Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Corvette stingray with 18,000 miles on it. It runs great. I have been reading about the lifter problems with many Corvettes. Should I be concerned about this? I change the oil once a year before it goes into storage. I’ve had the transmission triple flush done and the tension belt assembly replaced as well as some cosmetic work on it. Thanks for your input.

·
Administrator
17,297 Posts
I don't think you have any reason to be concerned. The number of C7s with lifter issues is very small relative to the number of C7s built/on the road. You might find this thread useful The engine life of an 6.2.L LT1

Reactions: Flattman

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 2015 Corvette stingray with 18,000 miles on it. It runs great. I have been reading about the lifter problems with many Corvettes. Should I be concerned about this? I change the oil once a year before it goes into storage. I’ve had the transmission triple flush done and the tension belt assembly replaced as well as some cosmetic work on it. Thanks for your input.
About a month ago my 2015 began to run rough. Then real rough so I took it home and parked in garage. Tried to restart after shutdown and no luck. Tried once more with no luck and decided to have it towed to dealer. Car is well out of warranty and I was expecting the worst. Scan indicated # 2 miss firing. They opened it up and found a valve spring collapsed on #2. Said I was luck it did not fall into the cylinder. The cost to repair was high, so I appealed to Corvette assist. They worked with the dealer to understand the problem and helped me out in a big way. Dealer indicated this was a known problem with the 6.2L and related to the V4/V8 changes that are made while driving. Thank you Corvette Assistance Center!!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
About a month ago my 2015 began to run rough. Then real rough so I took it home and parked in garage. Tried to restart after shutdown and no luck. Tried once more with no luck and decided to have it towed to dealer. Car is well out of warranty and I was expecting the worst. Scan indicated # 2 miss firing. They opened it up and found a valve spring collapsed on #2. Said I was luck it did not fall into the cylinder. The cost to repair was high, so I appealed to Corvette assist. They worked with the dealer to understand the problem and helped me out in a big way. Dealer indicated this was a known problem with the 6.2L and related to the V4/V8 changes that are made while driving. Thank you Corvette Assistance Center!!
While I did not have a problem with a lifter, in 2020 I had a broken valve spring on my 2016 Z06 with about 20k miles on it. Ran very rough and all the dashboard lights lit up, but I was able to drive it to the dealer about ten minutes away. My research indicated that a broken valve spring on the LT4 is not a common issue, more occasional and random. I don't know exactly what you mean by a "collapsed" valve spring. DId you mean a broken one? Or did a hardened valve spring somehow get soft? The retainer kept the valve out of the cylinder and unless a retainer breaks it is unlikely that the valve would fall into the cylinder. I wouldn't think a collapsed lifter would cause a valve to drop into a cylinder but I could be wrong. The cost of my repair was fully covered by my long term Chevy Protection Plan. I believe that valve related failures are quite rare on these engines. Glad you got some help from the Assistance Center. I am glad I had the Chevy Protection Plan. --Bob

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive wheel system Auto part Rim

Reactions: jsvette
1 - 6 of 6 Posts