Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Today I used the subject wax and I think I will use it again. I followed the instructions, IE: Washed, applied ceramic, wiped off with a microfiber, reapplied ceramic, watered down and wiped with a microfiber. Future applies will be easier. The real reason I tried ceramic is that while vacationing in Yuma I had to use a car wash and they had a ceramic option = $5. Ceramic seems to be the newest buzzword in waxes. Don't know it's longevity but it sure is easy to use. Any of you have an opinion or tried the product?

Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, current '16 Z06
Today I used the subject wax and I think I will use it again. I followed the instructions, IE: Washed, applied ceramic, wiped off with a microfiber, reapplied ceramic, watered down and wiped with a microfiber. Future applies will be easier. The real reason I tried ceramic is that while vacationing in Yuma I had to use a car wash and they had a ceramic option = $5. Ceramic seems to be the newest buzzword in waxes. Don't know it's longevity but it sure is easy to use. Any of you have an opinion or tried the product?
I did similar with Griots new 3 in 1 ceramic coating, wipe on, wipe off.
Seems like all the detail suppliers are falling in line with the ceramic coatings now.........we'll probably swing back to the old paste wax soon. 馃槃

Administrator
tippy, just my opinion, but I would be suspect that the car wash was truly using a ceramic coating, unless they had it highly diluted and hand dried the car at the end.

Registered
Also have used the Mequires product mentioned with good results. Very easy to use and provides a great result. Great price point when compared to some of the high end similar products can't speak to it's lasting affects as I use it after almost all my washes on my DD as well as the C7. Just spray it on after washing the car and before drying . Not sure how much "ceramic" it leaves but end result is good.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
tippy, just my opinion, but I would be suspect that the car wash was truly using a ceramic coating, unless they had it highly diluted and hand dried the car at the end.
I had those thoughts also. That's why I didn't pay the $5

Reactions: jsvette

Registered
I've been using it since it came out and really like it. It leaves a beautiful finish, really makes my Laguna Blue shine deeply. As for actual ceramic benefits, I am not sure 馃, but use it anyways as I am a Mcguire fanboy. End of this month, I'm taking her into Ceramic Pro for the silver package with paint correction, so should make things even easier.

Registered
I guess my big question about the latest "ceramic products" is what are the differences between a $15 product, a $85 product, and a $300 ceramic application by a "professional"?

I've had the professional application and it appeared to last and was hydrophobic for 4 years on my 2017 Corvette (purchased in 2016). I recently did Maguire's $15 hybrid wax/ceramic on my wife's new, 2020 Buick Enclave. That has to yet be evaluated.

I had had a professional application with the Expel applied on my 2020 Stingray. It was done by the same folks that did my 2017. I expect the same outcome as my 2017.

I wonder if anyone with a background in this stuff has any comments/experiences?

Registered
I don't have a background in any particular product, I've seen the professional finishes and the shade tree's as well, and sometimes it's tough to tell them apart, they both look good.

I believe there is a certain amount of hype connected to all these touted products "as the best" I look at from the prospective if that it looks good, you're happy with it, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", (with respect to an already shiny car show quality finish).

Registered
and like the rest of us - i am anxious to try my new squirt bottle of McGuires ceramic something... but last weekend when i went to use it i saw my McGuires Carnuba - and thought ok - one last time, i'll use it up.. after waxing the car for a couple of hours! - my wife came home, opened the garage door and said "that car is REALLY shiny - what did you do?"... i guess the old years old Carnuba can still shines nicely! - If the new Ceramic squirt and goes do as well, i'll be a happy man.

Registered
I was inquiring about professional ceramic coatings on here over a year ago and someone said save your money and use an Si02 spray and wipe. That's what I've been doing. Takes about 20 minutes and I do it about every 3 or 4 washes. Probably overkill but after 18 months I'm still on my first $49 bottle of Blackfire Si02.

Registered
In my humble opinion, anything you put on your paint finish is going to look good. I say this because anyone reading this blog keeps their vehicle pristine to begin with, so any product is going to keep your paint looking great. You can use hand waxes (always reputed to be the best form of long lasting shine and protection), simply use spray detailers (the simplest and quickest) form of protection, or any combination thereof. All my cars and toys always look good because I start with a pristine finish, and then keep it that way. You can spend hundred of dollars for "professional" products or you can go to OReillys and buy a spray bottle of McGuires detailer ($5.99 on sale) and have the same result. Someone might feel better about their shine if they spend hundreds of dollars, but the reality is that we all want the best shine we can get.

Registered
...anyone reading this blog keeps their vehicle pristine to begin with...
I had to laugh out loud about that one. I maybe wash mine two times per year... Maybe. That last time I washed it was sometime last fall.

Well, if driving it in the rain counts, then it does get washed multiple times per year. So, there is always that...

Registered
I have not washed mine since i got it new in early May. I just wipe it down 20 times a month it seems and use detail spray after spraying soapy water on it and clean and dry it.

Registered
Mine in the last almost 5 years, may heave seen a hose twice.
With all this space age goop I have on it, bucket of water, MF rag, wipe off, do some detail spritzing, at least once a week, usually twice.
And as usual, it looks good.

Registered
I noticed after using the Griots detail spray a week ago the car still has a very nice shine and feels smooth. I have always used Zaino stuff for years.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts