Stingray Corvette Forum banner

Do you have any shifting issue with your 7 speed manual transmission?

• YES

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • NO

Votes: 40 72.7%

• Total voters
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
the manual gear box is difficult to shift when the weather is cold on initial start up, especially trying to shift from 1st to 2nd gear. it will also occasionally pop out of second gear. however once it warms up, I have no issues as it shifts pretty smooth

·
Registered
388 Posts
Mine has 25K miles on it and it shifts perfect no matter what the temperature is.I did install A close ratio shifter to it.A Core Hurst.Also installed A T handle.I never cared for A ball.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Update on my situation. On my 18 the shift quality was poor and considered normal by local dealer. Traded car for a 19 and it has no issues. So I guarantee some have problems and are worse shifting than others.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
No issues with my 2014 C7 Z51 M7 for 3 1/2 years or my Grand Sport M7 for ~2.

That said, when ~40/45F the 1st to 2nd shift if stiff. My solution is to be sure the clutch is fully depressed and to pull back harder. Once I drive ~5 miles the trans fluid warms and all is fine.

The early issue I had was learning my now current often used shift was from 4th to 7th (when on the interstate) and back. Often used when passing and when leaving on an exit ramp. Why use 2 other overdrives (6th and 5th) to get to direct drive 4th! Rev Match makes kit perfectly smooth! Best thing since synchromesh for a standard trans.

I switched to a 2 1/4 inch diameter cue ball size shift knob. Makes the 1st to 2nd and 4th or 5th to 7th easier, IMO.

The company that makes that cue ball shifter changed hands and when I installed on my Grand Sport it vibrated slightly then got worse. objectionable buzz at certain RPM's. Bought a "flat stick" MGW shifter. Great product. 25% shorter shift and silky smooth. It comes with a 2 1/8 inch cue ball shift knob that screws on so zero vibration issues. I bought a 2 1/4 screw on knob from the same folks they buy from (at their suggestion.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have owned my 14 M7 since last November, driven about 4500 miles and just assumed the shifter was sloppy as all GM factory shifters are. Installed a Hinson Motorsports shifter last night, and what a difference! Much shorter throws, closer and more accurate gates as well. It does require a bit more effort to find reverse than stock, but well worth it in my opinion. It does rattle slightly around 3500+ rpm's but not enough to be annoying.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Purchased my 17 Stingray with the M7 trans in Dec. 2018! Shortly after, I bought and installed the MGW Short Throw Shifter. This was money "well spent" as shifts are sure and precise, in comparison to the OEM Shifter. Living in Florida, I never experiences "Cold Weather" shifting issues. After accumulating 4500 miles with the MGW in place I'm convinced this should have been OEM Factory Installed!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I may be an oddball, but I love the factory setup. I came from a CTS-V that had the TR6060, so am familiar with 1-2 shifts before the transmission fluid warms up. That was a very smooth shifter. My current TR 6070 is very smooth and only takes about 1 mi. to smooth out the 1-2 shift when cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
None really, except I never had the opportunity to use 7th gear. Even on freeways 6th gear is enough to keep the car peppy.
Will never own another automatic corvette - no matter how good they become.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Now on my second C7 M7 and this one is good from the beginning. I posted this a long time ago but on my 2016 Stingray, the dealer did a known/defined adjustment procedure that as I understand it involves centering the gear shift or allowing the linkage to center itself without tension. That made a huge difference on my 2016 after more than a year of living with it as is. So, don't give up if you do have an issue, try to get a tech to pay attention to it. There is a known adjustment procedure available that might make all the difference.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Now on my second C7 M7 and this one is good from the beginning. I posted this a long time ago but on my 2016 Stingray, the dealer did a known/defined adjustment procedure that as I understand it involves centering the gear shift or allowing the linkage to center itself without tension. That made a huge difference on my 2016 after more than a year of living with it as is. So, don't give up if you do have an issue, try to get a tech to pay attention to it. There is a known adjustment procedure available that might make all the difference.
When you purchase a MGW Shifter for the M7, the kit includes a "alignment plate" which screws to the new "shifter box"! Its purpose is to "perfectly center" the shirt handle to the shifting rod cup. This tool allows the two clinch bolt on the transmission rod to be secured/tightened with the linkage and shift handle in the "neutral position". There are several good videos showing the MGW procedure.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
When you purchase a MGW Shifter for the M7, the kit includes a "alignment plate" which screws to the new "shifter box"! Its purpose is to "perfectly center" the shirt handle to the shifting rod cup. This tool allows the two clinch bolt on the transmission rod to be secured/tightened with the linkage and shift handle in the "neutral position". There are several good videos showing the MGW procedure.
I agree. But if you're past warranty, the alignment adjustment with the OEM shifter requires dismantling the console as if you were installing a new shifter. Might as well install the MGW with better bushings and a better overall shift mechanism!

Here is a PDF of my install with links to the video's recommended by MGW. BUT I found there are a few Tricks that caused me to call MGW during my install! This covers those and others like getting the 4 or 5 electrical connectors apart: http://netwelding.com/MGW_Shifter.pdf

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have no issues with my ‘15 which I have had 4.5 years now. I love my manual 7-speed. Unlike Blue260 I use 7th gear a lot - thanks to the 80mph speed limits in Utah and Idaho. I’m glad I live in the West.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Added two mods that help 1) Taking Off From a Stop, 2) Shifting.

Recently added a modified Throttle Body. Different and much better than the Vitesse Throttle Controller I no longer use. Here is a PDF of "Why and How to" install: http://netwelding.com/Soler_Mod_TB.pdf

Have had a MGW Shifter for over a year, 25% shorter shift, no vibration, smother operation: This is that Install PDF: http://netwelding.com/MGW_Shifter.pdf
net.jpg

For Forum Knob.jpg

61 - 75 of 75 Posts