Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I’m new to the forum and in the market for a c7…manual of course…but what would you call high mileage? Any additional advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Hope to join the family soon! Thanks

·
Administrator
17,308 Posts
Welcome to our forum Lucky 7. Your question is really a broad brush question with no definitive answer. It depends on so many interrelated factors including: what options you want, a Z51 or non-Z51, how many previous owners, CARFAX details, what is most important to you in a car, what you plan on using the car for, etc. It (mileage) is far less a concern if you are purchasing a CPO C7.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome. Yea I want the Z-51 package. 2016 or better. 2lt or better. I want something I can enjoy. Put it on the road take a few trips etc. I’m eyeing a few cosmetic mods. Minor performance mods. Honestly right now I’m enjoying the excitement of finally being in a position to get what I want. I just wondered if there was an amount of miles to probably stay away from.

·
Registered
301 Posts
There is owners that debate how to open/close doors without finger prints and there's people that use them for daily commute. Engines are just as reliable was any other. All depends on whos pushing the pedal,

·
Registered
399 Posts
IMHO, from the perspective of a 2016 Z51 owner, don't worry about the miles so much as some of the general expense items that may hit you any day. The service manual call for a rear end fluid change I thing around 45 or 50k then plugs and wires around 90k. (I think but check me on that). Other than those known expenses, some folks here have had major failures around 15,000 miles and some have 55k miles of great experience. After all, it is a Chevy. Below are some stingray/z51 specific items I would search out. These are in addition to the normal used car due diligence.

Here are some of the things I would look for when shopping for a well cared for Z51. The z51 eats front end tires if the factory camber has not been adjusted. Check the inside of those. That said, the stock summer tires in my hot climate go quick, so get some experience gauging tread life for the car you are searching for. If you have to buy these soon it will hurt. I switched to all weather and they appear to be lasting longer. Look for problems with recurring issues like rear end service, belt tensioners, and infotainment systems. Service of these doesn't mean its a bad car just know these are some recurring struggles. An old battery can make you feel like your car has gremlins in it. At least that is my perception from this forum. You will find some who change their batteries after only a few years. Mine is six years old, never changed, on a tender every day and no issues (so far). If I were about to buy this car form me I would expect to replace the batter any day. Investigate the oil change AND VOLUME history. A search on this forum will show you that dealers and oil service centers routinely over fill these cars. Understand this issue well before you buy, and before you get your first oil change then check the oil level BY THE MANUAL before you buy. Check for cracked or bent wheels. Not as big a problem on these as some other models but check. I like the originality so I would ensure it has the brake cooling coils that come with the Z51 package and I would look at the finish on the fuel rail covers as the red paint of the lettering can be in rough shape on some.

Finally, to those who may disagree or can think of 100 more pieces of advice please feel free to share. These are some common items, IMHO.

·
Administrator
17,308 Posts
IMHO, from the perspective of a 2016 Z51 owner, don't worry about the miles so much as some of the general expense items that may hit you any day. The service manual call for a rear end fluid change I thing around 45 or 50k then plugs and wires around 90k. (I think but check me on that). Other than those known expenses, some folks here have had major failures around 15,000 miles and some have 55k miles of great experience. After all, it is a Chevy. Below are some stingray/z51 specific items I would search out. These are in addition to the normal used car due diligence.

Here are some of the things I would look for when shopping for a well cared for Z51. The z51 eats front end tires if the factory camber has not been adjusted. Check the inside of those. That said, the stock summer tires in my hot climate go quick, so get some experience gauging tread life for the car you are searching for. If you have to buy these soon it will hurt. I switched to all weather and they appear to be lasting longer. Look for problems with recurring issues like rear end service, belt tensioners, and infotainment systems. Service of these doesn't mean its a bad car just know these are some recurring struggles. An old battery can make you feel like your car has gremlins in it. At least that is my perception from this forum. You will find some who change their batteries after only a few years. Mine is six years old, never changed, on a tender every day and no issues (so far). If I were about to buy this car form me I would expect to replace the batter any day. Investigate the oil change AND VOLUME history. A search on this forum will show you that dealers and oil service centers routinely over fill these cars. Understand this issue well before you buy, and before you get your first oil change then check the oil level BY THE MANUAL before you buy. Check for cracked or bent wheels. Not as big a problem on these as some other models but check. I like the originality so I would ensure it has the brake cooling coils that come with the Z51 package and I would look at the finish on the fuel rail covers as the red paint of the lettering can be in rough shape on some.

Finally, to those who may disagree or can think of 100 more pieces of advice please feel free to share. These are some common items, IMHO.
I'd add if you have a good relationship with your Service Manager, have them run the VIN to look up the service record/service history for the prospective purchase regardless of where the prospective car is located. They can tell you a lot that the CARFAX, VIN check and other 'public side' information doesn't normally reveal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Some interesting responses here and I have little reason to take issues with any of them, But one thing that is starting to play on my mind: what's the "big Deal" with the Z51 or any of the other performnce enhancing packages and options. Make no mistake, as I peruse the ads and related prices, it's clear that such features appear to have an effect on price. No issue there. But, that said, I have a 2LT Stingray and it has all - perhaps more - performance than my 76 year old body and related aging eyesight and related reflexes could possibly need. Forgetting resale possibilities, why do so many of you - resale notwithstanding - prefer these options? A dry sump engine? why? More HP? why? If you track your car, I can understand, but, to my casual observation, the options really - to my one good eye - don't seem to scream out, look at me I'm the best-handling, fastest guy on this 55 MPH stretch of freeway. Now, a ZO6 may be a different matter altogether given the scarcity, but, c'mon, what do you plan to do with all that stuff, other than make higher payments?

Please try not to read too much into this. I'm not envious, but. other than resale values or having bought your C7 used, what's the big deal over, say a 1LT, or up to a 3LT?
Just curious... Have at me

·
Administrator
17,308 Posts
Last901 you seem to have confused C7 variants (non-Z51, Z51, GS, and Z06) with interior level options (1LT, 2LT and 3LT). I suggest you look at the specifications relating to each of the variants and interior level options. The explanations of the differences are fairly clear. What one chooses and why one chooses specific options and models tends to be personal preference and one of the beauties of choosing a Corvette. Your post is off the topic of the original member post here as well as other member responses. FWIW, Stingray Forums is not a forum where we try in your words to "Have at me."

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well jsvette, I can't argue with your comments, but I based my (informal) findings based solely on ads, which typically do not include the level of detail you offer. Typically ads include only the - I'[[ call them "signicant levels" of trim. Certainly other otions, like those you mention will obviously have some effect and I have no issues with that. My apologies if I presented my observations in the wrong forum discussion. For sales ads often do include all those options in personal ads like those

was pretty certain, others might question my logic and conclusions, Thus the "Have at Me" salutation

May be the wrong thing to say, but after all, this is a forum, isn't it?

·
Administrator
17,308 Posts
Well jsvette, I can't argue with your comments, but I based my (informal) findings based solely on ads, which typically do not include the level of detail you offer. Typically ads include only the - I'[[ call them "signicant levels" of trim. Certainly other otions, like those you mention will obviously have some effect and I have no issues with that. My apologies if I presented my observations in the wrong forum discussion. For sales ads often do include all those options in personal ads like those

was pretty certain, others might question my logic and conclusions, Thus the "Have at Me" salutation

May be the wrong thing to say, but after all, this is a forum, isn't it?
Indeed SRF is a forum, but we strive to be different from many other forums in being friendly and supportive.

Reactions: noxqq

·
Registered
20 Posts
Indeed SRF is a forum, but we strive to be different from many other forums in being friendly and supportive.
Yep, I agree, for the most part, but if but if being, as you say, friendly and supportive is all what this forum is about then it's not really a Forum, is it.

To Wit: a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged. It's not just a "Mutual Admiration Society Exchange" Or is it? :unsure:
C'mon,

·
Administrator
17,308 Posts
Yep, I agree, for the most part, but if but if being, as you say, friendly and supportive is all what this forum is about then it's not really a Forum, is it.

To Wit: a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged. It's not just a "Mutual Admiration Society Exchange" Or is it? :unsure:
C'mon,
My guess is this is not the forum for you if you are uncomfortable with the way it is and has been run since its inception. Please refrain from hijacking this thread further. Feel free to send me a private message via "Conversation"

·
Registered
301 Posts
Some interesting responses here and I have little reason to take issues with any of them, But one thing that is starting to play on my mind: what's the "big Deal" with the Z51 or any of the other performnce enhancing packages and options. Make no mistake, as I peruse the ads and related prices, it's clear that such features appear to have an effect on price. No issue there. But, that said, I have a 2LT Stingray and it has all - perhaps more - performance than my 76 year old body and related aging eyesight and related reflexes could possibly need. Forgetting resale possibilities, why do so many of you - resale notwithstanding - prefer these options? A dry sump engine? why? More HP? why? If you track your car, I can understand, but, to my casual observation, the options really - to my one good eye - don't seem to scream out, look at me I'm the best-handling, fastest guy on this 55 MPH stretch of freeway. Now, a ZO6 may be a different matter altogether given the scarcity, but, c'mon, what do you plan to do with all that stuff, other than make higher payments?

Please try not to read too much into this. I'm not envious, but. other than resale values or having bought your C7 used, what's the big deal over, say a 1LT, or up to a 3LT?
Just curious... Have at me
If you don't like the other options, then don't buy it. However, I do like them for my own personal reasons. I bought my car based on my wants, no one elses.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts