Stingray Corvette Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MacMulkin is asking $5,000 over MSRP(Even to those Already on the list for months)

EDIT: PLEASE NOTE, that as of Today @ 09:28 AM EDT MacMulkin is back to MSRP on All Z06s Ordered.

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/corvette-z06-purchasing/6418-ordered-z06s-msrp-macmulkin.html

=============================================================================================

"Right now I have over 250 customers waiting and I am only getting 175 Z06 allocated. So we are creating a wait list based on the following criteria:

Previous Customers willing to pay 5K over MSRP
Non Previous Customers willing to pay 5K over MSRP
Previous Customers waiting for MSRP previous
Non Previous Customers waiting for MSRP

Once we get all that sorted out we will begin prioritizing the orders.

Delivery times could vary depending on options you choose and factory availability of parts. First Z06 deliveries are expected in late December 2014 or early Jan 2015.

Which category would you like me to put you in?
"

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
From what I ready on the other forum, they are asking for $5,000 over for a Z06 order...

Quote Originally Posted by Redc7
MacMulkin is asking $5,000 over MSRP?

Quote Originally Posted by Redc7
FYI, here is their pricing:

# 1 Previous Customers willing to pay 5K over MSRP
# 2 Non Previous Customers willing to pay 5K over MSRP
# 3 Previous Customers waiting for MSRP previous
# 4 Non Previous Customers waiting for MSRP

An email from Tommy Jr.:

"We have 4 list going right now. Not yet taking deposits til we go through our customer list. Are you a previous customer of ours? and do you want to be on our msrp list or 5000 over msrp? 5000 over will most likely get you a car for the Spring. Msrp you might be waiting a while with mid 200s already on our contact list and est of 175 for 2015's.

Let me know

Thanks
Tommy Jr
603-888-1121 work
603-475-9903 cell anytime 24/7"

This includes people on the list from months ago, that were Told "we will be at MSRP!"

Yah Sure!

===========================================================================================

Also, this one is even clearer:

"Right now I have over 250 customers waiting and I am only getting 175 Z06 allocated. So we are creating a wait list based on the following criteria:

Previous Customers willing to pay 5K over MSRP
Non Previous Customers willing to pay 5K over MSRP
Previous Customers waiting for MSRP previous
Non Previous Customers waiting for MSRP

Once we get all that sorted out we will begin prioritizing the orders.

Delivery times could vary depending on options you choose and factory availability of parts. First Z06 deliveries are expected in late December 2014 or early Jan 2015.

Which category would you like me to put you in?
"
(None thank you!)

·
Registered
579 Posts
For such a Limited Availability 5k over MSRP seems reasonable. :cool:
Besides isn't production limited to around 5000 units total for 2015?

Guessing
4500 units for the USA
500 for the rest of the world to add a even more over Msrp. :(

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
Supply and demand is the name of the game. They are a business, and they are making a business decision. If you don't like it, vote with your dollars somewhere else.

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
We have not heard the exact number yet, but the percentages seem to indicate it will be in the 6500-7000 range for 2015 Z06.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Rodney, we know you're on Boardwalk's list. Are you paying MSRP to them?

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
Rodney, we know you're on Boardwalk's list. Are you paying MSRP to them?
That is my understanding, yes. If they ask for more, I will just wait. It isn't a big deal to me.

Reactions: Suzy Cruisy

·
Registered
32 Posts
5k premium for those eager to get their car and to show off as soon as possible seems reasonable while MSRP for people who are patient to wait for a longer period.
pay 5k more if you think it is worth it to get it early or wait if you think saving 5k is a lot better for a good vacation.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
The $5,000 Premium by itself is Not the problem:

Guessing
4500 units for the USA
500 for the rest of the world to add a even more over Msrp. :(
Supply and demand is the name of the game. They are a business, and they are making a business decision. If you don't like it, vote with your dollars somewhere else.
5k premium for those eager to get their car and to show off as soon as possible seems reasonable while MSRP for people who are patient to wait for a longer period.
pay 5k more if you think it is worth it to get it early or wait if you think saving 5k is a lot better for a good vacation.
The $5,000 Premium by itself is Not the problem:

As posted elsewhere:

c6bound said:
(Posted in this You are missing the point!! The problem isn't them trying to sell at 5K over, its that they promised many people they would get a ZO6 at MSRP and then when they realized how many people were interested in the car they added on a $5,000 premium. If they would have been advertising their $5,000 markup from the beginning and told everyone to expect that, I don't think this thread would even exist. You cant blame anyone from trying to make money, but they went about it the wrong way and have turned many people off to MacMulkin. It is poor business practice no matter how you look at it. I know I will be taking my name off their list!!

·
Registered
817 Posts
If a dealer told me MSRP (or whatever) and then upped the ante when it came time to place the order, I would tell them to stick the car where the sun doesn't shine and would be VERY vocal in the process. If enough buyers vote with their wallet when subjected to such abuse, the offending dealer will quickly find out the consequences of being less than ethical. It is not a matter of X dollars above or below MSRP. It is a matter of keeping a commitment once made. In any business transaction, if one party demonstrates they can not be trusted, the other party should server all ties...forever. To do anything else is looking for a headache. Life is simply too short.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
If a dealer told me MSRP (or whatever) and then upped the ante when it came time to place the order, I would tell them to stick the car where the sun doesn't shine and would be VERY vocal in the process. If enough buyers vote with their wallet when subjected to such abuse, the offending dealer will quickly find out the consequences of being less than ethical. It is not a matter of X dollars above or below MSRP. It is a matter of keeping a commitment once made. In any business transaction, if one party demonstrates they can not be trusted, the other party should server all ties...forever. To do anything else is looking for a headache. Life is simply too short.
Joel, what if Tommy Jr. hasn't committed to MSRP beyond a certain point when taking deposits. In other words, he may have accepted a certain number of deposits (number unknown) and then informed people of the $5K over MSRP after that number. From what I understand he quit accepting deposits until he found out his allocations. Kerbeck's didn't take any deposits all along from what I understand until just a few days ago. Unless we here the whole story or get all the facts, we probably shouldn't jump to any conclusions. Is it a disappointment Tommy Jr/MacMulkins has decided to charge a $5K premium, sure, but their business decisions are theirs, good or bad. Time will tell. Tell ya what though, many of these lunatics out in California are still asking $20K-$25K over MSRP on the Stingrays and sadly enough, people are paying it. I know John has been advising people all along to get on a list.... This may simply be another case of the early bird getting the worm or MSRP in this case....

I'm not defending anyone here, as I'm not purchasing my Z06 from Tommy Jr. I guess the point I'm trying to make here is like Rodney said, dealers are in business to make a profit and have the right to sell their vehicles for whatever price they deem appropriate. We can't tell them how to conduct their business. Also, people are more than likely going to be lining up to pay $5K over MSRP to get a Z06.. They sure would out in California.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It appears that most dealers have a lot more demand than allocations. I don't recall other dealers on this forum charging over msrp. It's a free world so they can charge what they want. However, I can't think of a better way to turn off current and future potential customers.
The largest dealer with the most allocation simply sent out an email to all on their list and they advertised on this forum that they're taking orders. Those on their list that were sleeping or too slow to react lose. IMO it's the fairest way to do it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The problem arises only if the dealer advertised MSRP price and a car buyer placed deposits or down payment already then the dealer suddenly changed or adds something more than the contract MSRP. Well adding a dealer markup isn't bad, it's just business but if a customer already placed his order and placed deposits for the agreed MSRP and suddenly the dealer changed the price after the agreement. That would really hurt the reputation of the dealer. It's either the dealer will sell it on the MSRP or the customer accepts the added fee or gets a refund for the damages occurred.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Joel, what if Tommy Jr. hasn't committed to MSRP beyond a certain point when taking deposits. In other words, he may have accepted a certain number of deposits (number unknown) and then informed people of the $5K over MSRP after that number. From what I understand he quit accepting deposits until he found out his allocations. Kerbeck's didn't take any deposits all along from what I understand until just a few days ago. Unless we here the whole story or get all the facts, we probably shouldn't jump to any conclusions. Is it a disappointment Tommy Jr/MacMulkins has decided to charge a $5K premium, sure, but their business decisions are theirs, good or bad. Time will tell. Tell ya what though, many of these lunatics out in California are still asking $20K-$25K over MSRP on the Stingrays and sadly enough, people are paying it. I know John has been advising people all along to get on a list.... This may simply be another case of the early bird getting the worm or MSRP in this case....

I'm not defending anyone here, as I'm not purchasing my Z06 from Tommy Jr. I guess the point I'm trying to make here is like Rodney said, dealers are in business to make a profit and have the right to sell their vehicles for whatever price they deem appropriate. We can't tell them how to conduct their business. Also, people are more than likely going to be lining up to pay $5K over MSRP to get a Z06.. They sure would out in California.
Agreed.

Based on my (one time) experience, the issue in California is that all the cars are going on the east coast thanks to the allocation system, and that if you are not a "previous customer" the big east coast dealer do not really care about you unless you want a car they have on the lot. If you go local, you can pay MSRP but have to wait at least 9 months and get hit by all the price increases that GM decides or buy the car available on the lot (that the dealer bought from the east coast dealer) and pay over MSRP to get one car without having to go through the long waiting list. (Not only you pay over MSRP but also you have limited options)

According to the above post , it looks like MacMulkins is just doing this as they know all their allocation will be sold in no time (otherwise they would discount it like they have been doing for non Z51).

As a result, if you do not pay the extra $5K, it looks like that you have 3 options:
1 - try to find an other dealer that has unused allocation
2 - stay on MacMulkins list #3 and#4 (or wait next year to line up) and take the risk to get hit by any price increase that may be much higher than the $5k as you may get a 2016
3 - give up and buy a different car.

I have to say that is really frustrating. Hopefully the other dealers will not do the same but value the trust we place in them when we decide to place a pre-order.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
as said on another site:

The issue is that people who have been on their Z06 list for months are now being told that they will lose their place in line unless they agree to buy at $5,000 over MSRP.

It isn't their selling above MSRP that has people upset, it's what appears to be a broken promise.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I personally have no issue with their approach. This is basically a 5% premium and those that want one NOW have a viable solution.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I personally have no issue with their approach. This is basically a 5% premium and those that want one NOW have a viable solution.
If customers placed deposits and were told msrp, then those customers shouldn't pay even $1 more than msrp. It shouldn't matter if they have 10,000 people on their list and 100 allocations.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes it is Glen, they changed back this Morning to Full MSRP, after a little pressure on various Forums, including this one, I believe.
I have been reading both of the posts on the corvette forums that i am a member. The internet is a strong tool. I am glad Mac Milkin changed their mind, but there will be people that remember this issue. I am glad that the people on their list will get MSRP, but it shouldn't have been an issue in the first place.

·
18,670 Posts
In view of MacMulkin listening to its customers strong concerns, MacMulkin has now stated that they will be selling ordered Z06's at MSRP.

Kudos to all our members of StingRay Forums who, in spite of the strong emotions on this issue, expressed their concerns and perspectives in a respectful manner. Well done!

Thus, since this issue is now over, with MacMulkin now doing MSRP for ordered Z06's, will close this thread. All posts/thoughts to be continued here please:

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/corvette-z06-purchasing/6418-ordered-z06s-msrp-macmulkin.html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.