Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently after some spirited driving up to lake Arrowhead my beauty developed a loud rattling noise from the front when driving in 4-cylinder mode under moderate load, as soon as I step of the accelerator or the engine switches back to 8 cylinder the sound is gone.

The sound is heavy not like a lightweight heat shield rattle, I wonder if the Corsa cat-back replacement 2 years ago didn’t tighten all the bolts properly on the plate covering the prop shaft / exhaust?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
533 Posts
Spirited driving in 4cyl mode? You might need to post some audio files to hear what’s going on, but more appropriately take it to a dealership mechanic, provide him with as much specific info as you can to help diagnose the issue. Perhaps a demo of the sound is in order to help diag the problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Spirited driving in 4cyl mode? You might need to post some audio files to hear what’s going on, but more appropriately take it to a dealership mechanic, provide him with as much specific info as you can to help diagnose the issue. Perhaps a demo of the sound is in order to help diag the problem.
You need a drive belt tensioner, seen it more times than I can count. Have changed three in the last several weeks. Very right throttle on V4 mode sounds like something in the front of the engine rattling.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not spirited 4-cyl driving but after spirited driving when in 4-cyl mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need a drive belt tensioner, seen it more times than I can count. Have changed three in the last several weeks. Very right throttle on V4 mode sounds like something in the front of the engine rattling.
The rattling sound goes away when I go off the throttle completely and when the engine switches back to 8-cyl mode and while in 4-cyl mode it only happens sometimes not always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Like I said earlier, you need a drive belt tensioner, the crankshaft pulsations in 4-cylinder mode, causes the rattle noise. Hydraulic tensioner leaks out the fluid, then starts to rattle in V4 mode. There's a GM TSB for this concern also

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like I said earlier, you need a drive belt tensioner, the crankshaft pulsations in 4-cylinder mode, causes the rattle noise. Hydraulic tensioner leaks out the fluid, then starts to rattle in V4 mode. There's a GM TSB for this concern also
Thanks for the info, any chance you happen to know the TSB #?

·
Administrator
15,302 Posts
Thanks for the info, any chance you happen to know the TSB #?

I am not sure it made it to a TSB, but "Failed / failing serpentine belt tensioner PIP 5185 updated to PIP5185A"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts