Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because I'm in Texas, I'm required to have a front license plate. Not happy about this, BUT have heard there are brackets I can purchase that won't put holes in my front bumper or give me the option to remove at any time (i.e. the plate is removable from a bracket that slightly protrudes from the grill.

Have any of you used these and if so, thoughts and where can I buy?

·
18,670 Posts
This will be one option from GM, and of course aftermarket ones too. I was told that GM has to provide you with this bracket at no charge since your state requires a front plate (but have been unable to verify that so far). If not, it may have be shipped with your car at a $15 charge. Your dealer will know which of these two things it is. Here's the video on GM's option.

[VIDEO] 2014 Corvette ? How to Affix a Front License Plate

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Elegant! I just confirmed with my dealership that I did, in fact, order this... he made sure it was included. The charge was $15 :)

·
Administrator
16,490 Posts
My understanding is that the front plate is automatically added by GM to every C7 shipped to a state where front license plates are required. The $15 charge is automatic as well.

Reactions: SCR2014Vette

·
Registered
346 Posts
Just leave it off!! I did that on my '98 Pace Car that I drove around upstate New York for over 5 years (no winters, of course) and I never got stopped. My friend got stopped twice in 8 years and paid a $50. fine each time. That calculates to $12.50 per year NOT to have a front plate!!:eek::eek::D

·
Premium Member
95 Posts

·
Administrator
16,490 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Corvettemods1. Actually, from the video above, I'm going to stick with the one the dealership ordered me which comes with it. Apparently, it improves the aerodynamics of the vehicle :)

·
Registered
186 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
to use or not to use Front Lic. Plate Bracket

Hello Elegant:
Great video and good info. Thanks.

The bracket that actually is provided by GM for 4 Provines in Canada that require front plates is a flat black plastic one but a Carbon Flash painted one is available at additional cost from GM. I will have the GM provided one and I have ordered the Carbon Flash one which is Dealer installed of course. There is also a two way sticky tape one provided with the car at no charge. Similar to the C6 bracket and it sits on the bumper facia and is ugly as hell!!! I do have a question though and that is, on the front of the grill bracket it demos (by imprinted picture) that this is not a license plate bracket. Is this to CYA by GM because of front license plate height issues required by some States and Provinces or is it to make sure that the cover plate is removed before a lic. plate is placed on it. I am not clear on this. Can anyone advise. I invested my money in the carbon flash bracket before realizing this issue. Not that this is going to stop me from using it, I just want to be as correct as possible. I had big arguements with service personal when they were going to drill holes in the bumper of my ZR1. The Two way tape in high heat can loosen and cause the plate and bracket if too heavy to fall off of the bumper. ahhh!! Then we are in a hole different ball game.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I didn't realized there was a whole other thread on this and I am glad to read what everyone had to say about the issue. I agree with the users and the non users as I have been there for both. I got a warning ticket about no plate and had to show it mounted at the local police station within 7 days after getting the ticket with my ZR1, so you couldn't really ignor the issue once the ticket was issued. The grill on the C6 as most of you know is too narrow to put a bracket in it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is the link to Top Flight Reproductions

C6 Corvette Z06/ZR1 License Plate Brackets :: Top Flight Reproductions - High Quality C6 Corvette Products

It shows two different plate mounts for the C7, a grille mount and a low-profile mount plate bracket. The low profile one mounts by removing two screws beneath the front bumper with the holes matching those in the plate bracket. Then the screws are simply re-attached with the bracket in place. I would like to hear from anyone who has used this low profile bracket on their C7.
Since GM didn't place these screws there in anticipation of the Top-Flight bracket, my question is whether there has to be care given when removing them. They must be there for some assembly. Was there any problem in mounting the bracket, e.g. with re-aligning any loose components?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Trimmed OEM GM curved aero panel...virtually invisible with added air flow...awesome free mod
smoked plate cover curved with a heat gun
NOTE: don't buy from Top Flight Reproductions...rip off squad

·
Registered
392 Posts
Why not use the Aeroplate that GM provided with your C7?

It has conveniently placed guide holes on the back to drill holes for the lisence plate screws. I drilled holes through my lisence plate too so I can take the whole thing off for car shows.

That's what a lot of us have done.

Or you can contact Jason([email protected] or 323-452-2322) at JacFab.com and order theirs that attaches to the 2 screws underneath the front fascia.

Aeroplate.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts