Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok lets tackle what appears to be an age old problem with T-tops, Leaking! Has anyone found an effective way to stop the leaks short of sealing them closed with Caulking?

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, current '16 Z06
9,117 Posts
Not to be contrary, I just don't drive mine in the rain, nor do I squirt it down. My '75 is just a toy, used for a show once and a while and a cruise-in ride. Most of my fellow C3 friends just don't mess with trying to repair, replace, or try to keep the leakage down, another words, a PITA.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear ya, but I would like to take mine to the Rod Run in TN in April, will be parked outside for the weekend, and while driving it home from Atlanta to Indiana after buying it, we drove through some rain and it was a soggy experience. We had paper towels crammed in every crevase to stop the flow. I don't plan on having mine out in the weather much either, but just in case.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not to be contrary, I just don't drive mine in the rain, nor do I squirt it down. My '75 is just a toy, used for a show once and a while and a cruise-in ride. Most of my fellow C3 friends just don't mess with trying to repair, replace, or try to keep the leakage down, another words, a PITA.
Who is coming home in January?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Same problem with my C4. Usually it's only in heavy rain, but it usually stays under covers on rainy days.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a C3 with T-Tops, had the same problem. I replaced the rubber seal around both tops, solved my problem.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I had a C3 with T-Tops, had the same problem. I replaced the rubber seal around both tops, solved my problem.
That's good to hear as I'm about to take delivery on a C3. I needed reassurance that if I have a leaky top that I'd be able to rectify it with new seals.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Well, new seals can help, but may not be the entire solution. Part of the problem is there are so many points of adjustment with each of the tops and the side windows, it can be very, very time consuming to get things remotely close. Add to that the fact the C3 chassis is rather flexible - this means that while sitting stationary in the garage you might get good seals, but in motion the body flex will constantly cause small gaps to show up randomly at pretty much any point they possibly can. Finally, not all C3 roof leaks actually originate with poor seals - some are from rusted windshield frames. If rusted along the top of the windshield, water can enter the T-roof frame, and run back to any of several mounting holes in the header and center bar. It is repairable, but will likely require pulling the windshield to do the job correctly - welding and glass usually don't mix well!

Reactions: Norm
1 - 9 of 9 Posts