Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the picture shows my left side rear shock, as you can see there is a wet looking spot on the Shock just below the boot. Running my finger over it left an oily residue on my finger.

Now the question is it the shock? Or is it the joint?

The scrape mark on the shock is also a clear sign that something isn’t quite right and that mark exists on both rear shocks. Ideas? Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
15,156 Posts
The rub (not scrape IMO) mark looks to be caused by repeated contact with the brake line at some point.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rub (not scrape IMO) mark looks to be caused by repeated contact with the brake line at some point.
Yikes the brake line feels very rigid to touch anything but either way not good, I will try to get a view of the brake line on the shock side to see what it looks like.

·
Administrator
15,156 Posts
Yikes the brake line feels very rigid to touch anything but either way not good, I will try to get a view of the brake line on the shock side to see what it looks like.

Sorry, did not mean the brake line moved, but perhaps the shock. Also, I could certainly be wrong.

·
Registered
455 Posts
That rubbing doesn't look good. They should not be touching.

Regarding the shock leaking, mine looked just like that on my 2017 at around 18K miles and replaced no questions asked under warranty.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Visited the shop this morning, they took a look and will be replacing both shocks, apparently it was the brake line on both sides, which does make me wonder what if any damage was done to the brake lines???

Just waiting on GMEPP to approve the work now.

·
Administrator
15,156 Posts
Visited the shop this morning, they took a look and will be replacing both shocks, apparently it was the brake line on both sides, which does make me wonder what if any damage was done to the brake lines???

Just waiting on GMEPP to approve the work now.

thanks for the update. I presume they will or should check the brake lines where the shocks hit/rubbed them when they do the replacements. BUT, I would clarify that with them.

·
Administrator
15,156 Posts
That is unfortunate.

·
Registered
455 Posts
GMEPP is refusing to cover the shocks :( so much for that... :mad:
WTH, the GMEPP quote that I got last week for my 2017 says: "Chevrolet Protection Plan (GMEPP) offers the same coverage as GMPP with this additional benefit: * Coverage for ride control suspension & shocks". I think you are being fed a line of B.S. unless the plan you bought isn't the same as what is being offered currently. When did you buy the GMEPP? Is it silver or platinum?

Maybe they don't care about the rubbing, which probably isn't a big deal but it appears to be leaking. Here is the what mine looked like and there were no questions asked but that is under factor warranty.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WTH, the GMEPP quote that I got last week for my 2017 says: "Chevrolet Protection Plan (GMEPP) offers the same coverage as GMPP with this additional benefit: * Coverage for ride control suspension & shocks". I think you are being fed a line of B.S. unless the plan you bought isn't the same as what is being offered currently. When did you buy the GMEPP? Is it silver or platinum?

Maybe they don't care about the rubbing, which probably isn't a big deal but it appears to be leaking. Here is the what mine looked like and there were no questions asked but that is under factor warranty.
View attachment 276532
I got the platinum plan in May 2018 and it’s valid till June 2022.

As for the leak it’s not serious enough to warrant a replacement according to the GMEPP adjuster.

And because the damage (rubbing) to the shocks is from an outside source they will not cover them.

·
Administrator
15,156 Posts
I got the platinum plan in May 2018 and it’s valid till June 2022.

As for the leak it’s not serious enough to warrant a replacement according to the GMEPP adjuster.

And because the damage (rubbing) to the shocks is from an outside source they will not cover them.

What doesn't make sense to me, is that the rubbing was apparently caused by excessive movement of either the shocks or the axle, which I wouldn't think should occur under normal driving. Why wouldn't that be corrected under the GMEPP?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Doesn't make sense to me. either but I have seen similar reactions from manufactures and the warranty issue. I had one vehicle that everyone agreed had a very unusual noise from the engine. Their response, " (Blank) doesn't repair vehicles that are going to break only vehicles that are broken." " Drive it until it breaks and then bring it back.".
I traded the vehicle in a couple of months later... Although not long after that a person i know and had not seen in some time called me up to tell me he thinks he bought my old vehicle from the dealer. And He had . Haven't heard from him in a while as to if the vehicle gave him any problems.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What doesn't make sense to me, is that the rubbing was apparently caused by excessive movement of either the shocks or the axle, which I wouldn't think should occur under normal driving. Why wouldn't that be corrected under the GMEPP?
Apparently the shop reported the brake line rubbing the shock as being caused by the brake line having been bent out of space because of service and not a factory issue.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
When I read things like this, it makes me so happy that I didn't buy an extended warranty.

·
Registered
886 Posts
When I read things like this, it makes me so happy that I didn't buy an extended warranty.
I think the first time it works the other way you would be very grateful you had it. And it does on occasion work in the consumers benefit. We just tend not to hear about it..
In this day and age with the complexities of our automobiles I wouldn't buy a car without one. I paid a bit over $2000.00 for mine and i can tell you it does not take much for a repair bill on our cars to reach $2,000.00. As a matter of fact I usually sell my cars as soon as the extended warranty is up. I'd rather put the money into a new car with warranty than put big money into a 7 plus year old car for repairs...
Of course i understand if your a half full kind of person and never have issues with your car it can seem like a waste of $$.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I think the first time it works the other way you would be very grateful you had it. And it does on occasion work in the consumers benefit. We just tend not to hear about it..
In this day and age with the complexities of our automobiles I wouldn't buy a car without one. I paid a bit over $2000.00 for mine and i can tell you it does not take much for a repair bill on our cars to reach $2,000.00. As a matter of fact I usually sell my cars as soon as the extended warranty is up. I'd rather put the money into a new car with warranty than put big money into a 7 plus year old car for repairs...
Of course i understand if your a half full kind of person and never have issues with your car it can seem like a waste of $$.
Warranty companies make money. That means they not only take more money in than they pay out, they actually take so much more money in than they pay out that they can use the excess to fund employee salaries, company infrastructure, and everything else that is required to keep a company going, as well as have even more left over for profits. Of course, I am very pro-business, so making money and providing jobs isn't a problem at all. It is to be commended. Good for them!

However, that does not change the fact that their receipts from customers must be far beyond their warranty payouts to stay in business. A direct consequence of that is that probabilities are that most customers will lose money with extended warranties. That, in an of itself, is enough to give pause to someone considering an extended warranty if they are making their decision with math instead of some other factor.

Finally, the really big catch for me is when a warranty company makes customers losing money even more likely when the company finds ways to deny claims. That is when my view of them goes from an impartial probability analysis to a bitter distaste for how they conduct their business.

Therefore, I am absolutely thrilled that I didn't buy an extended warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Brake line rubbing.. Thats not good.. I'm checking mine tomorrow just to be sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a GM extended warranty. May never use it but rather be safe than sorry. Vette repairs can be costly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Warranty companies make money. That means they not only take more money in than they pay out, they actually take so much more money in than they pay out that they can use the excess to fund employee salaries, company infrastructure, and everything else that is required to keep a company going, as well as have even more left over for profits. Of course, I am very pro-business, so making money and providing jobs isn't a problem at all. It is to be commended. Good for them!

However, that does not change the fact that their receipts from customers must be far beyond their warranty payouts to stay in business. A direct consequence of that is that probabilities are that most customers will lose money with extended warranties. That, in an of itself, is enough to give pause to someone considering an extended warranty if they are making their decision with math instead of some other factor.

Finally, the really big catch for me is when a warranty company makes customers losing money even more likely when the company finds ways to deny claims. That is when my view of them goes from an impartial probability analysis to a bitter distaste for how they conduct their business.

Therefore, I am absolutely thrilled that I didn't buy an extended warranty.
I really like the extended warranty slogan...."Never pay for a covered repair again!" The profitability of extended warranties is unbelievable. They make the 60-120% margin on jewelry seem like a bargain.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts