Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a minor body repair replacing bumper on 2015 convertible. Battery apparently went dead locking me out. I went to use the manual key and realized that body shop had not installed the lock cylinder above the license plate after replacing the bumper. ANY IDEA?

Popalock could not get into it without probably breaking the window. Read an article about removing tail light and using speaker wire to charge via wires for a few second to use key fob.

Any real word experience is appreciated, although it is a pretty odd situation and probably not many have experience this. Thanks!!

·
Administrator
15,906 Posts
Wow, that is an unfortunate and unusual situation oholem! Possibly, if you drove in to the repair place with a marginal battery and they did not short any wires putting the bumper back, the battery may after sitting, have enough power to allow you to open the door with the FOB.
Have you checked to see if the battery in the FOB hasn't died? Is the key cylinder visible through the hole and if so, can it be fished?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bumper was replaced about 18 months ago. I did install new batteries into both key fobs and they are not recognized. I spent about 3 hours trying to fish the lock cylinder into position via the 3/4" hole above the license plate but finally I think I pushed the lock totally out of position. I can't help but laugh at myself for not checking the key cylinder after the body work. I am stumped...

·
Administrator
15,906 Posts
I guess you could always take the rear bumper off again...at least partially (since obviously you can't open the trunk to get at the top screws etc.). Possibly remove the lower attachments so that you could pull the bumper away from the body enough to get your hand in and retrieve the lock cylinder?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess you could always take the rear bumper off again...at least partially (since obviously you can't open the trunk to get at the top screws etc.). Possibly remove the lower attachments so that you could pull the bumper away from the body enough to get your hand in and retrieve the lock cylinder?
Thank you, appreciate the feedback. I have a technician from the body shop coming here tomorrow. That may be the approach. Also, someone posted to try and add power to the starter, and/or tail light connection to get the Fob to work. I tried numerous ways to get to the lock cylinder including magnets, rods and hooks though that little 3/4" hole. I needed to get really lucky, like one of those claw cranes for stuffed animals, but it just didn't happen. I could get it in the area vertically and could see the key slot, but could not get it to tip over. Fun stuff. I will post the result in case anyone every has this unusual situation. I hope no one ever needs it.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,225 Posts
Just fishing here, did you try various sizes of flat tipped screwdrivers and wiggle around in the opening? You may get lucky with the blade tripping a latch or whatever.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is interesting, I did actually punch around in all direction and pushed against firm object but never got anything to unlatch. Thank you for the suggestion.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Is there any way to get your finger or a small tool back under the two areas where the front hood latches? Try a snake camera to guide you. If you can release the two latches on the hood, you can hook up a small battery to the fuse box + and frame - and you will be in business to open the doors.

Reactions: kgrant (Kyle)

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
Another thing you may try, you have to feel comfortable doing this. You're going to maybe need two more people.
Get a thin wire, tie a loop at one end and long enough to reach from the top of the window to the emergency door latch on the floor
If the convertible roof is flexible enough, see if the two people can pry the roof up from the top of the widow where it may give you enough room to slide the wire down and really do some fancy maneuvering to slide the loop over the latch, you'll need a look out on the other side as a guide and probably a high intensity light to see inside.
It's a shot, who knows........

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is there any way to get your finger or a small tool back under the two areas where the front hood latches? Try a snake camera to guide you. If you can release the two latches on the hood, you can hook up a small battery to the fuse box + and frame - and you will be in business to open the doors.
thanks for the suggestion, we will look at this
Another thing you may try, you have to feel comfortable doing this. You're going to maybe need two more people.
Get a thin wire, tie a loop at one end and long enough to reach from the top of the window to the emergency door latch on the floor
If the convertible roof is flexible enough, see if the two people can pry the roof up from the top of the widow where it may give you enough room to slide the wire down and really do some fancy maneuvering to slide the loop over the latch, you'll need a look out on the other side as a guide and probably a high intensity light to see inside.
It's a shot, who knows........
I had popalock come to try to open. They used a small air bladder with pump on the window and the top was too thick and too tight so they gave up. The good news is these cars are really hard to get into somebody wiuld have to break the window.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
thanks for the suggestion, we will look at this
I will pop the hood later today and take a close look at exactly how the latches work. I will see if I can provide any hints about how to get it open without having to use the hood release inside the cockpit.

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
Forget about my previous suggestion prying roof from window. One of the guys at breakfast earlier brought his vert, tried to pry, would not budge.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
632 Posts
Here’s some pictures of latches.

067915A9-5D17-4F1C-89F3-EE812CFA0892.jpeg
7BBBEAEF-4D47-48E6-AC9E-6D664CCB08D8.jpeg
8E8AEEEC-63AE-49AF-BF44-78FC81EB7DE1.jpeg
53B1C2EC-C487-4857-B2B4-525A0C597800.jpeg
15A91A47-E728-482E-A6BA-770C49DA3B91.jpeg

I will pop the hood later today and
take a close look at exactly how the latches work. I will see if I can provide any hints about how to get it open without having to use the hood release inside the cockpit.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you. As it turned out the solution was to jack up the car, apply power to the starter, and then we were able to open the door. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It is nice to have support from a great group of people. Now I have the battery unhooked and on the convertible it seems impossible to get the battery out of the compartment. I have a wire with handles on the positive terminal hardware and a men's belt wrapped around the back end. So, now I am looking for a convertible specific video on changing the battery. Thank you again.

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
Good to hear. I've heard the battery will come out, but I don't have a vert, so not much help from me. You'll have to do some scowering on the internet.

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
91 Posts
Congratulations on your success! I had no clue so I just shut the hell up. :D

Now, I will offer up a piece of advice for the future though.... As you found out, when the batteries die in these puppies it ain't purdy.... Do yourself a favor. Get a Battery Tender Plus and use it!! I've used them on everything from small motorcycle/lawnmower batteries to MONSTROUSLY HUGE "D" cells for travel trailers/motorhomes and everything inbetween. They're worth their weight in gold.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I finally got the battery out on the c7 convertible. I had to practically tip it over on its left short side and then pull it up vertically. I have a battery minder and have never used it. My car is almost 6 years old and I was working on getting a new battery the last week and I had unfortunate timing. I will pull out my trickle charger, thanks!

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
91 Posts
No clue what a battery minder is. The Tenders aren't a trickle charger per se. They monitor the battery charge level and as long as it's "full" the Tender does nothing. It just sits and monitors the battery level. If the level drops, which it will for various reasons, it will slowly bring it back to full charge and then flip back into monitoring mode.

Yours may do that, no clue. I know people who won't use them but my view is for the money I have in my mower, Vette, etc, etc, etc I'll spend the pittance for a Tender Plus and have piece of mind. Going away for 5 days this coming week... the Vette WILL be plugged in.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts