Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Exactly 10 years ago I bought my first Corvette. It was a 2003. I loved it. A few years later I traded it for a 2013 with the 6 speed manual tranny. I really enjoyed that car too. Then a few years later I traded it for a 2016 with the auto tranny, which I still own. Each time I traded up, I was amazed at how the next generation of Corvette had improved. You are going to be amazed at how the C7 runs and handles. Take your time and get what you want. I ended up buying a 2016 Stingray in 2016. It was used with 1000 miles on it. I love it. Keep us posted on what you end up getting. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The usual answer is get the most you can afford. Anything over 2015 with as many options you can get. A Z51 is a plus. A8 iis a good trans. At least a 2lt for the heads up. NPP for the switchable exhaust,
Semper Fi
1965-68

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey everyone! Newbie on the forums. I wanted some input, tips, advice, guidance, etc. Looking to buy an automatic C7 model. Selling my C5 which I've had for about 6 months. I'm located in Tampa, FL area. I don't know jack about the C7 except that I want one and I'm reading up. I was going to try dealerships so that I can get an extended warranty. What I see online so far: 2014-2016 Stingray model years, with about average of 30-35k miles, they are going for $40-45k, about. It looks like the better deals are within the same $40-45k price range and lower mileage 18-29k. I see a few prices from $36-39k with higher mileage 40-50k. Any tips? DOs, DONTs? Common issues? Years to stay away from? Someone told me they are known to have transmission issues. So I'm a little worried since I would be taking out a loan paying $600-700 a month. Doing more research as I move along.

Some examples: Used Cars for Sale – CARFAX
Used Cars for Sale – CARFAX

I appreciate the input!
I had two C7 models, both had transmission issues, even under warranty, they were never right. One had severe shudder issues, the other had a jerky shift. GM did not repair the 2nd car, dealer said if it's running it's OK, no warranty unless not driveable. Sold both at a significant loss. Make sure you test drive and get an extended warranty but it's a game to see how they can get out of repairing, read the fine print; even then they will give you a hassle.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The usual answer is get the most you can afford. Anything over 2015 with as many options you can get. A Z51 is a plus. A8 iis a good trans. At least a 2lt for the heads up. NPP for the switchable exhaust,
Semper Fi
1965-68
What he said re: 2LT and the NPP exhaust.
Having gone from a 2003 to the C7 -- the differences are huge, much more than I even expected .

If you haven't already done so -- get your hands on the RPO option code list. This way you'll be able to intelligently
compare the equipment/options that are on the car vs what the salesman claims.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome usmcv to the forum. I have a 2014 Z51 3LT conv., with the A6 transmission. I only had one small issue with my C7, and no issues with the A6. Also, for what it's worth, I agree with most of the info from the others. However, I don't think there is much, if any, premium for the 3LT package, so I'd go with that if you can find one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey everyone! Newbie on the forums. I wanted some input, tips, advice, guidance, etc. Looking to buy an automatic C7 model. Selling my C5 which I've had for about 6 months. I'm located in Tampa, FL area. I don't know jack about the C7 except that I want one and I'm reading up. I was going to try dealerships so that I can get an extended warranty. What I see online so far: 2014-2016 Stingray model years, with about average of 30-35k miles, they are going for $40-45k, about. It looks like the better deals are within the same $40-45k price range and lower mileage 18-29k. I see a few prices from $36-39k with higher mileage 40-50k. Any tips? DOs, DONTs? Common issues? Years to stay away from? Someone told me they are known to have transmission issues. So I'm a little worried since I would be taking out a loan paying $600-700 a month. Doing more research as I move along.

I appreciate the input!
I see you live in Florida. I’m a snowbird from Ohio who owns a ‘16 C7. People up north try to buy southern used cars because of the road salt used in northern states. However sports cars are different. Up north most spend winters covered in garages and are low mileage. Southern sports cars normally have high mileage.
I wouldn’t own anything other than a C7. C8?? My 2 cents. Good luck hunting.

Reactions: usmcv

·
Registered
1999 Corvette
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I had two C7 models, both had transmission issues, even under warranty, they were never right. One had severe shudder issues, the other had a jerky shift. GM did not repair the 2nd car, dealer said if it's running it's OK, no warranty unless not driveable. Sold both at a significant loss. Make sure you test drive and get an extended warranty but it's a game to see how they can get out of repairing, read the fine print; even then they will give you a hassle.
Oh wow! Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I'm really glad you mentioned that! Those are my 2 features I want as well. Front facing camera and Android auto play. I was so close to buying a 2014 model when I found out the 2016 and newer have those features. 2 dealers are trying to convince me to add those on after buying the car. Not sure what needs to be done... If the whole unit needs to be swapped out. Why a nightmare?
Look for 2016 or newer. Plenty out there and if you don't get it now I suspect you will be kicking yourself afterwards.. Have never seen the numbers on this i bet most of the new C8 purchases have a C7 attached to them in a trade or owner sales prior to delivery.
Salesman can be pretty pushy when it comes to convincing you you need what they have or convincing you you don't need what you want at times. only works out for them , not you.

Reactions: warp ten

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I will echo several of the comments here and suggest looking for a 2016 or newer one with at least a 2LZ or 2LT interior, Nav/PDR and the A8 transmission of you want an automatic. Great transmissions, and that is coming from someone who has only owned stick shift Corvettes.The upgraded trims include a lot of good options over the 1LZ. If you don't plan to track the car there is no need to have the Z07 package and that should save a little money as that option was about $7,000 or $8,000 new; I ordered mine without it. Also, my experience over many generations of Corvettes and other cars is that it takes a few years after a model's introduction to work out certain engineering issues and to add more desirable options. Be patient and you will find what you want at a fair price. --Bob

·
Registered
145 Posts

I appreciate the input!
First time Corvette owner here. 2015 Z51 M7 Totally happy with my car but I have learned much since I purchased. Here's my recommendation/thoughts.

• BE PATIENT. Don't compromise on what you want. Like real estate, new cars come on the market daily. I was focused on a specific color combination, Z51 package, M7 transmission and a price point below $50,000. I searched for 6 months and bought my 2015 in August 2018.
  • I searched multiple sources but found mine on cars.com. I flew to Florida to inspect it, buy it and drive it home. I have purchased my last 3 automobiles on cars.com RX350, LS460 and the Corvette.
  • Only buy a GMEPP extended warranty. Dealers can price these any way they choose so pricing is all over the place. I got a quote from my local Chevrolet dealer then I purchased more coverage at 50% the price from Denny Menholt Chevrolet in Billings Montana. Easy and all over the phone and email. Because it's GMEPP, my local dealer has to honor it. Thanks to this forum for teaching me that!
  • Must haves - Z51 package, 2LT trim package, mag ride (not a deal killer), color combo you want. Grand Sport if you don't want a Stingray. Correct Micheline Pilot zero pressure tires or a price concession if the tires are showing age (not a deal killer).
  • I have a 256K thumb drive the size of a dime plugged into the rear wall of the compartment behind the screen. It has approximately 3,000 songs 90% of which include the album art. I keep it on random and if a song comes up I'd rather not hear it's a simple advance to the next song. I love it. I cancelled the XM radio subscriptions in my two Lexus and replaced them with a thumb drive. I don't have any desire to stream any content so this works perfectly for me.
Hope this helps. Thank you for your service Marine!

Reactions: 15snow-ray

·
Registered
68 Posts
Welcome usmcv! I have a 2015 stingray 1Lt that I bought used in 2018 with 7404 miles. Since then I’ve put about 9000 miles on it. It’s purely to take to shows and a couple of weekly drives to church, etc. I put it in winter storage at a very reputable facility for 6 months out of the year. I bought it from a dealer and purchased a bumper to bumper 7 year warranty. (I highly recommend doing this unless you can do a lot of maintenance.)
Through my 4 driving seasons, I have had to do the triple flush on the transmission, replace drive belt tensioner, update the radio (this is free for 2016 models and newer), and had both stablizer links and left front control arm replaced. I replaced the original run flats with Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+ tires (18 front, 19 rear) for a smoother and safer ride (got caught in rain and snow!). In thinking back I should of had an outside mechanic who really knew corvettes and their mechanical history go through the car.....but I bought it in January in storage....no test drive......however their deal was pretty good.....
I also goofed up was on the nav. I thought that I had on-screen nav with maps, etc. But the nav I got was on-screen directions with a service that had an expensive monthly fee. By the way, what I have on my phone now works just fine and it’s free.
Also, I did a lot of cosmetic upgrades –added stainless steel in engine bay and dash, front and rear guards, spoiler, front curb alert product, and led deep blue interior lighting including puddle and door handle lighting. I also found a terrific polishing product with spectacular results for minimal effort. Pictures are below. The price range you stipulated, $40-$45 is pretty accurate for a low mileage basic 1Lt 2015 Stingray.
Finally, I have found that being on forums like this is an incredible way to learn about Stingrays. I am on two of these for the Stingray and one other for my daily driver 2019 Honda CRV Ex L. I also subscribe to two magazines devoted to the Corvette. I hope that you find your perfect car and have a blast with it! It is fun to turn heads when I’m summer driving! I love my Stingray!

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
844 Posts
I've thought about the puddle lightening to the ground when you open your door with a custom image but never got around to it. Where did you purchase your puddle and door handle lighting and how was the DIY install.. Thx

Welcome usmcv! I have a 2015 stingray 1Lt that I bought used in 2018 with 7404 miles. Since then I’ve put about 9000 miles on it. It’s purely to take to shows and a couple of weekly drives to church, etc. I put it in winter storage at a very reputable facility for 6 months out of the year. I bought it from a dealer and purchased a bumper to bumper 7 year warranty. (I highly recommend doing this unless you can do a lot of maintenance.)
Through my 4 driving seasons, I have had to do the triple flush on the transmission, replace drive belt tensioner, update the radio (this is free for 2016 models and newer), and had both stablizer links and left front control arm replaced. I replaced the original run flats with Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+ tires (18 front, 19 rear) for a smoother and safer ride (got caught in rain and snow!). In thinking back I should of had an outside mechanic who really knew corvettes and their mechanical history go through the car.....but I bought it in January in storage....no test drive......however their deal was pretty good.....
I also goofed up was on the nav. I thought that I had on-screen nav with maps, etc. But the nav I got was on-screen directions with a service that had an expensive monthly fee. By the way, what I have on my phone now works just fine and it’s free.
Also, I did a lot of cosmetic upgrades –added stainless steel in engine bay and dash, front and rear guards, spoiler, front curb alert product, and led deep blue interior lighting including puddle and door handle lighting. I also found a terrific polishing product with spectacular results for minimal effort. Pictures are below. The price range you stipulated, $40-$45 is pretty accurate for a low mileage basic 1Lt 2015 Stingray.
Finally, I have found that being on forums like this is an incredible way to learn about Stingrays. I am on two of these for the Stingray and one other for my daily driver 2019 Honda CRV Ex L. I also subscribe to two magazines devoted to the Corvette. I hope that you find your perfect car and have a blast with it! It is fun to turn heads when I’m summer driving! I love my Stingray! View attachment 279408 View attachment 279409

·
Registered
68 Posts
Kyle.....the puddle and footwell lighting came through West Coast Corvette and the trunk lighting came through Corvette Mods... The puddle, footwell and trunk lighting were each separate kits. I now believe you can get the puddle and footwell lighting as one complete kit. There is an excellent independent body shop in my area that does super work and they did the work on the puddle and footwell lighting....I did the trunk. I used the super bright blue lighting. It looks really cool when you come out to the car at night in a parking lot and press the key fob....it looks like a space ship ready to take off!

·
Registered
440 Posts

I appreciate the input!
I just saw a 2014 C7 coupe white with red interior for 30K not so sure about the value holding

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
844 Posts
Where did you see it, do you have online link? That seems very low and would need more information IE: Base or Z51, # of Miles, 1LT, 2LT, 3LT, clean title, any accidents, how many owners etc. Here's a quick Kelly Blue Book Private Party Estimate for 2014, Z51 Stingray, Standard Equipment, 45k miles in very good condition Range $35,448 - $39,099 with an Average of $37,274

I just saw a 2014 C7 coupe white with red interior for 30K not so sure about the value holding

·
Registered
2 Posts

I appreciate the input!
I am selling my Crystal tint red Automatic 3LT 2014 with 12000 miles. If you might be interested, my email is [email protected]. I have a C8 on order

MOD NOTE: raymphs, please put your For Sale post in Corvettes for Sale and review our For Sale rules Guidelines For Creating Or Responding To "For... Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
do your research, that is almost one of those "too good to be true" scenarios. is it 1,2,or 3 LT, mileage and of course condition, Wheels etc??

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
844 Posts
So did you find and purchase as you were close but hadn't been back on and just curious?

I appreciate the input!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts