Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I'd post a few pictures of an easy and safe way to lower your Vette by adjusting the stock bolts. First picture is getting the car in the air using some Race Ramps

This next picture shows the floor jack with a 2x4 lifting the spring so I could back-off the stock lowering bolts.

Now the Driver side.

Now the rear.

It took longer to take the pictures than lower the bolts.:cool:

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Question, what steps do you use to get the car on the cradles? I have a less expensive set of ramps, 4 to be exact, where the ramp can be removed from the cradle. I back the car onto the rear stands then lift the front from the side with 2 jacks (lift one side 1", go around to the other side, lift it 2", back to the other side, etc.) then set the front down on cradles. Just curious the lifting method used for just cradles.

I ask because I'm gun shy. A number of years ago I was lifting my older 911 onto jack stands and almost pushed the car off one set when lifting the other side of the car. The jack didn't roll under the car as I lifted so it pulled the entire car towards it. I realized what was happening and averted disaster but ever since I've been paranoid.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
37 Posts
Be careful if you hit a dip at high speed you could put your tires into your fenders. Also keep an eye on the tire wear incase you just screwed up the alignment.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Be careful if you hit a dip at high speed you could put your tires into your fenders. Also keep an eye on the tire wear incase you just screwed up the alignment.
Alignment will change, adds about .125 degrees of negative camber to the front, a bit less in the rear.

No, you will not hit the fenders, travel stops prevent that. I have not heard of anyone bottoming out the car either before or after lowering and people have been lowering their corvettes on these adjusters for well over a decade.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Just remember, after you lower your Vette, there is a better than average chance that the places you used to be able to get into you may no longer be able to get into because of the lower ride.

BTW, what is the ride height from the factory and after it's been lowered all the way?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Just remember, after you lower your Vette, there is a better than average chance that the places you used to be able to get into you may no longer be able to get into because of the lower ride.

You are lowering a whole 3/4 inch....not enuf to preclude you from doing anything.....it is not lowering like a boy ricer with coils...the c7 comes high....and gm gave you the feature to lower a slight amount - actual to balance the height.

How many of you guys that preach gloom and doom from lowering have ever lived with a C7 lowered?

Not a c6, c5 or whatever.....further, please post a link to ANYONE who lowered on the stock bolts and posted he changed back to the high setting because he scaped and could not drive to places he did before.........I have never read one, on all 3 forums.....

·
Registered
392 Posts
Not preaching doom and gloom.

Just preaching "use caution".

That 3/4" could mean the difference between getting in somewhere vs scraping the heck out of the front fascia.

OP, any close-ups of the gap "Before snd After".

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Glen, I plan to raise my C7 as high as I can on the stock studs. This area isn't like Florida; it is mountainous here, and all types of cars scrape all over the place.

Here it is more about what angle that 3/4 inch translates into on the front than it is for the height itself.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
When my old one dies or I bubble to the top of the Z06 list at Boardwalk (#38 in line) whichever comes first.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
By the way, the old one is a 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue, and even it scrapes coming up the driveway on my side unless I come in at a sweeping angle. The wife's side of the driveway is much less angled. There is no way she can get her car (Cadillac ATS) in the driveway on my side. On my side, even if we come in at an angle to clear the nose of her car, the rocker panels would drag and get the car stuck. We tried it once, and had to give up and back it back out.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
When my old one dies or I bubble to the top of the Z06 list at Boardwalk (#38 in line) whichever comes first.
Oh yeah, and if I can make it to the Z06 arrives, I am going to tell them to leave the Stage 1 front splitter in the trunk. It will be for sale. :)

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Lowering the car to what I consider it's design height is really all we are talking about here. Look at EVERY gallery shot GM has for the C7 and show me where there is so much fender gap you can put your fist in. Go ahead and try, you won't find any. The car is set to the height it comes to us because they have to make sure it will be able to traverse the standard car loaders they use.

Anyway, run the car at whatever height you choose, it's your car, you should do with it as you please. Just do not come on here and suggest doom and gloom to those who choose to lower theirs. Whatever height you choose is within the factory adjustment range, you aren't going to have any suspension issues. Sure, if you are bottoming out at the delivered height then lowing it is out of the question but what's the worst than can happen if you lower it too much? Simple, you just raise it up. That's the beauty of this suspension (and coil overs if you've every had a car with those).

BTW, The adjustment is really there to allow you to corner weight the car, it's a really cool feature. I'm surprised none of the motoring press has expanded upon. If Grassroots were to review it you could be sure they would be all over it.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Rodney, all I can say is WOW. The car guy in me wishes GM would put an allocation system in place for the Z06 like Ferrari has for their top models, you have to earn the right to buy one.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
This is how to get the car safely in the air. Be sure to cock the front wheels.
Ah, I didn't see the front ramps, it looked like 4 cradles in the first pictures. So you do it much the same way I do, thanks.

Reactions: C7AMFAST

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Rodney, all I can say is WOW. The car guy in me wishes GM would put an allocation system in place for the Z06 like Ferrari has for their top models, you have to earn the right to buy one.

Hum... That is a surprising post, Mark. I am quite shocked you would feel that way.

Reactions: dwward
1 - 20 of 45 Posts