Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a long story....started out with my grad parents 50th in 1978, them my father bought it and let it sit.

For 21 years. Flat Tires. Seized engine. Calipers? What calipers?

He died 11 days after diagnosis of lung cancer at the age of 72. Great man, great dad.
Now, she's got the rebuilt engine, dished pistons, improved cam, new Indy tires, coolant system.

Needs: Transmission, dual exhaust, new rear axle, new distributor, electric carb, heater core. Oh yes, mice lived in there, so there's the horrible smell of mouse pee, so some interior remodeling is in order.

My dream is to turn her into a common man's show car. Let's be real, I dream of Concourse level, but I'm a single mom of 3 kids.

I'm looking forward to getting tips here!!!

Best regards, Catherine.

· Registered
7,935 Posts
Catherine, welcome aboard, keep the faith and your dream will come true.

SF
Rick

· Administrator
17,481 Posts
Welcome to our forum Catherine! Hopefully one or more of our members will have some ideas that will enable you to achieve your dream :cool:

· Registered
32 Posts
Having the car sit that long obviously took it's toll. However, your list of things which needs replaced does not seem right. The transmission probably just needs to be removed and have new seals put in, the differential should just need a fluid change and a new pinion seal, the carburetor just needs to be rebuilt. I agree the exhaust is probably shot. I have no advice for the interior. The calipers can be rebuilt by installing a stainless sleeve in the bore and putting in new pistons and seals. Getting the mouse smell out is going to be an issue.

This forum is not geared to older Corvettes. There are other ones which focus on earlier cars. I would also suggest you look to the National Corvette Restorers Society (NCRS). I'm sure they have a chapter local to you. They are a great resource on older cars. It is best to get the knowledge on how to do it right before you make a mistake.

· Registered
177 Posts
You could try contacting Al Wagner at An American Classic in Delafield WI. He restores them all.

Reactions: elegant

18,694 Posts
Welcome "ThatPacecarGirl!" Like your prioritizing safety systems first! When I restored a '56 Chevy, started by changing battery, fluids, new tires, then front end and brakes. When I got a touch discouraged partly through, at all that was left, I would go through my notes and older pictures and see what I had accomplished. And when done years later, was a fun car to drive. Great tribute to your Dad that,you are doing this.

Sending you a private message.

Good luck!

· Registered
30 Posts
Hello Catherine and welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you have your hands full with 3 children and a rebuild of a great car going on.
I will keeps my ear to the ground and if I should run into anyone with parts for your Pace Car I'll send them your way.

Good Luck

· Registered
1,147 Posts
Hi, Catherine! Fixing uo the Oace Car is a great way to honor your father's memory. And depending on how old your kids are, they might be able to help with some of the easier stuff, making for a fun family project. While this forum is mostly oriented to the C7, several of us also own C3s. I've owned a '74 for over 22 years, making many of the same repairs you mention. Feel free to PM me with any questions. I'm happy to offer any help I can. Just be patient, get a good plan in place, shop for best prices, and you'll get your Pace Car back on the road soon!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.