Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 C7. Yellow
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a MGW short shifter today. It's a very nice improvement. Obviously a shorter shift, and a very nice positive feel. I followed their instruction video. It took a while, but was very rewarding.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Short throw is a nice mod. I put a Hinson in my Z51. It uses the stock shifter knob so it’s stealth. Very stiff new but has loosened a little over time. Hinson said to keep it in reverse when parked to help relieve the stiffness.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Short throw is a nice mod. I put a Hinson in my Z51. It uses the stock shifter knob so it’s stealth. Very stiff new but has loosened a little over time . Hinson said to keep it in reverse when parked to help relieve the stiffness.
Did they tell you How keeping it in reverser relieve the stiffness? It's mechanical, Working it and wearing it in would be the only way that it will relieve the stiffness..

·
Registered
163 Posts
Did they tell you How keeping it in reverser relieve the stiffness? It's mechanical, Working it and wearing it in would be the only way that it will relieve the stiffness..
When in reverse it maximizes the stretch on the springs. Mostly intended to help 7 and R.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Excused my ignorance, but which springs?
That would be MY ignorance. Brand new it was very hard to get it into reverse (also 6 & 7). Hinson told me it needed to be driven and in time would be less stiff. They recommended putting it into reverse when parked to speed this along.

You are correct. Here is what Hinson says about the shifter I have:
The Hinson Motorsports short throw shifter only uses the highest quality components. We utilize anodized aluminum, hardened steel alloys, and high grade oxide coated hardware. We also found innovative ways to ensure your product will last for years to come. For example, we do not utilize any springs in our shifters like other competitors do. The base is anodized aluminum with internal seals to help keep the transmission fluid in and the elements out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts