Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The "first generation" MSRC pioneered with C5 in 2003: (2:14 GM 2003 promotional video, including how magnetorheological shocks work): Corvette C5 Magnetic Ride -- GM Promotional Video - YouTube

C6 introduced the second generation which decreased shock reaction speed to 1/1000 second, increasing when selected both shock firmness and conversely allowing for smoother/"softer" ride. Fun 38 second video: Cadillac Commercial - Ferrari VS Cadillac CTS-V - YouTube. (And yes, every brand new street-legal Ferrari comes with GM's second generation MSRC.)

The 2014 C7 pioneers the third generation MSRC, which further advances MRSC technology by adding a second coil inside each MR shock (one of the 247 patents GM or its suppliers filed for in the C7's development). Second coil allows near instantaneous reversing of fluid plasticity when wanted, as second coil is wound counter-clockwise. This second coil removes the gen two problem that when the shocks reacted to a strong jolt (still in 1/1000 of a sec), they remained in that firm mode for several seconds due to the iron particles remaining clumped together -- for longer than wanted.

As we know, for 2014, MSRC (option code FE4) can only be ordered when Z-51 has also been ordered.

Questions I am hearing from folks who are debating whether to get MSRC in their StingRay include "will GM later free up ordering MSRC so that I don't have to also get Z-51." No one within GM is talking, but off the record, some are suggesting that this might happen as early of 2015. Nothing definite yet.

The other question I've repeatedly heard is "how do I compare the ride of the base car to a Z-51/MSRC car when I have adjusted the shock setting to its softest?" A magazine review indicated that having the Z-51/MSRC resulted in the car handling "as if the tires were 55 series." Another magazine said that the base car would be the smoothest.

While we await a head-to-head comparison, what do you think, and for those of you who struggled with this decision or are still on the fence, what are your thoughts/questions?

·
Registered
541 Posts
That's a great write-up. Thanks for taking the time to start this most informative thread.

I am still in the stage where I am "putting together" my C7. Mine won't appear in my garage until 2016 or 2017, so suffice it to say, that what's involved in planning for a C7 now will doubtless be different when it's my time. I'm just gathering the acorns for another season.

I am surprised, though, that there are differing opinions from reviewers. I was hoping to read and hear reviews that agreed with each other a bit more, instead I read, " ... The base model offers all the responsiveness you need ... the Z51 makes a huge difference ... you don't need Z51 unless you track the car ... Mag Ride Control is a must ... you don't need MRC .... ... blah blah blah.

I know the confusion and contradictory information will have subsided by time I get mine. I am absorbing it all in the meantime.

Great thread.

·
Administrator
16,583 Posts
Clearly the 'proof' will be in back to back driving of the base vs Z51, and then of course it will be to a large degree a subjective preference. I opted for the base as RedHot will not be tracked. I do appreciate the newest mag system that I have on my XTS and how responsive it is. But based on my read of the numerous reviews it was not an option I felt would significantly enhance my enjoyment for my intended use. I am less concerned with what some have suggested in terms of positive impact the mag system will have on resale since that is really far down the road and too iffy to guess. If the C7 is out of warranty the cost of repairing a mag system will IMHO far outweigh the possible bump in resale value. All of this is of course very subjective. I anticipate I will be very happy with my decision. :cool:

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm a bit confused by the article, it states the MNC can't be ordered with the Z51 but I thought it could only be ordered with the Z51.

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Sinner for pointing out my error in my original post, when I meant to say that SRC can "only be ordered with Z-51." Thank you (and I fixed/edit my error in original post).

·
Registered
658 Posts
Thanks Sinner for pointing out my error in my original post, when I meant to say that SRC can "only be ordered with Z-51." Thank you (and I fixed/edit my error in original post).
Oh I wasn't pointing out but only asking, lol.

Besides my last few posts have been a writing mess and I couldn't understand what I meant in a couple, lol

*** thank you for the thread and the C5 video is what convinced me to order the MRC. I like the added stability.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
The problem with some of these options like Z51 or MSRC is pushing these cars to the limits where these types of options have any real effect. Most of these features are great but very few of us ever really use them. Lets face it this is a race car no 2 ways about it and again not many will be driving these cars to their full potential at least legally. :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
The problem with some of these options like Z51 or MSRC is pushing these cars to the limits where these types of options have any real effect. Most of these features are great but very few of us ever really use them. Lets face it this is a race car no 2 ways about it and again not many will be driving these cars to their full potential at least legally. :)
I agree but the first video posted shows bumps at highway speed and how it effects the car. I live in tx and travel to Nola often so I need a car that handles horrible roads lol

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks, you explained one of my C6 issues. Had an 07 w/magnetic ride, under heavy de-acceleration at high speeds (120+) the rear of the car wanted to junp off the road.
I ran the can on the track in both modes to see the differance and it was night and day. We have a Z51 wich we tracked earlier this month and it handled better than the C6 w/ mag. shocks..
I have a Z51 w/ mag. ride on order and depending on when it gets delivered I might get to track it before years end, Our club has a day scheduled at a local test track in late October.
I will also be comARING THE npp EXAUST TO THE Corsa system we have on the C6.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Thanks, you explained one of my C6 issues. Had an 07 w/magnetic ride, under heavy de-acceleration at high speeds (120+) the rear of the car wanted to junp off the road.
I ran the can on the track in both modes to see the differance and it was night and day. We have a Z51 wich we tracked earlier this month and it handled better than the C6 w/ mag. shocks..
I have a Z51 w/ mag. ride on order and depending on when it gets delivered I might get to track it before years end, Our club has a day scheduled at a local test track in late October.
I will also be comARING THE npp EXAUST TO THE Corsa system we have on the C6.
The 07 with MR sounds horrible. I'm confused if its a good or bad thing to be honest. This MR is the only choice on the car in truly undecided on. I go back and forth daily because I still have time to change my mind.... Ugh

·
Registered
141 Posts
I didn't mean to concern you about the mag. ride. I think mine had the the problem that was mentioned. By adding the reversed winding there adding a degausing circuit which speeds up the release of the shock. Mine acted as the shock got stuck fot a moment causing the car to hopand at high speeds it was a little interesting.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm just on the fence and I've read that it's a good choice and its not needed. I've never drive a car with it but I really like the fact that it can ride softer or firmer. I don't like that lowering the car is more difficult but I really hope I will not mod this car and ruin it lol.

·
Administrator
16,583 Posts
@jsvette - what are your thoughts on the NPP tuned exhaust?
I am all for it :cool:
I love the sound and additional controls you have with it over the base exhaust- an whats not to like about the extra hp! I have had a similar system before and really liked it. RedHot is being built with it. I would encourage you to listen to one if you are on the fence. There are real advantages to having it OEM rather than trying to get one aftermarket for a couple of reasons: it is fully integrated with the electronic control options, aftermarket frequently have an unpleasant boom or resonance that you will not have with the NPP IMHO :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
The XKR I have has the same type if exhaust and its the best if both worlds, it's quiet when driving normal and it's louder when you step on it. I don't anyone will be upset unless they want a loud car all the time.

I don't know if its possible on the Vette, but in the jag you can pull a fuse to the exhaust and it keeps the valve open in the exhaust and its in the "loud" position all the time

·
Registered
198 Posts
Questions I am hearing from folks who are debating whether to get MSRC in their StingRay include "will GM later free up ordering MSRC so that I don't have to also get Z-51." No one within GM is talking, but off the record, some are suggesting that this might happen as early of 2015. Nothing definite yet.
Obviously, this didn't happen for 2015. Do we know anything about the likelihood of it being an option for 2016 non-Z51s?

·
Registered
9 Posts
"I don't know if its possible on the Vette, but in the jag you can pull a fuse to the exhaust and it keeps the valve open in the exhaust and its in the "loud" position all the time" posted by sinner

The NPP can be programed with 'settings' to be open all the time. It is also open all the time in Track mode. No need to pull a fuse.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Interesting. I have not played with it too much (250 miles back home from Atlantic City) , but I had it in both open and closed modes for some portion of the ride. I am very impressed that in either mode the exhaust does not boom as I have experienced (without exception) with aftermarket performance exhausts in other vehicles. When closed ("stealth mode") the exhaust is quite well behaved for those times when some decorum is desired (my neighbors appreciate it) and when you want to use the loud pedal, the exhaust can be set to satisfy the need to match the sound to a more aggressive driving style. Perfect blend on my opinion and I would definitely order it again if I had to do it over again!

Sorry somehow this got off track and on to NPP.

I also am appreciating the changes in suspension that the mag ride can make. I am really happy to have the adjustability. It is a perfect compliment to the changes in drive modes - sporting when you want to be more aggressive and relaxed when you want to tour from point A to B. Again, it seems to me to be adaptable to the way I want to drive today and everyday. What's not to love?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts