Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd shifts in my 2014 Premier Z51 are fairly "notchy" until everything gets warmed up. Do you think a MGW shifter would help that? I don't race or run it hard. Just wondering what your opinions are as to what difference a MGW would make.

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, almost 50 views and no replies - think I'll just stick with stock....

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
There are 52 views now, and you have another reply. :)

I am sorry, but I don't have a manual transmission C7.

·
Administrator
16,302 Posts
stevec, since you stated it works ok once warmed up, I agree with your thought about staying with your current set up. My understanding is the MGW shifter is more precise than the OEM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd shifts in my 2014 Premier Z51 are fairly "notchy" until everything gets warmed up. Do you think a MGW shifter would help that? I don't race or run it hard. Just wondering what your opinions are as to what difference a MGW would make.
Hi Stevec - I have experienced the “notchy” shifts when my ‘16 vette is cold and also have the MGW short throw shifter...

Qualifiers:
1) I don’t think it will completely solve your situation (at least it didn’t for me)
2) The MGW is a firmer / heavier throw than stock (with a more mechanical feel)

Those both being said, I do enjoy the shifts more with the MGW and after 4+ years of driving this vette I just know to let her warm up before I really get atter. I’ve heard getting a trans fluid flush should help, but for me it’s only been a marginal improvement.

Hopefully this helps!

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Actually, I think I've decided to just leave it be. A tranny flush may be a good idea as well as a differential flush from what I've read. Thanks for the reply and your view!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also have a Premiere Edition 007/500.I have had an MGW shifter since it was new.It shifts great.

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, first other one I've heard of! And #7! An early bird. ;) Did you get it new? I asked a mechanic that I trust about putting it in and he said he'd be able to do it but never had...... so I looked at the video on the install and decided I didn't wanna do it so.....

Did you do the recommended diff. flush? I'm at around 5,200 miles on it and I'm thinking I'm just gonna have 'em change EVERYTHING....

·
Registered
12 Posts
The MGW shifter is fantastic. You will feel the difference. Precise and shorter throw. the best way to describe it is like bolt action. I highly recommend this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, almost 50 views and no replies - think I'll just stick with stock....
Hi, just saw your post now. My 2017 Grand Sport M7 also has a problem with "notchy" shifting. On the Corvette Forum this issue has been discussed. My take on this was that it is not rare (not common, either) for manual C7's, and the consensus on the Forum was that it usually works itself out after about 5K to 10K miles, OR replacing the clutch and/or trans fluid would do the trick.

I took mine to the local Chevy dealer twice for this, while it was under warranty. They assured me, there was no problem. "Working as normal..." and "it shifts just like it's supposed to..." they claimed. Now that it's at about 9K miles, I decided this isn't going to work itself out. So I took it to a local, well respected speed shop for an inspection. They told me it's a "dragging clutch" which seems counter-intuitive since it really just feels like a problem with the shifter. It almost feels like a good lubrication of the shifter would be very helpful.

Bottom line is the speed shop tells me I need a new clutch. Ouch! I'm going to get a second opinion, but if it's the same I'm going to contact the Chevy dealer and see what they say. If they now agree it's a clutch issue, I'm hopeful they'll replace it, as they should have when it was under the manufacturer's warranty. Hopeful is about the most positive way for me to spin it, because the realistic side of me tells me there's no chance of that happening. I do have an extended warranty that covers the power train, but the clutch is a 'wear' item, so I don't know if it will be covered. How much wear could a normally operating clutch have at 9K miles?

One other thing to mention is that when driving with the Active Rev Match on, sometimes the clutch doesn't release smoothly. I always thought that was just me not releasing it quickly enough. But now that I know about this "dragging clutch", I suspect that has also been a symptom of this clutch problem all along.

I love this Vette, and even if I have to pay to get a new clutch, I'll probably do it. But needless to say, I'm absolutely not pleased about this. I only gave you all these details to suggest that it may be more than just the shifter. Hopefully not, in your case. If it truly isn't an issue for you once the car is warmed up, there may be no problem. In my case, it's better once the car is warmed up, and also better in the summer time in general, but the problem never truly goes away.

Sorry if it turns out that I'm the bearer of bad news, but I always want as much info as possible when dealing with any issue, so I assume others do too. Good luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would always miss 2-3 power shifts with stock shifter. I installed the Kirban Kwik 7-Speed Billet Shifter Assembly and couldn't be more happy. Shifting is very positive and Ive yet miss to miss a gear. I would recommend this product as an A+ upgrade.
Chris

·
Registered
44 Posts
The first thing I did after picking up my new 2014 Z-51 was to order a MGW shifter. I have nothing but praise for these shifters and haven't had the slightest problem. What I really can't understand is why Corvette didn't make these the standard equipment shifter instead of putting the old shifter that dates from, I believe, 1994. I'm sure they could buy them for much less than the $300 bucks or so that I paid

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also have a 14 Z51, and unsurprisingly, I
had the same issues. The notchiness was alleviated by switching to an amsoil product for the tranny. My complaint was shifts from second to third on the road course. With the factory shifter I often found that my red line shift were ending up in either the fifth or first gate. I found the MGW shifter to be somewhat more precise, but mainly, I just had to do a better job of finding third. There are just too many forward gates in that 7 speed tranny. If I were to make my C7 a dedicated track ca, I would seriously consider a nice four speed.
It takes a while to warm the 7 speed trans up, but when warm the shifts were smoother, but the amsoil fluid makes the shifts smoother even when cold.

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi, just saw your post now. My 2017 Grand Sport M7 also has a problem with "notchy" shifting. .....
Thanks! I'm going to start by replacing the fluids and see what happens. As for the Rev Match - not an issue as I never use it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also have a Premiere Edition 007/500.I have had an MGW shifter since it was new.It shifts great.
I have had it since new.It has 12000 mi on it.The tranny does have to warm up and then they shift fine.It shifts like a HURST Competition plus.MGW is a great company.There shifters are made like a piece of mechanical art.I got the blue flat stick.You wont be sorry.I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The resistance to shifting when cold is back in the transmission... not up front at the shifter (I have MGW also).
Had a '93 1LE Camaro with same issue (fluid "thick" when cold)... switched to synthetic trans fluid and issue went away. You need an EXACT synthetic EQUIVALENT of the factory fluid (important).

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The resistance to shifting when cold is back in the transmission... not up front at the shifter (I have MGW also).
Had a '93 1LE Camaro with same issue (fluid "thick" when cold)... switched to synthetic trans fluid and issue went away. You need an EXACT synthetic EQUIVALENT of the factory fluid (important).
Thanks - I agree - thought I'd found it with the Royal Purple but they don't make anything for hydraulic clutch systems. :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have a 2019 GS M7 and experienced the shifting issues. Put Redline DT4 in tranny, and it solved most of my cold shifting issues. Putting the MGW in eliminated all the problems. Shorter throw, tighter pattern, and it just clicks into the next gear. Hardest part of the install was installing the modified dust boot-used a little Armor-All to ease it on.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts