe he lied.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Tadge didn't lie, he indicated there was a lot of calibration work needed and since they had just started be had no idea how long it would take. It's a lot worse to say it will be available and recant than to say it won't and surprise us with it later. It's called under promise and over deliver.

As for parts, I suspect 99% of the 2015 are common parts from the 2014 and as mentioned, with modern logistics the old school issues or parts warehousing are largely a thing of the past.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

Reactions: rdslon01
1 - 10 of 10 Posts