Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Corvette
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! Newbie on the forums. I wanted some input, tips, advice, guidance, etc. Looking to buy an automatic C7 model. Selling my C5 which I've had for about 6 months. I'm located in Tampa, FL area. I don't know jack about the C7 except that I want one and I'm reading up. I was going to try dealerships so that I can get an extended warranty. What I see online so far: 2014-2016 Stingray model years, with about average of 30-35k miles, they are going for $40-45k, about. It looks like the better deals are within the same $40-45k price range and lower mileage 18-29k. I see a few prices from $36-39k with higher mileage 40-50k. Any tips? DOs, DONTs? Common issues? Years to stay away from? Someone told me they are known to have transmission issues. So I'm a little worried since I would be taking out a loan paying $600-700 a month. Doing more research as I move along.

Some examples: Used Cars for Sale – CARFAX
Used Cars for Sale – CARFAX

I appreciate the input!

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
847 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I have a 2014 Stingray Z51 A6 and have been trouble free and I think the C7 overall is one of the best made corvettes GM has made and most that I am aware has been overall trouble free. The C7 has also retained its value very well even in the release of the C8.

The only thing about the 2014 which I have and if that is important to you didn't come with Apple/Android Carplay which allows you to mirror your phone on the infotainment screen but there are aftermarket solutions to that.

I personally would buy the lowest miles at the price point that's affordable to me as there should be plenty of low mileage Garage Queens out there because many don't use as a daily driver.

Also, the Trim levels are 1LT, 2LT with 3LT being the loaded trim level and I would recommend the middle of the road 2LT which has more than adequate comfort and suspension feature options and also I like the Z51 Package vs the Base Stingray.

Oh, some thought the A6 Transmission was better than the A8 Transmission but I guess it depends on who you talk to but early on the A8s had some issues but I don't know the extend of them but I don't see a lot of recent news so probably got the A8 smoothed out.

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
The C7 is a fantastic automobile and it's difficult to make recommendations as we a.re all different. Wh at is important to me may be non consequential to you. I originally went out to buy a new C7 in 2018 and stumbled on a 2015 with 2000 miles that was a GM Exec car which meant it still had the entire factory warranty as it had not been registered out of GM hands. And it was a vert which I was not going to spend the cash for had i bought new. Something to consider 2016 was the first year of the forward facing camera which is the only thing i wish I had gotten but had to forgo in my 2015. Yes there are after market set ups but the factory was the way to go for me...
If your a little patient there are great deals to be had out there on like new C7's both by private parties and even dealers. Check out the bigger Corvette dealers as they tend to have a loyal customer base who are upgrading their used C7s for C8s or just trading in their cars.
Good luck and I think you'll be pretty happy with the upgrade.

Reactions: warp ten

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Oh and with your question regarding transmission issues. Yes they had a problem with delayed engagement on many of the automatic transmissions. Most if not all were fixed under warranty with new trans and rear ends or factory rebuilt
units. I had that issue on my 2015 since the transmission was replaced not had an issue.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
There's a really cool "tricked out" C7 for sale here if you want to get off the ground running!

Mod comment: This is a manual, OP is looking for an automatic.

·
Administrator
16,302 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
22k mile 2016 2LT Z51 convertible with performance data recorder. Only issues I have had is with a belt tensioner that went bad around 15k miles and infotainment screen that blitzed out at 10k. Both are well documented problems so if you find a carfax with those items don’t be surprised. Maybe even breathe easy knowing that one has already had the failure. I feel the fuel door lock failing in the locked position is a recuring theme on this forum (I used the word feel so regulars please don’t correct me). I added a shim so not to get caught on the road with that problem but never personally experienced it. My dealer can't get oil volume correct in the Z51’s dry oil sump so learn to doble check that every time you get an oil change if you end up with Z51 or Grand Sport. (I know many regulars reading this change your own oil. I am not going to do that even though I have a lift. That’s going to upset some people). Red paint of the fuel rail covers comes off with the slightest effort toward rinsing of the engine bay so don't be surprised to see that. If I saw the red paint worn off I would assume the engine bay had a hose or high pressure wash. I have a rattle in my steering wheel on cold days. That one annoys me because Motor Trend complained about it in one of their early long-term drivers. I guess GM didn't or wouldnt figure it out. Camber setting on the Z51 front wheels can eat up the inside tread of the front tires. If you see that work a deal to have the camber changed and new set of front tires. I wish I had magnetic shock because everyone raves about those. That's all I have to share. I love that car.

·
Registered
1999 Corvette
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kyle, thank you for the detailed response. Especially mentioning about the Apple/Android carplay not available in 2014 models. I also see that the front facing cameras are in 2016 and above as well. As you mentioned, Now I know to narrow down to 2LT model. I appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Just FYI Apple/android carplay is not available in 2015 models.

Reactions: kgrant (Kyle)

·
Registered
1999 Corvette
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
forward facing camera
The C7 is a fantastic automobile and it's difficult to make recommendations as we a.re all different. Wh at is important to me may be non consequential to you. I originally went out to buy a new C7 in 2018 and stumbled on a 2015 with 2000 miles that was a GM Exec car which meant it still had the entire factory warranty as it had not been registered out of GM hands. And it was a vert which I was not going to spend the cash for had i bought new. Something to consider 2016 was the first year of the forward facing camera which is the only thing i wish I had gotten but had to forgo in my 2015. Yes there are after market set ups but the factory was the way to go for me...
If your a little patient there are great deals to be had out there on like new C7's both by private parties and even dealers. Check out the bigger Corvette dealers as they tend to have a loyal customer base who are upgrading their used C7s for C8s or just trading in their cars.
Good luck and I think you'll be pretty happy with the upgrade.
Thanks for your input. I hear ya on the forward facing camera. I'd want it factory too.

·
Registered
1999 Corvette
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
22k mile 2016 2LT Z51 convertible with performance data recorder. Only issues I have had is with a belt tensioner that went bad around 15k miles and infotainment screen that blitzed out at 10k. Both are well documented problems so if you find a carfax with those items don’t be surprised. Maybe even breathe easy knowing that one has already had the failure. I feel the fuel door lock failing in the locked position is a recuring theme on this forum (I used the word feel so regulars please don’t correct me). I added a shim so not to get caught on the road with that problem but never personally experienced it. My dealer can't get oil volume correct in the Z51’s dry oil sump so learn to doble check that every time you get an oil change if you end up with Z51 or Grand Sport. (I know many regulars reading this change your own oil. I am not going to do that even though I have a lift. That’s going to upset some people). Red paint of the fuel rail covers comes off with the slightest effort toward rinsing of the engine bay so don't be surprised to see that. If I saw the red paint worn off I would assume the engine bay had a hose or high pressure wash. I have a rattle in my steering wheel on cold days. That one annoys me because Motor Trend complained about it in one of their early long-term drivers. I guess GM didn't or wouldnt figure it out. Camber setting on the Z51 front wheels can eat up the inside tread of the front tires. If you see that work a deal to have the camber changed and new set of front tires. I wish I had magnetic shock because everyone raves about those. That's all I have to share. I love that car.
Raw detailed feedback. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2014 Z51 AT Coupe 3LT
8 Posts
I went from a '00 C5 that I loved to a 2014 Z51. The difference between the two cars is night and day.

My only regret is that I didn't buy a new 2019 when they were still available from dealers. My 2014 only has 15K on the clock and has everything I want, but I've fallen in love with the C7 as a result of the purchase. I will be kicking myself for the next several years for not purchasing one new.

·
Registered
1999 Corvette
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went from a '00 C5 that I loved to a 2014 Z51. The difference between the two cars is night and day.

My only regret is that I didn't buy a new 2019 when they were still available from dealers. My 2014 only has 15K on the clock and has everything I want, but I've fallen in love with the C7 as a result of the purchase. I will be kicking myself for the next several years for not purchasing one new.
What features on the 2019 did you want that are unavailable on the 2014?

·
Premium Member
2014 Z51 AT Coupe 3LT
8 Posts
I wanted 'native' CarPlay rather than adding it via the Infotainment modules, which have been something of a nightmare. The forward cameras would be nice, too.

·
Registered
1999 Corvette
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wanted 'native' CarPlay rather than adding it via the Infotainment modules, which have been something of a nightmare. The forward cameras would be nice, too.
I'm really glad you mentioned that! Those are my 2 features I want as well. Front facing camera and Android auto play. I was so close to buying a 2014 model when I found out the 2016 and newer have those features. 2 dealers are trying to convince me to add those on after buying the car. Not sure what needs to be done... If the whole unit needs to be swapped out. Why a nightmare?

·
Premium Member
2014 Z51 AT Coupe 3LT
8 Posts
Well, the Infotainment modules are as advertised, but if you read the forum traffic or go to the MVI website, you'll find endless discussions of the problems encountered. I had mine professionally installed by an Infotainment installer and I'm on the verge of having the modules pulled back out and doing without CarPlay.

I would not buy a C7 with the thought of adding this one feature. The functionality is there, but you lose the Driving Modes, etc. The folks at Infotainment are woefully short of Corvette-specific expertise; their programming is done by someone who knows the car and understands the tradeoffs, but the Infotainment people do not.

I cannot speak to the front cameras; at some point, I'll find an upgrade path and have them. For the moment, however, I'm enjoying the car and don't want to tempt fate any further.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
847 Posts
Sounds like pressure salesmanship. If those are important to you I would try to get them already installed vs the aftermarket modification. If you are handy, then it's not a tough do it yourself modification but you are in the buying stage so get it stock already installed is my recommendation.

I'm really glad you mentioned that! Those are my 2 features I want as well. Front facing camera and Android auto play. I was so close to buying a 2014 model when I found out the 2016 and newer have those features. 2 dealers are trying to convince me to add those on after buying the car. Not sure what needs to be done... If the whole unit needs to be swapped out. Why a nightmare?

·
Premium Member
2014 Z51 AT Coupe 3LT
8 Posts
I love my Z51, but I concur: If you're not 'set' on a particular car, as I was, get the year model with the options already installed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey everyone! Newbie on the forums. I wanted some input, tips, advice, guidance, etc. Looking to buy an automatic C7 model. Selling my C5 which I've had for about 6 months. I'm located in Tampa, FL area. I don't know jack about the C7 except that I want one and I'm reading up. I was going to try dealerships so that I can get an extended warranty. What I see online so far: 2014-2016 Stingray model years, with about average of 30-35k miles, they are going for $40-45k, about. It looks like the better deals are within the same $40-45k price range and lower mileage 18-29k. I see a few prices from $36-39k with higher mileage 40-50k. Any tips? DOs, DONTs? Common issues? Years to stay away from? Someone told me they are known to have transmission issues. So I'm a little worried since I would be taking out a loan paying $600-700 a month. Doing more research as I move along.

Some examples: Used Cars for Sale – CARFAX

I appreciate the input!
I have a 2015 and love it. I have had two problems both covered under warranty. At around 11k there was a shudder. Replaced torque converter. At 20k miles they had to replace a fuel pump assembly. I have /3k miles now and it runs great!! I love it and wouldn’t hesitate to buy. The C8 looks haven’t grown on me so I am sticking with my C7.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2015 and love it. I have had two problems both covered under warranty. At around 11k there was a shudder. Replaced torque converter. At 20k miles they had to replace a fuel pump assembly. I have /3k miles now and it runs great!! I love it and wouldn’t hesitate to buy. The C8 looks haven’t grown on me so I am sticking with my C7.
23k miles on it now!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts