Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
They just got the pace car out. Not looking so hot. I have a couple pictures but it isn't letting me post. Will try again later.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,212 Posts
Wow, these are sure coming out faster than anticipated!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
1984 PPG Pace Car Recovery:

Pace car.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,212 Posts
Ouch. That is totaled. It can be done, but it may be like George Washington's axe, and may cost more than it is worth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,905 Posts
Wow, that one is really bad. Even if they rebuilt it, it's not like it is the actual car any longer. It may have a few of the unseen original parts but that would be about it. If 90% of it is new parts does the remaining 10% original make it the "official" pace car? It wouldn't seem so. I would just display it as it is and let the tragedy remain seen for years to come.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Wow, that one is really bad. Even if they rebuilt it, it's not like it is the actual car any longer. It may have a few of the unseen original parts but that would be about it. If 90% of it is new parts does the remaining 10% original make it the "official" pace car? It wouldn't seem so. I would just display it as it is and let the tragedy remain seen for years to come.
My understanding is that they are going to put most if not all of the dome cavern cars on display for a time before doing repairs.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So far today (Friday 7 March) it appears that they are doing some drilling and filling/reinforcing in the floor surrounding the void. I am not seeing any crane activity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,212 Posts
Wow, that one is really bad. Even if they rebuilt it, it's not like it is the actual car any longer. It may have a few of the unseen original parts but that would be about it. If 90% of it is new parts does the remaining 10% original make it the "official" pace car? It wouldn't seem so. I would just display it as it is and let the tragedy remain seen for years to come.
I thought the same. The story of George Washington's axe (as it is called) is that 75 years later the handle was rotting so it had to be replaced. Then 50 years after that, the metal was rusting, so it had to be replaced. It is still called George Washington's axe, but is it still the same axe at that point?

I was also thinking that for that one maybe just leave it as-is as an ongoing display remembering the sink hole. On the other hand, maybe the next one retrieved will look even rougher. They probably would not want to leave more than one unrepaired.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
18,667 Posts
Should all eight sinkhole cars be restored (assuming/hopefully/probably that the last three can be retrieved)? Interesting question posed by Autoweek? You can vote below on this question.

Autoweek said:
We've been closely watching the extraction of the eight Corvettes that fell into a sinkhole at the Bowling Green, Ky., National Corvette Museum, and by all accounts, recovery efforts are moving along quickly. Some cars are in better shape than others, but so far, it looks like General Motors will be able to restore each of them after a few months on display at the museum.

But should GM restore each and every one of the cars? Reader Bill O'Brien has another suggestion: Leave at least one of the cars unrestored so that future enthusiasts will have evidence of what is surely one of the most bizarre disasters to ever happen at an automotive museum.

We're sure the museum will display photos of the incident, and perhaps even video, but there's something about seeing that shattered fiberglass that would make it more real…

O'Brien suggested leaving the orange 1984 PPG Pace Car untouched. The extensive damage it sustained would indeed serve as a compelling reminder of the disaster, but personally, we'd go with the 1993 40th Anniversary Corvette -- from what we can tell, most if not all of its body panels were shattered by its fall, and the model is far more replaceable than the one-off PPG car.

Either way, it's an interesting concept. Weigh in by voting in our poll -- we're not sure it will have any impact on the fate of the eight Vettes, but we're interested in finding out what the enthusiast community thinks of O'Brien's idea.
Vote here:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140310/CARNEWS01/140319991?utm_source=DailyDrive20140310&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=article3&utm_content=20140310-Vote--Should-all-of-the-sinkhole-Corvettes-be-restored?&utm_campaign=awdailydrive
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
In my humble opinion, I would much rather visit the museum and see a vette as it was rather than a crushed one. I think a display of it's journey would be appropriate and a testament to the ability and passion of those that bring them back. As an aviation enthusiast, I have seen many, many airplanes found out on the lakes, tundra's and oceans restored and brought back to life.

Area 473
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Today (Tuesday 11 March) it appears that the focus continues on shoring up the floor/foundation versus going in pulling cars out:

NCM-1.jpg
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
18,667 Posts
Great news: NCRS donating at least $5,000 to National Corvette Museum, and with a matching component, perhaps up to $15,000 toward the Museum's unexpected costs for restoring the floors and the displays.

Thanks to GMAuthority.com, we have learned that NCRS,"donation is intended to help the museum 'defer some of the unexpected expense of the repairs to the floor and displays', according to the NCRS Foundation. The organization has also pledged to match up to an additional $5,000 for any donation from an NCRS Chapter, thereby raising the total possible donation amount to $15,000 — with a total of $10,000 from the foundation itself and (hopefully) $5,000 from Chapter donations."

Read more: NCRS Foundation To Donate $5,000 To Corvette Museum | GM Authority
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,607 Posts
I think they ought to leave at least one car in "sink hole" condition because that is now part of its history from that date going forward.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Sad to say.With the condition of the pace car.Being hit by a slab,partially buried.Then pulled with force before totally being free of dirt and obstruction.Witch i'm sure they had no choice.
May I comment that the condition of remaining cars with tons of dirt and concrete making a CORVETTE BIG MAC Sandwich would give a new name to SURVIVOR condition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,930 Posts
21 - 40 of 74 Posts
Top