Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
regguy1, I had no idea there was that many brands for sale. Any oil on that list you can put in your Vette? I always thought Vette owners only used Mobile 1 Thanks for the list!

SF
Rick

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's nice to know what meets the GM spec. takes the guess work out of 'oil shopping', personally I'll likely stick with Mobil 1 or Castrol Syn Tec. but wouldn't worry about using any approved product.

FYI: Dexos 2 is the oil spec for diesel engines.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Since this thread is about oil I'm posting 2 photos of the LT1 oil pump. They're driven off the crankshaft on the front of the engine.

You'll notice 2 configurations, both have a vane style pump. The Z51 dry sump also has an additional gear rotor style pump. (Z51 is the photo on the right)
The Z51 secondary gear rotor (gerotor) pump is a 'scavenger' pump, it picks up the oil that accumulates in the pan and returns it to the Z51's dry sump reservoir.

The vane pump is a very capable high capacity design. This type of pump is used in GM transmissions such as the 4L60E any many others.
I rebuilt transmissions for 45 years and am quite familiar with this type of pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just had mine changed and expected for them to put in the cheaper dexos semi syn oil, but to my surprise the paperwork said Mobil 1. I wonder if at this dealership, they just figure it is easier to put Mobil one in ALL corvettes. Didn't charge me a dime.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Where's Valvoline? I'm sure they have a dexos1 synthetic.
It's there, listed as Synpower. Sort on the 2nd column, supplier.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Sriegle, how many miles on your Vette when you had the oil changed?

SF
Rick

I just had mine changed and expected for them to put in the cheaper dexos semi syn oil, but to my surprise the paperwork said Mobil 1. I wonder if at this dealership, they just figure it is easier to put Mobil one in ALL corvettes. Didn't charge me a dime.

·
Registered
31 Posts
so gm says to use 15-50 on the track yet there is no dexos approved 15-50?

·
Registered
873 Posts
so gm says to use 15-50 on the track yet there is no dexos approved 15-50?
Actually, they specifically say to use Mobil 1 15w-50.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts