Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone had this problem.
Because a scratch in the leather the left door panel was replaced. Now the new door panel upper silver molding and stitching does not line up with molding and stitching on the dash. (SEE PHOTO.) The service man adjusted it as much as he could but it's still way off. He doesn't know even if a replace panel will fix it. I looked at other Vettes at the Dealership and some of them are perfect and some are slightly off. He's getting in touch with GM to see if there's a fix. If anyone has had this problem and corrected it please let me know what happened. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
BondoJohn, you can't help but notice how much the stitching is off or is the entire panel off. You look at other C7's on the lot that were slightly off, were any of them out of line as bad as yours? I've never seen a post on SRF concerning this type of situation, but it does need to be squared away. Hopefully the General advises the service tech exactly what needs to be done and they get your C7 Masterpiece squared away ASAP!!

SF
Rick

·
18,670 Posts
Regarding the door's vertical alignment trim problem, mine came like that, in fact worse. Got out a hair dryer and heated the aluminum its upwardmost 12" and gently/firmly/slowly pushed it upwards. It now aligns perfectly with the dash.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I looked at other C7's some were aligned perfectly but most were a little off. Mine was worst than anyone.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't imagine how you were able to move that panel sidewise to repair the misalignment with a hair dryer. Could you elaberate more on how you did it.

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
I can't imagine how you were able to move that panel sidewise to repair the misalignment with a hair dryer. Could you elaberate more on how you did it.
If I correctly understood what he wrote, he didn't adjust the panel sideways because he didn't have the misalignment which you have. He only had a vertical misalignment, so he only pushed upwards in the vertical direction.

In your case, your worst misalignment seems to be in the horizontal direction. So, I think you need to look for a different solution, since you seem to have a different problem.

I would guess that your door panel was not assembled correctly when it was replaced. Maybe something didn't completely snap in. That is where I would look first, by having the service technician carefully reread the removal and replacement instructions, take the panel back off a second time, and then carefully reinstall it a third time, making sure it is done correctly step-by-step this time.

Reactions: elegant

·
18,670 Posts
Rodney, I like your analysis and your suggested approach to getting the OP's horizontal misalignment fixed. As you properly surmised, my issue, while very ugly to initially look at, was strictly a vertical misalignment.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And elegant I like your excellent analysis in discussing alignment of the door panel. The service tech removed and reinstall the panel multiple times without success. I'm in touch with customer survice Chevy division about the problem. If and when the solution is discovered I'll post results.

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,435 Posts
Regarding the door's vertical alignment trim problem, mine came like that, in fact worse. Got out a hair dryer and heated the aluminum its upwardmost 12" and gently/firmly/slowly pushed it upwards. It now aligns perfectly with the dash.
Thanks for the idea. Been worrying about replacing that door 'spear' and having it misaligned! I added a red upper dash pad to my red interior 2LT. But it leaves my door 'spear' black. The 'spear can be recovered and carefully stitched to match for ~$300. The 2LT 2018 has the upper dash pad seat color as standard and I presume the driver's door 'spear' as well.

Even if I paid the price, was worried about getting it off and back on and having it aligned properly. Mixed info about how it comes off. Some say remove the whole door panel others it can be done by removing the aluminum trim etc. Either way, getting it aligned properly may not be easy! May e a reason GM doesn't offer that part separately!

For now living with black and frankly hardly notice when sitting in the car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Did you check out this car before you took delivery and paid your money? Who is giving these cars their final inspection and lets things like this get out the door, someone isn't doing their job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts