Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With slightly less than 2K in miles, I took my GS into the dealer today for a quick check up. The clutch & shifter just did not feel right to me, very notchy, rough transitions. I'm not a newbie, I've been driving MT for over 30 years. In addition, I was having trouble starting the car in the morning, found that I needed to floor the clutch pedal down to start the car. Dealer found a diagnostic error "P0806" on the clutch system. They performed a clutch bleed which appears to have fixed the issue. So I guess I had an air pocket in the hydraulic system? No cost to me, this was covered by warranty.

While I was there, I asked them to flush the tranny fluid. That was $200 out of my pocket expense but I find that swapping out the transmission fluid early makes a huge difference in the shifting performance of the car. I did the same in 2016 with my Camaro 2SS manual gearbox. The GS now shifts very smoothly, as it should. What's the deal with factory transmission fluid? Is this normal?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hi, cmferdz63. I do not have any answers to your questions, but I will note that shifts in my 2017 GS got much smoother after about 2k-3k miles. My entire assessment of the gearbox changed for the better during that time frame.

If you indeed had an air pocket in your clutch fluid, it makes you wonder how it went from OK to worse, unless it is somehow sucking in air. Certainly worth keeping an eye on.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, cmferdz63. I do not have any answers to your questions, but I will note that shifts in my 2017 GS got much smoother after about 2k-3k miles. My entire assessment of the gearbox changed for the better during that time frame.

If you indeed had an air pocket in your clutch fluid, it makes you wonder how it went from OK to worse, unless it is somehow sucking in air. Certainly worth keeping an eye on.
Thanks White_out for the input. I'll keep an eye out. I took the car out today for a few back to back errands. Continue to notice the improvement compared to a few days ago.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I noticed on the service invoice that the dealer used part #88862155 (Dexron VI Automatic Transmission Fluid.) although my car is a manual. Not sure if that's the same stuff they used at the factory.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I noticed on the service invoice that the dealer used part #88862155 (Dexron VI Automatic Transmission Fluid.) although my car is a manual. Not sure if that's the same stuff they used at the factory.
That is interesting. My 2017 Owners Manual calls for different fluids for both manual and auto. I know of other manual gearboxes that take ATF, so it is not unheard of.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I just looked it up here. The recommend fluids have not changed:

So, using the Dexron VI may have been an audible.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting note.. I asked my service rep what was the deal with the AT fluid being used for the flush in place of the GM branded MT fluid. He said that it was GM policy to use the AT fluid for MT flushes. The older MT stuff is getting phased out and that the newer AT fluid is Dexron 6 rated , higher grade synthetic and fully retro compatible. I've been driving now for over a week. Shifts are smooth. No issues to report. But I did notice one thing. The temperature gauge for the transmission runs just a bit hotter after about 30 minutes driving. I could have sworn the temperature gauge topped at 125f with the previous fluid. It's now tops out at around 140f. Also seems to get warmer faster. Or it can just be my imagination playing tricks on me.

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
I have the M7 and I will check the temp today and let you know.

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Interesting note.. I asked my service rep what was the deal with the AT fluid being used for the flush in place of the GM branded MT fluid. He said that it was GM policy to use the AT fluid for MT flushes. The older MT stuff is getting phased out and that the newer AT fluid is Dexron 6 rated , higher grade synthetic and fully retro compatible. I've been driving now for over a week. Shifts are smooth. No issues to report. But I did notice one thing. The temperature gauge for the transmission runs just a bit hotter after about 30 minutes driving. I could have sworn the temperature gauge topped at 125f with the previous fluid. It's now tops out at around 140f. Also seems to get warmer faster. Or it can just be my imagination playing tricks on me.
I drove about 28 minutes in stop and go traffic. Top speed was 45 mph. Outside temp was 90 degrees.
START

END

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for taking the time to do this test for me. I'll try to replicate it tomorrow on my way to work taking the back street roads in place of I-75.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ran my test this morning, I drove around town for 30 minutes or so in local traffic in 87 degree South Florida morning weather, transmission temp gauge showed approximately 120f. Later in the day, I took the interstate for about an hour at 75+ mph, transmission gauged topped at 150f. The local temperature this afternoon was about 95 degrees. We're having some crazy hot October weather for South Florida. Somebody forgot to tell mother nature that it's autumn. Going back to the transmission temps, I assume that these ranges are normal. But I still think the replacement AT fluid runs a bit warmer than the original stuff, probably not a bad thing though. All good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts