Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, this is one I would like some input on. I accidentally locked my key in the car this morning. I didn't think it was possible. Is this a flaw? Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Situation: I placed the key in the cup holder, exited the vehicle and pushed the door lock button on my way out of the vehicle. Interesting, at the same time I did that, the rear hatch
popped open, but not all the way. My immediate thought was to use the button under the hatch to open it to get to the manual door latch inside. That did not work.

I guess I should mention that the car was turned off.

Of course, I had to have my wife bring the second key to get me into the vehicle.

Question: Should the door actually lock with the key inside the vehicle or is this a flaw?

I am really interested to know if anyone has this happen to them.

Note: Here is an interesting fact. Instead of my wife picking me up at my office (I was only a block away from the gas station where this happened) and taking me to the vehicle.
She went to the vehicle, and drove it to my office. Seems she isn't getting enough time behind the wheel and will steal any opportunity to do so. LOL, I don't blame her.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Great story.....my wife says I'm going to back it out of the garage to wash it, I'll be right back..........30 minutes later she pulls back down driveway ready to wash it! LOL

I have no idea on the key issue.

Bryan

Reactions: tfresh7

·
Registered
273 Posts
I was told by my dealer the key can be locked inside if it is in the steering column as it happened when I went in for service and left key in column while sitting in service drive. I had the second key with me...

·
Registered
427 Posts
I do believe that it is very possible to lock it if they are anywhere in the car. When I picked up my Z06 from the Corvette Museum I left the second set in my camera bag. Every time I stopped to get gas and closed the door it would lock the car. Never through about it until I got back to Colorado and went into a Starbucks, when we headed back to the car I had the passenger try to see if they could get into the car since the key left in the car. Thankfully in that situation the door was locked and wouldn't open for them. Part of the reason that I set up the OnStar app on my phone, hopefully will prevent me from locking my self out and having to call for help.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Interesting. My other cars with keyless entry wouldn't let me lock a key in the car unless I had a second key with me outside the car. I'll have to try this on mine at home (where the second key is in easy reach) and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Tfresh - don't forget you can use your OnStar App to open the lock any time even w/o a subscription service. I bet you could even call them to let you in if you don't have the app but that's just a guess. Perhaps your wife hid this factoid from you so she could "rescue" you and rub it in a little ;) Oh and drive the vette too!

Our Mazda CX9 wont auto lock or let you lock the doors with a fob inside. It will beep at you. If I have one and my wife leaves her purse in the car with the other, it won't lock. Perhaps our Stingray's with the plethora of options have a way to set this up as well.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Broker biker why would you have your key in the column? John

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do believe that it is very possible to lock it if they are anywhere in the car. When I picked up my Z06 from the Corvette Museum I left the second set in my camera bag. Every time I stopped to get gas and closed the door it would lock the car. Never through about it until I got back to Colorado and went into a Starbucks, when we headed back to the car I had the passenger try to see if they could get into the car since the key left in the car. Thankfully in that situation the door was locked and wouldn't open for them. Part of the reason that I set up the OnStar app on my phone, hopefully will prevent me from locking my self out and having to call for help.
Thanks for the reply. I too have the OnStar on my phone. Wouldn't you know it, my phone was locked in the car as well. The perfect storm!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Educate me here. I drive with the fob in the steering column all the time. I learned this while at Spring Mountain as that is where the key is placed by them.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I think they leave the keys there so they will always be with the car. There is no reason to put they there. They should stay in your pocket. John. I never noted that they were there at spring mountain. John

Reactions: Vigilance247

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the reply Racer X. I have since put the OnStar number in my wallet along with other emergency numbers for future reference. I will now make a point NOT to leave my key in the car.
Interesting though, I remember the car automatically unlocking the door in the past when I have left the key in it. I will be performing some tests in the very near future and will post my findings.

·
Registered
244 Posts
There is Lockout Protection and Unlocked Door Anti Lockout that can be set in vehicle personalization. I have a 2016 and I believe it was off by default.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Educate me here. I drive with the fob in the steering column all the time. I learned this while at Spring Mountain as that is where the key is placed by them.
I think one reason that I have read was that if the transponder battery was low you can stick it in the steering column to establish a connection to start the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the reply CO-2016Z06, Glad to hear your situation was favorable. One good thing is that the vehicle will not lock the door if it is running.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is Lockout Protection and Unlocked Door Anti Lockout that can be set in vehicle personalization. I have a 2016 and I believe it was off by default.
Thanks for the reply Jayps, I have a 2015, hopefully it has this feature in the personalization menu. I will be checking it in the morning.

·
18,667 Posts
There are other reasons why at Spring Mountain they leave the key fob in the steering column:

1) So the key fob is not going to fly around the car when you are pulling over 1.0G; and,

2) When during a classroom session or break, the car techs can take your car to the maintenance garage for whatever reason they wish (not having to find you with the key fob in your pocket).

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I just tried this with my 2014. With car off I put the fob in the cup holder then locked the door using the inside button on the door and closed the door. About a second later the door unlocked. I haven't done any programming of the door locking features so I assume the default for my car is to not allow the key to be locked in the car.

This is a good thing since I keep the fob in the cup holder when driving for comfort's sake.

Also looking at the manual its not clear if this feature is even programmable. Not sure why anybody would want to turn it off anyway.

This makes the OP's experience very interesting including the rear hatch popping open.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the reply Racer X. I have since put the OnStar number in my wallet along with other emergency numbers for future reference. I will now make a point NOT to leave my key in the car.
Interesting though, I remember the car automatically unlocking the door in the past when I have left the key in it. I will be performing some tests in the very near future and will post my findings.
Try the phone app instead of the Onstar number. It's free for 5 years.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
My Jeep GC won't allow me to lock the car with the FOB in the cub holder. I valet park often and the valet will leave the fob in the cup holder and I will forget about it.

Reactions: Boomer

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Try the phone app instead of the Onstar number. It's free for 5 years.
OP locked his phone IN the car WITH his keys... So not a bad backup plan to have the ability to contact Onstar.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts