Stingray Corvette Forum banner

Maintaing your paint

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  glen e 
#1 ·
Hello guys, noticed that there is no specific thread about detailing, so though of doing 1 right now. So how do you maintain your paint?

#3 ·
Keep a fitted, cotton flannel cover on it while in the garage, out of the rain (and snow here in Wisconsin). If you take care of the finish right from the start, I don't think it matters a whole lot specifically what brand of wax/polish you use. I've been happy with Zymol (less expensive) and Zaino (a little more expensive). Is there a "Z" trend here? Once the finish suffers from neglect, it is not always easy to 'bring back'.

Anyone tried Dr ColorChip?

Al

#4 ·
Al; I think your spot on with your remarks. I also have found (the hard way) that too much rubbing / polishing can create its own unintended problems. It's too easy to grab a micro fiber towel to remove a bit of dust only to realize later that in the process you created some sort of surface scratch. I have not tried Dr. Color Chip. I've read both good and bad things about it, so it looks like a coin toss as far as its results.

#6 ·
As always... these are my opinions... others may think otherwise... With a black car I had (2006 Civic coupe), the worse thing to deal with was swirl marks visible in a setting sun. Again, I don't think the 'brand' is of utmost importance... (as long as it's not too abrasive). Most important is don't wax/polish if there is ANY grime on the car or with any kind of cloth that isn't soft and very clean. Look up Zaino car care on Internet, they used to have some good ideas for cloth to use for polishing.

The modern paints aren't as hard as the laquer used on older cars... you could sand and compound those to get a slick glass like finish (my '66 Corvette's Milano maroon paint was perfect... of course I rubbed it out myself). With new paints, a lot of care needs to be taken to avoid the above mentioned swirl marks. Even some of the 'swirl removers' are coarse enough to cause swirls!!!

Al

#12 ·
Thanks for the info... I will be giving it a try on my Millenium yellow '03. Only a couple small chips from highway driving. My worst stone chip experience was with the '93 1LE I had (see in my photo album). At a Summit Point Raceway track day, a car way ahead of me had gone off at turn 10, driven thru the gravel run off area, and returned to that track. This brought a lot of gravel onto the race surface. Being about a hundred feet behind the car ahead... when his sticky tires hit the gravel, it shot upward... and by time it had dropped, it was right in front of me. It was like slow motion... I could see all the pebbles in the air, coming down on the front of the car (sounded like a huge instantaneous hail storm - WHACK). Fortunately (?) it was only the hood and some windshield chips. I could have used that product when I sold the car in 2005. As it was, I put on my close up glasses, filled all the 'divots' with touchup paint, leveled VERY carfully with 2000 grit paper, compounded then polished. Came out very good for 'old technology'. More photos of this car, when I was trying to sell it on eBay at: Camaro 1LE

#13 ·
I've settled into using a blackfire regimen as it's easy and effective

After polishing and claying to get paint clean , I use duragloss rinseless and wipe on blackfire crystal seal every 8 weeks, no buffing, just wipe on.....amazing stuff ....sonax net shield is also great stuff...pm me if you want to discuss....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.