Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Reactions: U.S. Marine

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
There is somone on this forum or the other one that just recently upgraded his LT1 with a LT4 Supercharger. You might want to look for his post. There were several obstacles he needed to overcome but at the end of the day, he got it done. Yes it will require a tune and you might want to consider a reputable speed shop, because I don't think it is a DIY for most people.

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,437 Posts
I'd hang an Edelbrock on it. Designed for it and a complete bolt on kit.
I agreee! I know some folks have used an LT4 supercharger someone sold on eBay etc. I know it can be stuffed under the hood even though the LT4 hood is slightly higher, to retain the proper heat insulation. The LT4 also has some HD internal engine parts. The key is getting the air/fuel right, it needs a tune.

Buy Edelbrock and all that is done for you. They provide the power and torque at the rpm's that don't need the extra HD engine parts. If I were the OP, I'd save up and buy it and not have to deal with tuners, etc who may or may not get the tune right!

These are the features shown by Eldebrock, read within the words, (I put in bold) what a DIY installed LT4 charger needs!
  • Compact design fits under the stock hood
  • Low boost pressure for minimal stress on engine
  • Bolt-on installation - everything fits right out of the box
  • Self-contained oil system with 100,000-mile service interval
  • Integrated bypass valve helps conserve fuel economy
  • 50-state emissions legal

• No cutting or modification needed and fits under the stock hood and cowl
  • Features Eaton® TVS Rotor assembly; the same high-quality rotors used by GM on the Corvette ZR1
  • Self-contained oil system with 100,000-mile service interval (no drilling or plumbing required)
  • Electronic PCM programming module, with application specific tuning (included with street legal kits, see options)
  • Integrated bypass valve for little to no decrease in fuel economy

·
Registered
243 Posts
There is somone on this forum or the other one that just recently upgraded his LT1 with a LT4 Supercharger. You might want to look for his post. There were several obstacles he needed to overcome but at the end of the day, he got it done. Yes it will require a tune and you might want to consider a reputable speed shop, because I don't think it is a DIY for most people.
Yep...That was me! I have no regrets at all...I made the right choice to go with all OEM parts....very happy with the new power.

-M

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
11 Posts
I put an Edlebrock on my 2011 C6 Grand Sport and it worked well. An LT4 supercharger will work with an LT1 engine, but you do have to have it tuned and a speed shop. You must find a VERY GOOD TUNER and remember also that Heat is a Hugh factor in this also. I put the Edlebrock and a bigger Radiator on my Grand Sport to make sure I was not going to have any heating problems. The Edlebrock is a good way to go, but can be very Expensive. Again the LT4 supercharger will work with your LT1. Just make sure you find a speed shop that know what they are doing and have done it before. I wish you well in doing this.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
While this seems like it would be an interesting project, I would suggest the OP simply do some research and buy a good C7 Z06 using his car as a trade in and some cash. GM has already done the engineering so no problems with parts, tuning etc. And no excessive labor cost or time. Once you spend all the money to get this project done (and it will be much more than $3,000), Your car will be worth considerably less than a stock one upon trade in or sale, whereas a stock Z06 would hold its value. One never recoups their modifications costs. If you do a five year cost spreadsheet that includes depreciation you will likely find your overall outlays for the project vs. buying a used Z06 will be about the same, or even more for the modifications and loss of value. Plus if you trade yours in on a Z06 you won't have to wait to have fun. Just a thought. --Bob

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
This is an old thread, but for those just discovering it:

While it can be made to work, it could also be very dangerous. The Z06 has lower base compression ratio, and in spite of that has hardened connecting rods and pistons that the LT1 doesn't.

The Z06 maxes out at 9.5 to 11, depending on who you believe. (GM says 9 1/2) With the stock compression ratio, the LT1 would have much higher cylinder pressure than the Z06, without the hardened parts. Certainly much higher combustion pressure pushing on the pistons and con rods than they were designed for The Procharger for the C7 maxes out at 7 psi, and while it is quite reliable, people have lunched LT1s with it.

More detail: boost is related to altitude. At high altitude, the Z06 ECU allows maximum boost, but as you go down toward sea level it will reduce max boost. (Sea level atmospheric pressure is about 15 psi. At 7000 feet, it drops to about about 11 PSI, so the engine can take more boost at high altitude. If the supercharger makes 9 psi of added pressure, that would be a total pressure at sea level of 24, but only about 20 at 7000 feet. So if you live in Denver, and never go down hill, you might get away with it.If you don't push it too hard.

(Atmospheric pressure should really be measured in inches of mercury, but I think most people are much more familiar with psi.)

Also the Z06 ECU reduces maximum boost pressure as atmospheric pressure (an analog for altitude) increases. The Z51 ECU won't do that at all. You'll probably get max boost at sea level. Or maybe that's the difference between the 9.5 and 11 psi figures? 9.5 is "default," and the ECU needs to command more at higher altitude. I don't know, and probably neither does anyone else on the forum. But it's still considerably more than the LT1 engine is designed for.

At 7 psi, the Procharger is pretty reliable, but there have been some broken engines.

Agree with Warp Ten. If the goal is more power, just sell your Stingray now while prices are high, and then wait a couple of months for prices to drop and pick up a Z06.

If the goal is to wrench, have at it, but understand the risks and drive accordingly.

Oh, there is on other thing you could do. Put a larger pully on the supercharger. It will spin the 'charger more slowly, and produce less boost. Somewhere on the web you can probably find a formula, or a web page, to calculate it for you.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
1,735 Posts
FYI, this is quoted from another thread where someone recently did the LT1 to LT4 conversion!!!!!

"I just completed this upgrade to my 2015 Z51 in October 2020. My total cost in the project for all the mechanical and tune is $7500. I did go with the Lt4 injectors and fuel pump along with an Afco heat exchanger over the stock Z06 one for better cooling. These few extras alone added $1500 to my costs. One other thing I have since added is I found that I didn't like how the stock hood with the insulation compressed against the supercharger lid. I located a Z06 hood and had it color matched for a total of $1200. I performed all the labor on the installation and only had to pay for a tune so that saved on the cost for the new hood. I'm in for less than $10k the way it sits and totally satisfied with the outcome. I checked prices of 2016 -2017 Z06s before deciding to do the upgrade and I would have been out of pocket about $20~$25k. My 2015 was paid for and the additional cost of insurance and taxes were also factors to me. I know the Lt1 is not the Lt4 in regards to performance capabilities. I'm extremely satisfied with the 585 rwhp after tuning and haven't experienced any problems since the installation".

While this seems like it would be an interesting project, I would suggest the OP simply do some research and buy a good C7 Z06 using his car as a trade in and some cash. GM has already done the engineering so no problems with parts, tuning etc. And no excessive labor cost or time. Once you spend all the money to get this project done (and it will be much more than $3,000), Your car will be worth considerably less than a stock one upon trade in or sale, whereas a stock Z06 would hold its value. One never recoups their modifications costs. If you do a five year cost spreadsheet that includes depreciation you will likely find your overall outlays for the project vs. buying a used Z06 will be about the same, or even more for the modifications and loss of value. Plus if you trade yours in on a Z06 you won't have to wait to have fun. Just a thought. --Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
FYI, this is quoted from another thread where someone recently did the LT1 to LT4 conversion!!!!!

"I just completed this upgrade to my 2015 Z51 in October 2020. My total cost in the project for all the mechanical and tune is $7500. I did go with the Lt4 injectors and fuel pump along with an Afco heat exchanger over the stock Z06 one for better cooling. These few extras alone added $1500 to my costs. One other thing I have since added is I found that I didn't like how the stock hood with the insulation compressed against the supercharger lid. I located a Z06 hood and had it color matched for a total of $1200. I performed all the labor on the installation and only had to pay for a tune so that saved on the cost for the new hood. I'm in for less than $10k the way it sits and totally satisfied with the outcome. I checked prices of 2016 -2017 Z06s before deciding to do the upgrade and I would have been out of pocket about $20~$25k. My 2015 was paid for and the additional cost of insurance and taxes were also factors to me. I know the Lt1 is not the Lt4 in regards to performance capabilities. I'm extremely satisfied with the 585 rwhp after tuning and haven't experienced any problems since the installation".
Good job, because all that really matter is your happiness with your vette.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts