Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my 2016 Z51 with the mag shocks in for State Inspection and was told the passenger side front shock needs replaced. I've seen no oil or residue on garage floor or in the engine bay. The service rep said it was just starting to show some leakage but there was not enough to deposit on floor. Would the DIC throw a code in this situation? It won't pass inspection without $1000 replacement after only 4,444 miles. Yes, I have GMPP Major Guard Extended Warranty (1 more year left), called them and struts are covered but not shocks. That's twice this $1,200 add on has failed me (the other was a stress crack in the windshield for $579-the service mgr gave me a break). Are these shocks that prone to failure? Anyone else had a similar situation with their shocks?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just took my 2016 Z51 with the mag shocks in for State Inspection and was told the passenger side front shock needs replaced. I've seen no oil or residue on garage floor or in the engine bay. The service rep said it was just starting to show some leakage but there was not enough to deposit on floor. Would the DIC throw a code in this situation? It won't pass inspection without $1000 replacement after only 4,444 miles. Yes, I have GMPP Major Guard Extended Warranty (1 more year left), called them and struts are covered but not shocks. That's twice this $1,200 add on has failed me (the other was a stress crack in the windshield for $579-the service mgr gave me a break). Are these shocks that prone to failure? Anyone else had a similar situation with their shocks?
Not sure why the repair would be $1k. You can buy the OE shock from GM for $368.74. If your dealer is charging you $1k shop around for another dealer. Genuine OEM Shock Absorber Part# 84235048 Fits 2014-2019 Chevrolet Corvette: Up To 35% Off On Every Order And Guaranteed Fit When You Enter Your VIN | GM Parts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stoan, thanks for the reply - that's the same part number the service rep gave me (for FE2, FE4, and FE6 suspensions). While I don't yet have the breakdown for parts and labor costs, he did give me the Labor OP Code: 8033590. Are shock absorbers that labor intensive to replace? By the way, the chevy parts direct website (link you gave) shows the non mag ("without ride control"-their note) shock absorber for FE3 for $84.57 and FE1 for $82.92.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Stoan, thanks for the reply - that's the same part number the service rep gave me (for FE2, FE4, and FE6 suspensions). While I don't yet have the breakdown for parts and labor costs, he did give me the Labor OP Code: 8033590. Are shock absorbers that labor intensive to replace? By the way, the chevy parts direct website (link you gave) shows the non mag ("without ride control"-their note) shock absorber for FE3 for $84.57 and FE1 for $82.92.
Sorry for the length of this post.

I went back and read your original note, the diagnosis came from the state inspection shop which in PA I believe are private shops. 'Shocks leaking' as the sole requirement for replacement has pretty much obsolete in the aftermarket for more than 20 years. I would think that if the shock is leaking enough to cause an issue, there would be a code set and a message on your DIC.

Seepage or slight staining around the top of the shock is considered normal. The image below is the industry standard inspection form. GM engineers were part of the 120 companies that built out this inspection process/form. Note that 'seepage' (Starting to leak) is considered normal. Leaking is defined as 'actively running down the body of the shock.' It might be worth the expense to have an inspection done at another shop. In my experience in the industry, we stopped condemning shocks just because they are 'leaking' and required another symptom to be present.

Another option would be to just wipe the 'starting to leak off of the shock' and then take it in for an inspection. Mag ride is pretty sophiticated and I would wait for a light to come on before I made the change.

If you decide to replace the shock, they are not hard to replace. I do not know if there is any ECM programming that needs to be done. Looking at my in warranty replacement, the labor was 1.2 hours which seems about right but would not be $700 labor. Interestingly, the same OE shocks are available from RockAuto.com (My favorite online place.) for $306.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stoan, I truly appreciate all this info, so no apologies necessary for length. I thought this was a reputable dealership, given previous experiences, but this latest issue makes me wonder. I know a friend of the family who runs a small auto services shop and does PA state inspection. I’ll take the Vette to him and see what he says. I’ll report back.

·
Registered
49 Posts
On my last service the tech advised that there was some seepage from my rear shocks, not major but you can see it on the top of the shocks. They quoted about $1200 for the replacement job. I will probably do it myself and plan to purchase from Rock Auto, they are at least 30 to 40% cheaper then the dealers price!

However after reading Stoan's post (above) I think I'll wait for while!

Thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spyder#99, thanks for sharing that info. How many miles on those (mag?) shocks? Do you know if there's any reprogramming involved with the installation (probably only with the mag shocks)?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Spyder#99, thanks for sharing that info. How many miles on those (mag?) shocks? Do you know if there's any reprogramming involved with the installation (probably only with the mag shocks)?
I'm the second owner of this car, I bought it a few years ago with 31,000 miles, it's got about 33 now. I am not sure at this point if there is any reprogramming required after replacement but I don't believe so!. I found a DIY video where the guy documents the job and if you have some mechanical skills and the right tools it looks pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I will add that if you have not had the mag ride update done, it is worth to cost in my opinion. So you could replace the shocks and then have the software update done. That would take care of it.

I know the mag ride update is subjective so I used the best source available, my wife. She went for a ride before and after and according to her in touring was more comfortable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stoan, I haven't had that done - for $350, I'm not sure if it's a noticeable improvement as I was happy with the current feel. Also, not sure if I should replace just the RF shock, or both front shocks. With only 4,444 miles on them, I'm thinking the LF is almost new and the RF is a defective one so maybe not needing both replaced. I wish I could see if there were any codes thrown in the DIC, but that's difficult in the C7. My previous C5 you could see the codes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the mag shock update done about a year ago and find it did improve the ride, that's why I think the shock replacement wouldn't require a recalibrate, the tune is done on the ECM not the shock!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Stoan, I haven't had that done - for $350, I'm not sure if it's a noticeable improvement as I was happy with the current feel. Also, not sure if I should replace just the RF shock, or both front shocks. With only 4,444 miles on them, I'm thinking the LF is almost new and the RF is a defective one so maybe not needing both replaced. I wish I could see if there were any codes thrown in the DIC, but that's difficult in the C7. My previous C5 you could see the codes.
If there is a failure you will see a message in your center gauge that says service suspension. At least that is what mine did when it failed under warranty.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The front or rear shocks do not show a code. I replaced my rear shocks which were leaking oil and the rear of the car rode like a dump truck. No codes at all and I do not understand what this has to do with a state inspection. It does not affect alignment, cast or camber and that's usually what inspection stations check for. Sounds like someone is trying to stiff you on the shocks. If they are bad, believe me, you will feel it and they are easy to replace and under $700.00 for the front shocks including taxes and shipping.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all who responded. I tend to agree that the dealership isn't being straight with me. I do not feel any difference in ride or handling since the day I left Bowling Green to drive it home. Next Tuesday I have an appointment at a family friends small auto repair shop - he works on Corvettes. Up until now I've only used him for me 2010 Honda CRV, but will get a good, honest opinion from him. I'll report back. I can't see the shock from the top, so I'm thinking it needs to be up on a lift so see any leakage. Others have doubted the relevance of a leaking shock to a state inspection pass/fail. I've looked this up on the PA website and it would seem to indicate it really has to be leaking - like, oil on the floor, which I've seen none.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks to all who responded. I tend to agree that the dealership isn't being straight with me. I do not feel any difference in ride or handling since the day I left Bowling Green to drive it home. Next Tuesday I have an appointment at a family friends small auto repair shop - he works on Corvettes. Up until now I've only used him for me 2010 Honda CRV, but will get a good, honest opinion from him. I'll report back. I can't see the shock from the top, so I'm thinking it needs to be up on a lift so see any leakage. Others have doubted the relevance of a leaking shock to a state inspection pass/fail. I've looked this up on the PA website and it would seem to indicate it really has to be leaking - like, oil on the floor, which I've seen none.
You need to take the wheel off to see it clearly. If it has a leak, you will see it on the shaft and it will look oily slimy and black. I had one leak and the other didn't leak so I replaced both.

·
Registered
838 Posts
To make a long story short. A slight leak or weep with these shocks that leaves no drips on your garage floor is not uncommon and a reason to replace the shock. It is not uncommon. Most any hydraulic strut technology will have a percentage of struts that weep or seep regardless of technology. If you look at previous posts about this issue you'll see the common consensus it is not a problem.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
632 Posts
17k miles on my 2014 Z51 and no need to change shocks so at 4,444 miles on any newer car is quite odd... I can't every recall changing shocks on any of the cars that I've owned over the last 30 years and some current cars with many more miles that 4,444.

Those warranties sounds good when you buy them but more often than not they fail you when you really need them which is why I self insure. So rather pay a dealer or company $1000 - $3000 for a extended warranty I keep similar money in an emergency fund just in case. If no emergency, I keep my money.

So, I take calculated risk that something is far more likely not to happen then to happen and also know from the many stories I have heard where when people needed to use the warranty there were many caveats that excluded them from claiming the benefit.

Sorry this happened and hope you get it resolved!

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I am the same Kyle. I have heard too many stories about people having an extended warranty, but it not covering the repair they need. After careful consideration, I decided to not buy any extended warranty on any of my vehicles.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am the same Kyle. I have heard too many stories about people having an extended warranty, but it not covering the repair they need. After careful consideration, I decided to not buy any extended warranty on any of my vehicles.
I would rather pay out of my pocket and save the headaches. I have an S550 Mercedes that I purchased new in 2010 and when the 5yr 50K warranty was up, the factory warranty was $7500.00 to extend it to 100K. I opted not to take it and took my chances. 10 years later, at 130K miles I have had zero issues just tires, brakes and oil changes. No replacement of any major component other than belts and pulleys. This is the 3rd S550 I have owned and I have had only good luck with a Benz.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts