Stingray Corvette Forum banner

Do you have any shifting issue with your 7 speed manual transmission?

• YES

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • NO

Votes: 43 71.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi C7 owners,
I will like to run a survey only for C7 owners.
Do you experience any shifting issue with your 7 speed manual transmission? Please participate on the survey and explain which type of related issue do you have in your C7 shifter. Were you able to solve it? How?
Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
No issues. It's not the slickest manual I've ever had, but it's far from the worst, too.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Although they're minor, and I far prefer it to the A8, the M7 does have some issues. They've been well reported in various threads. For me the shifter is just not as smooth as it should be, including very rough cold shifting into second. Also, under heavy power it's too easy to miss some gates.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Not as smooth as some shifters and the clutch has to be substantially depressed to prevent grinding. It takes a while to get use to the higher gears but once you drive it for a while you will seldom miss the higher gears. I would rate it 8 out of 10.

·
Registered
165 Posts
2016 7M owner here.

1 - 2 shift is unuseably bad when cold.

Every once and a while it will kick out of second gear after 4 or 5 seconds.

FWIW, rev match seems to help even though I don't have a problem matching the shift.

I now go 1-3 in the morning until warmed up.

Note, I am on the Gulf Coast and it is rerely below 40f.

Crunches into 4th sometimes when cold.

MGW shifter in route as dealer and GM were unresponsive.

Unless they wrapped my hair ties exactly like I left them, they never did the requested shifter alignments(yep, plural.)

As to hitting right gates, your success improves greatly with use.

Manual trans cars that I Have owned.

72 Pantera
77 Rabbit
82 D,LRT
88 540i
88 Z51
94 SC1
2016 7M

·
18,663 Posts
I had zero problems with my OEM shifting/trans in the first four gears, not even the above issue some have noted, e.g., with shifting when it is cold.

Found that shifting among the top of gears was not precise, that in order to get 100% smooth shifting, both up and down, between 5/6/7 that I needed to totally concentrate, shift a touch slower. And if I just shifted at top speed without full concentration, sometimes (maybe 15% of the time), the shift from 7th to 6th, ended up in 4th, or the shift from 4th to 5th ended up in 7th.

Solved all the above by installing the MGW shifter. Was, and still so enamoured by the increased ease and precision of it, that I suggested to Tadge that he have one installed into his C7 and try it for a month.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The only time I've had any trouble shifting into 1st or 2nd has been when it's very cold, below 20F. And in those cases, pushing the lever hard got it into gear.

Overall, I'd say it's a good shifter, but not one of the best. Both my Z4 and my Prelude had smoother, more precise shift actions.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
From answers received until now seems that not all 7 speed transmissions are affected by rough shifting, just about a 30-35% of users, general consensus seems that is not the slickest shifter but issues could be solved by installing a MGW short shifter or adapting your way of shifting or to live with it. Maybe GM engineers should go back to the basics of a 6 speed transmission like the Mazda's Miata which has a very loved shifter, also another good example is Porsche 911's 7 speed transmission which has the 7th. gear lock out feature that driver can activate while speeding in order to prevent a miss shift. I wonder of why the 6th. gen Camaros came out with the 6 speed manual transmission instead? Do they have this type of issues in their shifting? Interesting to know.

·
Registered
302 Posts
3,200 miles in and no problems so far.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Drove my September 2013 built M7 for 3 1/2 year. Now have a Grand Sport M7. Love the trans, particularly Rev Match in "normal driving." Having only had standard shifts for my DD since my '41 coupe when a teenager I'm very good at heel-toe at higher rpms. However modulating the throttle when cursing in 5th and making a turn and going directly to 3rd is not nearly as easy. Rev Match makes a "perfect" transition every time!

Also learned to use the shifter springs early-on and that is was silly going from 7th, the 3rd overdrive, down through 6th and 5th to get to direct drive 1:1 4th when existing and interstate! Just pull back with no side force and the springs bring you directly to 4th. Also use that when passing an 18 wheeler on the Interstate. Minimizes exposure to rocks and trooper radar! :nevreness:

One issue I have found is can't skip gears and with the clutch depressed go into an intermediate gear to spool up the cluster gear (a habit I had with prior transmissions.) It confuses Rev Match. Have to go directly to the gear you intend to be in when you plan to engage the clutch (that is warned about but took a bit of time to break the habit.) Let the triple syncro's (in most gears) spool up the gear cluster! When downshifting can't even move the shifter to far even when in neutral into a lower gate. The Hall senors anticipate where you're going and can over-rev.

Also when ~45 F and below it's a bit harder to go from 1st to 2nd when the trans fluid is cold. Some folks skip 2nd and go to 3rd until it warms up, I usually just pull back harder. No grinding and fortunately in Eastern SC don't have that occur often.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Like Elegant, I haven't had an issue with cold shifts, either. It's a little bit stiffer when cold, but so is pretty much every car I've owned. But I never feel like I'm forcing or struggling with the 1-2 shift at all. And that includes cold starts in 20 degree weather, with the car sitting outside for several hours before hand.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
No issues. Love the M7. Cautions about cold shifting are correct. With practice, no issues getting into 7th gear (used only for cruising 70 MPH in Tour Mode on interstate).

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have used a Core Shifters modified Hurst for over 6 years, first in my C5 and transferred to my C7, and have found it to be the best combination of short throw and minimal shift effort. Has a more positive feel for making sure gears are fully engaged. With this shifter, never a problem.

nopattern2.jpg

·
Registered
593 Posts
With about 40K on my C5 Z06 I had a valet tell me I had a problem, the shifter popped out of first gear when he let out the clutch. Ii never ever had it happen to me before or since. I sold the car with 60K+ miles. It was the Valet inability to put it past the notch and into gear not the car.

Conversely, I have had the shifter pop out of gear on me (1st gear at least twice and once out of second) in my current car. With 20K+ miles on the car, is it me or the car? Should I go back to the gym? Should I even worry?

Seriously, I like the new car's shifter. It is appropriately notchy (Less so then the Z06 which is probably the root of my problem). The dual disk clutch however will mildly shutter if I don't engage promptly. Although it’s a better clutch, I prefer the single disk clutch on all my previous cars.

I shift from gear to gear all the way to seventh with little jerkiness (with or without rev-matching on). Plus, this is also the quietest Vette tranny I have ever owned.

All-in-all I have to say this is my favorite manual Vette transmission. I connect better to the car with this tranny then any I’ve owned in the past. And any problem I've noted has more to do with the person doing the shifting then the M7. So, count me as a "NO" vote.

I am not sure why the marketing guys don't promote the M7 more. The M7 gives you more control over the car and AFM then the Auto. I believe the M7 in the Z06 does not provoke the Gas Guzzler tax as well (may be wrong on this one). None the less, experiencing any variation from the posts here ( other then infrequent querkiness of the rev match) should mean a trip to the dealer because its not normal.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts