Stingray Corvette Forum banner

Do you have any shifting issue with your 7 speed manual transmission?

• YES

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • NO

Votes: 40 72.7%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Difficult to shift into 1st since day one. Sometimes you need to push through two notches before first is fully engaged or it will pop out.
Miss shifts on track when going to 5th. Basically trying to avoid 7th and hit 3rd instead of 5th.
Pops out of 5th on hard braking on the track.
Fluid burps on track when it gets hot. After fluid burp there is vacuum in trans after cool down.
Dealer thinks all this is probably normal.

Lots of rattles and drive train slop when on/off accelerator driving around town.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
There is a shifter alignment procedure (see attachment) that the dealer or you (if you're even moderately handy) can perform that might help with the popping out of gear and difficulty engaging first. Haven't heard anyone else talk about fluid burping. Definitely don't think it's normal. I'd find another dealer to talk to.

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
No problems at 21,000 miles. I do occasionally get the wrong gear. I've learned to check the gear indicator in the DIC before I let the clutch out, if I have any doubt about which gear I am in. I very much like the manual transmission and feel it is a continuation of all the classic Corvettes in years past, including my own '69 with a 4-speed. In my youth, no one would ever admit to driving an automatic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
2017 with 6500 miles. I've driven manual transmissions for over 40 years in dozens of vehicles. In a performance vehicle I won't buy anything else. That being said I find the shifter/transmission to be quite a letdown on my Z51. On my other vehicles I might miss a shift once or twice a year if at all. In the Vette if I take a drive of 40 miles or more and don't miss a shift I'm amazed. Installing an MGW shifter and precisely aligning it helped some as did putting some miles on it. The first 4 gears are not a problem. It's 5th through 7th that cause problems especially if I skip gears. It seems to me most of the problems are caused by an overly strong center detent and 4 gates to deal with. The only way I've found to eliminate all missed shifts is to be very deliberate, very slow, and check the gear indicator. Unfortunately that puts quite a dent in driving pleasure. I still wouldn't trade it for an auto though. If Chevrolet ever offers a twin clutch manual I would definitely consider that!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just put the MGW into my Z06 M7. Love it. Short throws are crisp, but 6-7 and R require deliberate and more forceful pressure. Coming out of 7, wants to slot to 4. This was also the case pre-MGW, but now it takes more lateral push to hit that rightmost gate.

·
Registered
240 Posts
There is a shifter alignment procedure (see attachment) that the dealer or you (if you're even moderately handy) can perform that might help with the popping out of gear and difficulty engaging first. Haven't heard anyone else talk about fluid burping. Definitely don't think it's normal. I'd find another dealer to talk to.
I had issues like grinding into 2nd cold or warm until corvette tech did this and since then, it's been very good. The way I would expect it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had occasional very slight grinding and/or balkiness from 1>2 when cold at first, which is common with the Tremecs, but changed fluid last Jan. to Redline D4 synthetic and that seems to have gone away. It at least is an improvement, but never was a glaring fault. Might be just breaking in, though. Never had it pop out of gear. Love the M7 after owning an A8 with TC issues. I voted "no."

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have had issues with 1st gear popping out and the occasional grind when going to 2nd. I thought it was just breaking in too, I only have 15k on my ‘14 Z51. Glad to hear this can be fixed!

·
Registered
633 Posts
The return spring is a bit too strong, IMO. One needs to be very deliberate with shifts @ the track, especially.

And, my wife complains abt the shifter--but she can still drive it like a champ. ;-)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like the manual and have had no shifting issues. I changed out the stock leather shifter for a ball knob. That lowered the shifter an inch and I like the way it feels.

The way the gates are set up on it I can't see grabbing 7th instead of 5th, but whatever.

I also drive a C5 with a manual and like the way it shifts too. That one has one of those Hurst short throw shifters on it that everybody complains about but I have had no problems.

·
Registered
633 Posts
One needs to be very deliberate with shifts @ the track, especially.
I should have qualified this: especially when downshifting @ the track is when I find it most difficult to deal with.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The C7 is my 12th manual transmission car, and has the best shifting transmission of them all...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Skip shift drove me nuts at first. Ended up installing a skip shift eliminator and a MGW shifter. All is good now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a ‘17 Z06 7spd, currently with 14k miles.
As many have noted, cold weather driving <40 degrees outside, will notice occasional difficulties getting into 2nd with occ grind.
So when it’s cold, I usually go 1-3 until warmed up.
Summer time never an issue.

As a side note, when I manually rev match (heel-toe), downshifting into 3rd sometimes I have to blip the throttle couple of times to get the rpm up.
This never happens going down into 2nd.
I wonder if this is a forced induction issue or lag?
Curious to hear GrandSport owners with NA motors experiences, since the throttle response should more immediate...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 75 Posts