Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be ordering a 3LT Kalihari interior soon. Yep an additional $3000 so I can have a slightly softer leather on the doors, arm rest and dash and more of the color. But hey I think it looks more like a European Ferrari or similar.

The demo has a small ink mark on the seat. Is there a better sealant than the Maguires? Have those with the same interior been having any issues with the light colored leather?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
All modern automotive leather is coated in a polymer, the leather is hence "sealed" from the factory. Nothing you purchase will add any additional sealant properties but the companies who sell the stuff will never tell you that.

It's possible the stain you saw has not leached through and colored the leather. It might be removed by a general purpose cleaner like 303. It it's though the coating and absorbed into the leather it's permanent.

Reactions: glen e

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess that is the beauty of a black interior!

Reactions: Dennis

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I have 3LT Kalahari interior, had some blue jeans transfer color onto the seat. Got out the Maguire's leather cleaner and the blue from the jeans came right off.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I have 3LT Kalahari interior, had some blue jeans transfer color onto the seat. Got out the Maguire's leather cleaner and the blue from the jeans came right off.
Yeah but it won't after a while...look into an aires seat defender talked about here....if you are a jeans person....I've had them in my last 3 cars....

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Aires seat defender"? What is that?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you wear wet or brand new jeans in the car? I don't understand how dry jeans that had been washed a few times could transfer color!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see the aires seat defender cover. Kind of defeats the point of having Kalihari interior if I have to put covers over them just to wear jeans! You guys must be talking about some kind of jeans with lots of dye still bleeding, right?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Did you wear wet or brand new jeans in the car? I don't understand how dry jeans that had been washed a few times could transfer color!
Dry older jeans, it showed up on a road trip from Philadelphia to Michigan. I was a bit surprised that I had the color transfer.

Like I stated above cleaned right up and now I am cleaning the seat every weekend.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you had the car long? Have any other pair of jeans been a problem or just the one? Now that I finally decided on the interior I don't want to have to clean the seats constantly. I mean I wear jeans all the time.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Have you had the car long? Have any other pair of jeans been a problem or just the one? Now that I finally decided on the interior I don't want to have to clean the seats constantly. I mean I wear jeans all the time.
Car delivered 4/17/14, only had the issue that one time. Since both my wife have equal time in the left seat, could have been from something she wore. My point was how easily it came clean and looks brand new. I say get the Kalahari and don't worry about it as it cleans up very nicely.

·
Registered
557 Posts
As much as I wanted the C7 to have the light cashmere interior as an option..... I remember visiting my parents twice a year and cleaning their Caddy CTS interiors in cashmere. He had three of them and I had a bugger of a time getting the blue scrubbed off the high spots. His 2010 was the worst.

·
Registered
810 Posts
My mom would never let us sit on the living room furniture wearing jeans. The light colored fabric would always show blue transfer from jeans, no matter how many times they had been washed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do you have Kalahari or Brownstone interior? I have Brownstone (Alcantra?) and I have a spot on it and wondered what I should use to try to remove it. I would think Kalahari leather would be handled like other leather.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Do you have Kalahari or Brownstone interior? I have Brownstone (Alcantra?) and I have a spot on it and wondered what I should use to try to remove it. I would think Kalahari leather would be handled like other leather.
I have the 3LT Kalahari perforated interior.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I will go with 3LT Kalihari and just be careful. No way I want to cover them up. Seems to defeat the reason you get them! All the comments I have seen say it comes right off. btw I chatted with GM and they don't know if the leather is coated. So I called their marketing line for customers, again no idea. They are supposed to get back to me!

I do have another question. With that light colored dash is there any issue with reflection on the inside of the windshield?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am probably over thinking this but I have not bought a new car in 35 years. So I want to get it right, plus it is a lot of money.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I am probably over thinking this .
you are.....go have fun and worry about something else....

the test for coated leather:
drop a water droplet on the seat - if it beads and sits there, it's coated... if it absorbs in and shows a wet spot it is not coated....

but don't' bother, it's coated....chev could not afford the warranty costs of uncoated leather, like in a Bentley or Rolls...

·
Registered
810 Posts
Do what I do. Drive naked for now on!:cool:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK guys. Thanks for the input. I have decided to buy Kalihari. I am sure there are cases where it gets stained but it seems it is manageable. Also I have owned white furniture and light cloth interiors with no issues.

Reactions: Tom0021
1 - 20 of 25 Posts