Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched this forum and cannot find this question yet. I have a 2015 Stingray with less than 5K miles. When I shift into 1st gear, I oftentimes hear a metallic "squealing" sound. I've taken it by the dealership three times, and they cannot figure out what's wrong with it. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Administrator
16,914 Posts
Welcome to our forum Debbie. If possible have a passenger use a phone to record the metallic squealing sound and then upload it here as well as share it with your dealer (presuming they have not heard it directly).

Reactions: somethincreativ

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi - The sound is heard only when shifting into first from a stopped position. (Good idea to record sound.) Yes, the dealership did hear it once, but they could not reproduce the sound. It's not consistent; however, the sound is occurring more often now. Will probably take it back but would like to know if anyone else has had this issue. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Debbie, I am also new to the forum. I have a 2015 Z51, 7 speed manual. I also have the same whining/groaning noise usually when the car is cold, but not always. Mostly the noise happens when I release the clutch downshifting to a lower gear with higher than normal revs. Sometimes the noise happens when I release the clutch after stopping or shifting to a higher gear. I have taken it to my Chevy dealer and they have not figured out the root cause, my guess it is clutch related since it only happens when depressing or releasing the clutch. I am just guessing? It would be great if a tech could diagnose what is going on.

Keith

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Keith, welcome aboard to SRF. Have you tried recording your noise also? Could it be the throw out bearing?

SF
Rick

Reactions: jsvette

·
Banned
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,698 Posts
There were some problems with the flywheels chattering early on. Seems the rivets used were working themselves loose and were replaced with a nut and bolt fix, all under warranty.

·
Administrator
16,914 Posts
Welcome to our forum Keith. Hope your concerns get resolved, as suggest to Debbie, you might want to have a friend record the sound to aid in its identification and resolution. :eek:nthego:

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
There were some problems with the flywheels chattering early on. Seems the rivets used were working themselves loose and were replaced with a nut and bolt fix, all under warranty.
Norm, do you recall if the rivet situation was a first year release, if so wouldn't the General have this problem squared away by now.

SF
Rick

·
Banned
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,698 Posts
Norm, do you recall if the rivet situation was a first year release, if so wouldn't the General have this problem squared away by now.

SF
Rick
I know of one that was discovered in my driveway, buddy drove in ('15 Z06) and I hear all this chattering noise coming from the engine compartment. Advised him to take it to the dealer ASAP. They replaced the flywheel for the above stated reason. On my '16 Z, every now and then, I'm hearing a very faint similar sound in the same area. Dealer tech says it's probably the flywheel, he heard it, says don't worry at this time, but keep an ear on it. Since then I've been to the track, some long trips, hundreds of start ups, I very seldom hear the subtle chatter. I have the B to B warranty for 6 years, it goes, it goes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts