Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in track mode today ( which I have never driven in on the street or otherwise) I gunned it off the line in my 7 SPD manual, shifted at 6200 right into 2nd, then pop (I believe out the exhaust) and decrease in power. Sounded like engine stopped but tach on dash read 5k. I depressed the clutch, put it in 4th and kept driving fine. Then I did i repeated to see what the hell happened. Did it again. Then I couldn't repeat. Noticed I had it in track mode, put it back to sport, and couldn't repeat there either. Could swear it was out exhaust and hoping to was traction control cutting power, hence backfire. But it really sounded like as soon as I got it into 2nd and jammed gas, it was immediate.

I am at a loss since I can't repeat it yet and I'm concerned. Any thought? I have Hess super in it and gunned it all weekend. No problem. 1040 miles on car.

Please, any thoughts or serious suggestions welcomed.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Automatics do that so I'm suspecting that you hit the sweet spot to do the same with a manual. Never managed to do that in mine though.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I can get my 7spd to backfire when I'm hard on the gas. Never noticed power loss. I don't have to be in track to make it backfire either.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hmm. So does it backfire once you get it into 2nd and jam on the gas? And it just powers right through it? Unless I just got scared by backfire and let off but I remember looking at dash and seeing it at 5k rpm and said to myself I don't even feel anything or hear rpm. Was very weird. I'm going to try and replicate again.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took the car back out. Filled her up with shell instead of Hess. Don't know if that makes a difference or not. Gunned it probably 5 times before fill up and 10 times after. Could not replicate it. Had a slight backfire while blowing the doors off a carrera that didn't want to race, but nothing like earlier. I tried. Very weird.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Took the car back out. Filled her up with shell instead of Hess. Don't know if that makes a difference or not. Gunned it probably 5 times before fill up and 10 times after. Could not replicate it. Had a slight backfire while blowing the doors off a carrera that didn't want to race, but nothing like earlier. I tried. Very weird.
I've had it happen several times, when falling back below 5000 RPM in 2nd or 3rd, but I've never tried to reproduce it.

I don't mind the "pop", but it would be nice if it were accompanied by some flames flashing out the exhaust tips. A dash switch to enable this "feature" would be really cool.:cool:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I say pop it was a loud pop. It caught me off guard as, that's not good, and I can swear my foot was still mushed on pedal both times and power just wasn't there until I put it in neutral and then shifted to a gear. Fine after that. I know it doesn't make sense. That why my only explanation is traction control cut power or something. I don't know. It's going to bug me until it happens again. Or it may never happen again. But I got it to happen twice in a row. No more thereafter.

·
Super Moderator
3,362 Posts
I've had it happen several times, when falling back below 5000 RPM in 2nd or 3rd, but I've never tried to reproduce it.

I don't mind the "pop", but it would be nice if it were accompanied by some flames flashing out the exhaust tips. A dash switch to enable this "feature" would be really cool.:cool:

Saw this on youtube and then read your post.

Reactions: Mobius

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Saw this on youtube and then read your post.
Gotta love it.:)

And the 4-10 foot flames should come in handy when dealing with tailgaters.:rolleyes:

30 foot flames, well that's just "over kill".

Reactions: Vigilance247

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. Torque control would make that noise? Tried a search for torque control but engine doesn't find a tread with that in it besides this one. Any help much appreciated. Thx

·
Registered
63 Posts
When I say pop it was a loud pop. It caught me off guard as, that's not good, and I can swear my foot was still mushed on pedal both times and power just wasn't there until I put it in neutral and then shifted to a gear. Fine after that. I know it doesn't make sense. That why my only explanation is traction control cut power or something. I don't know. It's going to bug me until it happens again. Or it may never happen again. But I got it to happen twice in a row. No more thereafter.
If you had traction control on then it mustve activated. Especially going into second hard like that, maybe your tires began to give and the engine relented a bit to not allow you to keep spinning your tires. My camaro used to do it all the time. I cant speak for the stingray yet because the damn thing is still in the break in period, but even now under 3k rpms the car will stop me while accelerating hard in second if i leave the traction control on.

An esy way to tell is if the traction control light flashes on yuor dash the next time it happens hahahha

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. I think by the time I look at dash the lights to off. With traction control off you can still spin your tires in this car. Has to be going sideways I believe before it powers it down. Don't know what it takes into consideration. My car with z51 gets pretty good grip. Off the line dropping the clutch at 3, hard to grasp right away. But in 2nd with warm tires, I can gun it and it will stick. Cold tires no, and if the road it a bit damp or has rock dust, no.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts