Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traded my C6 in two years ago when the twins were born. Been salivating over the C7 and placing my order Friday.

Scoured the forum, read what you all have to say on the ins / outs...

Made my mind up on going with the Z-51 with magnetic ride and the salesman I'm dealing with has damned near talked me out of it... This is where I need some guidance.

The salesman claims, yes, it's a smoother ride but I will be replacing it in 3 years or 30-40K miles to the tune of 4 grand. Says it's not worth it. Says it's mostly for track purposes and not to waste my money.

Now, the cynic in me says he just wants to bypass constraint issues...

What say you, community? Appreciate any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Do you think he has your best interests in mind or his best interests in mind? Sometimes you can tell if you are good at reading people.

Also, do Corvettes have a history of magnetic ride needing to be replaced in 3 years with 30-40 K miles to the tune of 4 grand? Previous owners on this forum should know.

If it turns out that he was trying to trick you to talk you out of a Z51 because of constraint issues that his dealership is trying to work around, then, if I were you, I would find someone else to place my order with. Nothing gets to me faster than someone not being above board and honest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hear, hear... Seems genuine. In sales myself but I'd never intentionally mislead anyone for a buck. Keep asking myself "why even put something on the market as an option with such a horrible lifespan". That said, the cynic in me is winning... Spend a lot of time on the road and the option for a smoother ride seems like a no-brainier. Short life span or not... Just want to hear what the experts think.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Yeah, this forum is full of experts who have owned C6s. They can tell you for sure if it is true or not about MRC reliability. They can also tell you how much they use magnetic ride for touring versus the track. I am not an expert at all on Corvette, but what he said all just sounds fishy to me.

·
18,670 Posts
Let's first talk about the significant changes made from C6 (generation two) MSRC, to the gen 3 MSRC system in the C7. Gen 3 has two coils inside each shock, one wound clockwise like in the gen 2 MSRC system, however adding an additional coil, wound counterclockwise. The second coil tremendously improves the transition from the "firm" shock state to the "normal" state. Additionally, the gen 3's shocks are 40% softer, yet at the opposite adjustment end, 40% firmer than the extreme settings on the gen 2 MSRC system.

At the same time, it needs to be noted that the gen 2 system is so good, that every new Ferrari leaving the factory (except the race cars) and every Audi R8 comes standard with GM's gen 2 MSRC system.

"Do you need it" depends on where you drive an how you drive. If you live in Florida, where most roads are extremely good and smooth, no you don't need it unless you track car. If you live in the majority of states whose roads are poor-to-average, it will significantly improve your ride.

Will the gen 3 MSRC system last only 40,000 miles? Doubt that, for most gen 2 MSRC shocks lasted way longer than that. Yes, some gen 2 shocks had leaking problems, and repairs were expensive. But most gen 2 MSRC's did not experience problems, and technology has significantly improved since then.

Should you buy it? No one but you know that answer, for it is way to soon to tell about the reliability and longevity of the gen 3 MSRC system, and only you know the type of driving you do, and the roads where you drive. As I live in a state with some poor roads, not too many that are excellent, and as I like to exercise my car around curvy, country roads, I will be buying MSRC for my car.

A question not asked, but, FWIW, most believe that starting with the 2015 MY, you will be able to buy MSRC without needing to first spec the Z-51 option.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I wanted magnetic ride and my sales guy said its not as noticeable as you would think for the price. I really trust my guy not to mention he is trying to make me spend less money not more.

Reactions: Vetted

·
Registered
993 Posts
I'm thinking sport mode when I'm driving, Touring when the wife is on board/road trips, swap to track mode for the twists then back to sport or tour. For the short test drive I took, it makes a difference and I'm getting it on mine. First drive in T-5 days and counting.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Personally, I won't own a Z51 without mag ride as I intend on using the C7 as a primary vehicle. The inference that mag ride is primarily for the track is 180 degrees out of sync. Mag ride is primarily for those who want the capabilities of the Z51 yet still want to use it on a daily basis, road conditions aside.

As stated by Corvette engineers the ride quality of the various packages works in this order:

Base
Z51 Mag ride touring
Z51 Mag ride sport or Z51 non mag ride
Z51 Track

With C7 base and Z51 Mag ride touring being very close, the primary difference being the higher rate springs on the Z51.

Also, I seriously doubt replacing a defective mag ride shock, even if you had to replace all of them would run anywhere near $4000 but since the parts lists for 2014 Chevy's aren't available on the web yet I can't confirm it. I can confirm 2013 shocks with ride control run around $400 each.

Of course this is just my opinion as my "perfect" C7 is a 2LT Z51 with 7 Speed, Mag ride, Sport exhaust and Nav, nothing more, nothing less.

·
Registered
873 Posts
While this forum is relatively new, I have been a member of several others since 2001, when I first contemplated buying a C5, so I have a decent idea of what major problems pop up on the corvette from year to year. The MRC first came out in 2003 on the 50th Anniversary model, and people have been moaning doom-and -gloom warnings ever since about the expensive service needs of the F55 or FE4 MRC shocks.

Yes, they are more expensive than a standard oil or gas charged shock. However, you rarely hear about anyone needing to replace them. Occasionally, one will malfunction or be damaged, but I just have not heard of anyone needing to replace all 4 at regular intervals. Kinda like the published maintenance for the car. Except for oil changes, air filters, and precautionary inspections, there is no real service needed until 30k, and then only if you have a manual tranny.

Reactions: Vetted and elegant

·
Registered
220 Posts
He or she is a sales person.
A person trying to make a sale.
This may sound harsh but you are the enemy. These people will do whatever they can to lay you away and get money in their pocket as soon as possible.
It's not totally their fault. This is how the dealership trains them. They also want the deal closed as soon as possible. They also want their money sooner rather than later. The more they control the situation the better for them. Through knowledge/research you can take control.
When the sales person understands that he is not the trusted expert leading you down the road of the quickest sale possible you will finally get straight talk.
Thanks to this site my salesperson knows I know as much as him when it comes to the car I WANT.
I now have a good working relationship with the dealer and the salesperson

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Knew it was wise to post my situation... Spending the money isn't the concern, spending it wisely is... Appreciate the responses.

What a tremendous resource this forum is. Kudos.

Look forward to posting pics of my new Vette. Constraints? I can wait if she's perfect...

Thanks, Happy Holidays.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
For me, my personal thought process is magnetic ride would increase the MSRP cost of the car by less than 2.6% for the options I am looking at (tax is way more than that!) yet it is something that can also be used every day to help smooth out the bad roads around here. So, for me, I think it makes sense to get it.

Also, another thing that I though about at first but was unsure about was how the repair costs could be $4 k but adding the option to the car build is less than $1,800.

I don't know for sure, but maybe the salesman is trying to steer you away from Z51+magnetic ride to help his own constraints out. If so, in my book, that is not cool at all.

Whatever you decide to do, best wishes to you, and I am glad we found these guys on this forum who know their stuff!

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I don't think the salesman has any nefarious motive in his suggestion. More than likely it's a personal opinion based on some experience, either with a customer who had problems or hearing about someone who had problems 3rd or 4th hand.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt but I still get annoyed when a sales person, regardless what they are selling, tries to impart their "wisdom" on me when I haven't asked. If I'm unsure I'll ask for advice, if I walk in telling them what I want and they tell me why I really don't want it I usually walk.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I don't really know what I'd do with mag ride....I don't want all the z51 stuff and never track, so it would just be to make the z51 stuff ride softer. I can do that with a base car which has killer suspension for me. And as far as having it on a base car next year, I don't even need it to go flog the car on Sundays, as yllwstgr found out recently, the base susp works well there too.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a '15 Z51 with the mag. shocks and my car is rough no matter what mode I'm in. Can't tell the difference between sport and touring and my wife hates this car on any roads with the slightest bumps. I'm ordering an '18 GS without the mag shocks. My last two C5's were alot more comfortable.

·
Super Moderator
3,362 Posts
Just curious, what psi are you running in your tires?

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
I have a '15 Z51 with the mag. shocks and my car is rough no matter what mode I'm in. Can't tell the difference between sport and touring and my wife hates this car on any roads with the slightest bumps. I'm ordering an '18 GS without the mag shocks. My last two C5's were alot more comfortable.
Are you sure you can do that? Doesn't MSRC come standard with a Grand Sport? I tried to check https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/ to verify if I am correct or not, but, unfortunately, it is still down.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
MSRC is standard on all Grand Sports.

Reactions: rdslon01

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Reactions: Henry427
1 - 20 of 33 Posts