Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have the other post for "Military Life". I just got orders to Alaska and I have chosen to keep my baby! Looking for suggestion on "long term" storage(like, 3 years). Does it have to be climate controlled, tires, fluid, does someone have to come drive it, bugs, critters...I know there are folks on here that have had the same car for quite sometime and will have great ideas! Thanks in advance!

415/500
LB 3LT Z51
Love It!!

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
A post above you....winter storage...very close to same thing, addition of a quality indoor cover....and a coat of good insulator wax....collonite 845 is a great one....personally for 3 years, I would not put the batt on a maintainer, it would come completely out of the car. Good luck.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A post above you....winter storage...very close to same thing, addition of a quality indoor cover....and a coat of good insulator wax....collonite 845 is a great one....personally for 3 years, I would not put the batt on a maintainer, it would come completely out of the car. Good luck.
I was wondering about the battery. Since the car is so electronic heavy, I have to guess what would happen when I hook it back up?

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Assuming the batt is good, it will just work. On long term storage, you want the car, boat, MC, ETC. to be electronically DEAD as circuits that remain energized for years corrode to some degree....so kill the car. CRC-656 is a good value protectant for metal and electronics.

I'm sure some of the military forums have good advice on this as it happens a lot.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Honestly 3 years is a long time for a car to sit it's one thing to store it just for a winter it's another for 3 years. Issues like gas going bad, water in fuel tank, seals drying out, rodent damage, tire rot, etc could end up costing you a lot of money when you get back to get it running again. Not to mention your warranty will have expired. You might think about selling it.

If not and you know someone you can trust they should start it up once in awhile and even take it for a drive. Just my $.02

·
Registered
475 Posts
The computer would reset it self. The only things you would loose would be your radio settings and any other personal memory items such as seat and door window indexing. All of the above are easy to restore. You might want to take the weight off of the tires with jack stands and use rodent control as noted in the referenced topic on the forum. Good luck on your new assignment.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the 3rd time this has happened (1995 polo green, 2006 velocity yellow and now #415). The other 2 times I sold and this time I just want to keep it! I have a few months to figure it out, so ill take all info I can right now.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The computer would reset it self. The only things you would loose would be your radio settings and any other personal memory items such as seat and door window indexing. All of the above are easy to restore. You might want to take the weight off of the tires with jack stands and use rodent control as noted in the referenced topic on the forum. Good luck on your new assignment.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Sell it to someone you trust. Try to buy it back from them again when you return.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Remember, this car has settings and software backup to USB in the settings menu. So theoretically, a simple reload after even 10 years would yeild no loss of anything......

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just found a place called AdKos. Says they specialize in this...will one (or all) of you check it out and tell me what you think? I'm going to contact the transportation office at the Air Force base in Montgomery and see if they have anyone using this place.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Can you store it, where can can visit a couple times a year while you are on leave? Vegas? Washington State?

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
I know where a garage is in a suburb near San Francisco! :evil grin:

·
Registered
957 Posts
Amanda go visit Jimmy he may know.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
957 Posts
That is sooooo awesome Amanda, they will take super care of Gideon while you are in Alaska and he will be on display for many to enjoy. Win win situation for everyone!
Happy Dance for you!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am so happy! Now I can go and know that he is being taken care of!!

415/500
LB 3LT Z51
Love It!!

·
Registered
993 Posts
Wow! That's an amazing deal for both parties.:cool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts